Response flavours dosages

I’ve just brought some bits to make some hi attract pop ups, picked up the mainline cherry juice response flavour, question is what dosage to use? It’s recommended 5ml per 500g of base, as I’m using Polaris pop up mix with 1 egg, I’ve used 2.5ml and they smell ok, what’s the max ml per egg would people go to? 

11 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve just brought some bits to make some hi attract pop ups, picked up the mainline cherry juice response flavour, question is what dosage to use? It’s recommended 5ml per 500g of base, as I’m using Polaris pop up mix with 1 egg, I’ve used 2.5ml and they smell ok, what’s the max ml per egg would people go to? 

Bear with me Ouch as I’m not very up on this kind of stuff but I was thinking does it matter ?

I suppose there must be a point where you  can overdo it and they are only pop ups so they ain’t going to eat em ?

But I have something nagging me in my head , and don’t know if it’s something I read long ago , but 1ml per egg rings a bell .

could be totally well and truly wrong and probably am as what you have used seems about right to me but , as you know , there are a lot better qualified than me on here to help you with this .

That’s just it, I’ve always gone for a low dosage, no more than 1ml per egg max, but a few flavours have suggested to increase it in pop ups. The mulberry florentine flavour I had would say a couple of ml per six eggs, or up to 10ml per egg for a pop up mix! As I usually make “match the hatch” cork ball pop ups, the dosages stay the same as the hookbaits, no more that 4-5ml per 6 eggs. So 3/4-1ml for a pop up mix of 1 egg.

the mainline cherry flavour smells amazing, but 2ml, mixed with the additives, plus a splash of fos-oil at 5ml per 1 egg, they have the faint smell of play dough! I’m using the Polaris pop up mix, which I wouldn’t use over my usual freebies, as they are on a robin red/fish meal basemix with smoked ham flavour, but I’m after a nice smelly stand alone pop up I can fish as a single, aiming to use it on the rivers this year, hence a nice fruity “sweetie” type flavour, rather than a good bait that can take a bit longer to get going, I could have just brought a tub of pop ups I suppose, but I’ve not brought a readymade bait in over a decade, much prefer making everything myself! 

Yep there’s nothing quite like catching on bait you’ve made yourself .

I did it myself a few years ago though I kinda cheated a bit .

I used Odyssey xxx base mix which I tweaked with various bits & pieces and a few pop ups which ended up more like wafters before they were trendy .

Still felt quite an achievement catching with em though .

Its all about time for me ( I don’t have it) cos it’s certainly no cheaper like it was years ago .

I admire you Ouch for your commitment and I wish you luck on those rivers .

Which Rivers out of curiosity ?

18 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Mainline are a decent range but I'm not sure if they are ester based or Nature Identical (chemical based to achieve a natural smell).

If they are ester, sugar or essential oil based you can go higher than the recommended, whereas most NI's I would religiously stick to the recommended with a few exceptions.

Chocolate, some fruits and Squid and Octopus can be used at 5ml per egg. (RH Chocolate Malt could be used at 5ml per egg for 6 eggs in a bait!)

If in doubt, go 1ml maximum.

A good point Hutch, as you can see from the pic above, they started a nice pink, on boiling they turned much paler, (as to be expected) but I’ll glass test one to see how they react. I couldn’t get any bait dyes from my local tackle shop this time round, he had sold out. 

i'd be ok with that sound like a full flavour packed single, as a side do you add any base mix to the polaris never used it, already got some nice base mixes and bits in for paste wraps, might do a few boilies as well, got a sneaky feeling the Indian spice or bio shellfish from JB will be a real stand out bait going forward good quality soluble krill meal is near impossible to get  some bait companies are ending their krill bait due to cost increase. JB imports his krill himself said to be the best krill meal you can get.

Always wanted to try the polaris but have been put off by the lack of mixing instructions for adding basse mix or just using it as is, should be able to get back on track with some home rolling myself, fred will love that.

Polaris pop-up mix can be a bit inconsistent. Try the BAF, they do some lovely colours😉

On 17/04/2022 at 19:12, ouchthathurt said:

Well I’ve knocked up 2 batches now, one with 2ml of flavour to one egg, the other with 5ml. The deep cherry red of the flavour mixed with the Polaris makes a lovely pale washed out pink. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

i'd be ok with that sound like a full flavour packed single, as a side do you add any base mix to the polaris never used it, already got some nice base mixes and bits in for paste wraps, might do a few boilies as well, got a sneaky feeling the Indian spice or bio shellfish from JB will be a real stand out bait going forward good quality soluble krill meal is near impossible to get  some bait companies are ending their krill bait due to cost increase. JB imports his krill himself said to be the best krill meal you can get.

Always wanted to try the polaris but have been put off by the lack of mixing instructions for adding basse mix or just using it as is, should be able to get back on track with some home rolling myself, fred will love that.

Ah yes, well as an update, I left both batches outside to air dry and forgot them until 10pm last night. The neighbourhood cat found them and helped herself to a few! (Serves me right) from what’s missing, she much preferred the 2ml flavour batch! 
@Carpbell_ll I don’t add any basemix mate, last time I did that, the pop ups all sank! Made decent wafters, but that’s not what I’m trying to achieve in this case. 

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Ah yes, well as an update, I left both batches outside to air dry and forgot them until 10pm last night. The neighbourhood cat found them and helped herself to a few! (Serves me right) from what’s missing, she much preferred the 2ml flavour batch! 
@Carpbell_ll I don’t add any basemix mate, last time I did that, the pop ups all sank! Made decent wafters, but that’s not what I’m trying to achieve in this case. 

that's the bit that always got me confused i thought the pop up mix was something you could add to a basemix at say 40 % to make pop ups. i guess it's how mainline and others make their for sale pop ups? with the polaris type mix?

The Polaris pop up mix I believe is supposed to be used as a stand alone mix. I mixed about 20-30% basemix in it before and it made wafters. My preferred pop ups are paste wrapped cork balls, but I’m looking for an in your face fruity pop up in this case. Polaris is easy enough to use, just one egg, plus your liquid flavours and oils. Then sprinkle in any powdered additive’s, give it a damn good whisk, then add the Polaris a bit at a time while mixing until you get a tacky dough. Roll into baits, boil for 2mins and air dry for a few days. I stuck the cherry flavour and foss-oil in with the egg, added egg albumin and cream palatant whisked it up then spooned the pop up mix in and kneaded it up. Stuck it in the boilie gun, onto the roller and into the pan, jobs a good un. Knocked up 50-60 pop ups in about 30min 

On 19/04/2022 at 10:02, Carpbell_ll said:

that's the bit that always got me confused i thought the pop up mix was something you could add to a basemix at say 40 % to make pop ups. i guess it's how mainline and others make their for sale pop ups? with the polaris type mix?

Nope, but doing that might give you some decent wafters, for pop ups just use the pop up mix of your choice.