friedrich wilhelm Mercury

Carpbell_ll

Thought i'd better do a freddie progres thread save filling the fishing dogs thread.

Take it as a warning about nippy little terriers that sometimes aren't that little and need firmly but nicely keeping inline as i have said this is scamps third home, she renamed him after her fav singer due to him singing us the songs of his people all the way home from getting him. think he would of been heading to the shelter if i didn't take him, two others had already refused him too big to be a jack. he would be one of those dogs that can't be rehomed once they ran him through their induction. he had a real tick undercoat that had never been removed and his top coat was far too long for a constant maulter, he let me sort all that no bother finished him with a stripping comb, looks nice and not shedding everywhere. he has no problem with me doing that from day one, i once had a cairn that would hurt you if you groomed her wrong, no problems from the fredster.  

wild little git for the first few days but very nice and friendly, i did get him a head halter on friday he don't like it but will have it on when he earns it by mouthing off at other dogs it does calm him down and he walks real nice on it, so that's a start, he is still a pup at 2 years old last march, kinda getting tired of experts asking if he is a mix, even the guy in the pet shop was flapping it really was struggling to hold the P word in, yet over on a site where they keep serious terriers there is doubt the Rushill line jacks can work, not that it bothers me i knew nothing about the dog when i got him real lucky find, he does not have a staffie or P dogs front legs the gap is far to narrow plus a few other things other than the size and shape of his head, massive with a very fine set of teeth nothing like you would see in any type of bull terrier.  the mrs is absolutely smitten with him she thinks he has staffie in him. not even dave has the front legs of a ground terrier but he has got the big bone crusher teeth, same for my Patterdale he had a crazy looking set of back teeth,  i'll go with what the guys on the dog site say, it's a non working/ working country show dog jack russell. 

20220411_112512.jpg

those mean terrier guys lol they love him getting the kind of advice you wouldn't expect from such a group of people he has a real strong interest in horses when i explained it to the guys they quickly stepped in and advised me to be very careful in that situation as he has gone into hunt mode, he sits and watches not a sound. they advise i get him to a dog trainer which i already planned on doing, going to book him in at the dog kennels for the classes they do. 

I will take is as a compliment from some of those lads when they say he won't work they are the kind of dog owners that can annoy me with there do or die attitude.  their dogs though, and they do know their onions just wish they would be a bit more pet friendly, they look down on any dog that is not kenneled. 

7 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I will take is as a compliment from some of those lads when they say he won't work they are the kind of dog owners that can annoy me with there do or die attitude.  their dogs though, and they do know their onions just wish they would be a bit more pet friendly, they look down on any dog that is not kenneled. 

When I was training hunting retrievers I heard and read a lot of advice from people who cared more about getting the Ch for Champion designation in their dogs' pedigrees than they did about their dogs.  The breeder I worked for kept his dogs in kennels, but when you have 6 or 8 large hunting dogs they aren't usually house pets.  When we sold one that was going to be a family pet as well as a working dog, or if we had one that wasn't going to make a retriever (for whatever reason) and they were given away as a companion dog,  we always felt good about that.

lol just got the quote back from the dog trainer lady i had in mind, another one that shys away from terriers she is very good and fair play if she can charge that kind of money, plus the mrs found out and it was a big no from her, he is getting better slightly with other dogs, if they are nice with him he is getting ok to say hello. the trainer lady wanted 155 for a consultation lasting 1 hour then it was 200 a month for two 45 min a month 121 sessions. she mainly works with novice owners by the sound of it,  hopping she may have a few nifty tricks for having a off lead dog i have seen her out with a pack of dogs all off lead all being brilliant.

the farm i had in mind will let me book a field so i can do some off lead stuff 10 for the hour all secure going to take him friday with his live in dog trainer lady.  

getting much better, just took him over the lake i'm going to fish next week no barking and no trying to get the ducks went past a few dogs on his walk, didn't even notice them, going up the farm with him this afternoon let him off lead. getting there he was going after traffic three weeks back. 

also learnt a bit more about him he may be from a line that was sent to the Irish republic and improved in dog lingo, then the line was brought back to England to be bred on, to what would be the original type Jack or fox terrier, looks like he has a bit of beagle to him but he fits the standard of a  non kennel club jack, can't argue with the JRCGB.

Meant to say if anyone has a female dog that's suitable as in size match i would happily let a litter of his pups go no charge open to anyone at their arrangement and my convenience, he would make some real friendly pups that are constant fun, any terrier type dog or gun dog would make a great pup, a beagle would be ideal mix for pets. real nice dog with people and dogs just likes to bay at them if they ignore him when he wants to say hello, if they get fiesty back he does his cry bark, not nice to hear if your a poodle mix owner. He got into it with a big bully type dog that was off lead? walked towards him all ready to start the bloke said jokingly he won't want to play with her? his dog went for mine, mine nutted it under the jaw and i pulled him back, the bully didn't fancey comming in a seconed time, thankfully. i had to put his head halter on after that for a bit till he remembered it's better to have it off, not his fault but he was proper fired up.

Getting much better since his first angling trip went past several dogs today and no barking and baying get him out again next week turning out to be a real nice dog quite chilled even dare i say.

the swimming coat pic i reckon he might of learnt something that day? 

20220426_160813.jpg

oh dear fred really is one of those dogs, out walking him this evening up the woods some jogger comes steaming towards us making noises like a boxer crossed with a runner in his 50s wearing shorts fred has already pinned him as a wrong un as his approaching, so i moved fred to my left so the mountaineer bionic man guy could stay the other side of me, my dog hadn't made a sound or reacted, dopey was staring that hard at my dog he tripped on a tree root and flew to a skidding stop just past us, i turned to see how he ended up and you should of seen the look on his face typical jogger that busy looking for a problem he tripped over a glorified twig, he was desperate to blame the dog, not a chance jelly legs...

i swear he is trying to mark me with his balls he seems to think i really want his rugby ball toy he will pick them up and put them down where he wants me to go trying to train me, not a chance he has got away with that for long enough. caught him doing it up the field the other day.

• 5 months later...

The perfect carp dog rarely barks if att all don't go for birds real friendly with passing anglers and is okish with dogs plus he now walks off lead when on fields. Not bad seems he was never shown how to behave, still slipped his harness Saturday night same jack russell went by that he had a scuffle with last week, the russell was being carried past so Fred settled on chasing his mate around. 

In his spot waiting to ambush passing trade.

20221029_133857.jpg

• 6 months later...