What Equipment do I Need?

If I were to buy a rod and line for carp fishing, how strong should it be? I currently have a 14-pound rod (Same strength line), but usually only use this for small fish. 

Also, what kind of bait/hooks work best for carp fishing? 

I plan to start carp fishing this summer, so that's why I'm asking. 

On 30/04/2022 at 02:55, Golden Paws said:

14lb rod??? Rods are rated as test curves and are calculated by clamping the butt section vertically and then pulling the line with a spring balance until the tip is horizontal.

https://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/tackle-reviews/accessories/how-to-start-carp-fishing/

This is a good starting point.

Wow, I didn't know that. I just thought that was the point at which the rod snapped. Should a 14-lb rod be okay, though? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 22:09, Gato_Amigo111 said:

Wow, I didn't know that. I just thought that was the point at which the rod snapped. Should a 14-lb rod be okay, though? 

a light catfish rod should be an easy find in the US, a sea casting reel, 15 lb line weights hooks and bait, will see you fishing, might want some sort of mat or bit of tarp to unhook the fish on and you will be golden, you don't need much to get carp fishing, most of what you see us brits do is down to serious competition on the lakes, carp fishing in the US would be a lot more wild and natural. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

a light catfish rod should be an easy find in the US, a sea casting reel, 15 lb line weights hooks and bait, will see you fishing, might want some sort of mat or bit of tarp to unhook the fish on and you will be golden, you don't need much to get carp fishing, most of what you see us brits do is down to serious competition on the lakes, carp fishing in the US would be a lot more wild and natural. 

Thanks, I'll remember that.