How old are your pop ups?

Hi guys 

I got reminded from and old photo that it's been 2 years since I bought some proper job pop ups which i would probably still use, but it made me think I also have pop ups that are much older than that which I might also still use, surely they are going to denature a bit over time? So I just wondered how long you would use them for and still be confident they are working for you? And also should I have a hookbait clear out and just use the fresh ones? 

My pop ups tend to be treated with a few bits so I can always keep adding to them to freshen them up and keep them pumping. Assuming you're not using anything that can go off, two years is nothing imo.

It does pay to have a clear out every now and again though. It's too easy to end up with pots of unused pop ups everywhere.

I think a pop up amnesty is coming on 😂 

I am having a clear out this week and we are hoping to do a car boot sale this weekend, maybe I will have a bucket full a £1 a pot or something 😂

I have just bought a couple of pots of proper jobs they have a couple of new flavours that sound immense that I couldn't resist 😂(one might be of interest to you yonny as it looks similar to trent baits freshwater shrimp ) 

30 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I have just bought a couple of pots of proper jobs they have a couple of new flavours that sound immense that I couldn't resist 😂(one might be of interest to you yonny as it looks similar to trent baits freshwater shrimp ) 

The KLS?

I've had them for a while, he was kind enough to chuck a tub in with an order before they were widely available last year. They look the nuts but I've just not had the chance to use them yet. Absolutely no doubt they'll be great.

8 minutes ago, Highy said:

They were bolt upright still after a week

They're the best none cork ball pop ups for buoyancy by a mile imo mate. In days gone I've had them in the test tank so long the hooks are rusting away and still popped up.

They have food value too, a proper attractor package, not just flavoured pop up mix like most firms do.

Decent.

9 minutes ago, yonny said:

They're the best none cork ball pop ups for buoyancy by a mile imo mate. In days gone I've had them in the test tank so long the hooks are rusting away and still popped up.

They have food value too, a proper attractor package, not just flavoured pop up mix like most firms do.

Decent.

I've just fou d an old picture from here.... Some Propper Job pop ups given to me back then.... 

Screenshot_20220412_125349.thumb.jpg.6c073a3c131f0e627891d28bdbcc0bab.jpg

Think the shelf fell down in shed and most were eaten by rodents. 

Those Scopex Strawberry baits have caught me some very, very rare carp @Highy. No idea what it is about them but always good for the rare ones. The Scopex/Cream are good too.

17 minutes ago, Highy said:

the shelf fell down in shed and most were eaten by rodents. 

Expensive meal for a mouse!!!

Edited by yonny

4 hours ago, yonny said:

It's too easy to end up with pots of unused pop ups everywhere.

I've got 2 shelves full in the garage now, some go way back should just chuck them away I suppose - I used to always have half a dozen pots in the living room (glugging) which mates seemed to like sniffing every week, how they moaned when I moved them out 🤣👍

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Off topic now........ Was there a member Nige Woodcock on here?... 

He's in the latest Nash Video (family holiday) 

good guy nige straight lace family guy so the video sounds about right, i will give it a watch later. 

i can get a backlog of hook baits so i only buy what i need, i got ecton berry hard hookers, stink pink pop ups, peach and pepper wafters and pineapple pop ups. i will add P&P pop ups, ecton berry pop ups and that will be me, will also be using paste as a hook bait wrap. 

4 hours ago, yonny said:

The KLS?

I've had them for a while, he was kind enough to chuck a tub in with an order before they were widely available last year. They look the nuts but I've just not had the chance to use them yet. Absolutely no doubt they'll be great.

Yes those ones, they sound good, i went for washed out pink, and white tangee peach 13mm 

IMG_20220412_150748.thumb.jpg.fa4971ca61b72fbea5b98ae46bef3673.jpg

I think it's time to have a clear out 😂

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

Yes those ones, they sound good, i went for washed out pink, and white tangee peach 13mm 

IMG_20220412_150748.thumb.jpg.fa4971ca61b72fbea5b98ae46bef3673.jpg

I think it's time to have a clear out 😂

Woooooow, thought I was bad.... 

I'm out on Friday, with the last of my Krill, Snowamn pop up on 1, Krill Active Wafter on other.... 1 boat hopper full of pimped bait around each rod 😉

Edited by Highy

10 minutes ago, emmcee said:

🤯😳😱 I wouldn't know what to take if I had that lot. Few hundred quids worth in there I imagine (hope you your missus doesn't read that bit) 🤣

She doesn't look in the bait fridge cos it smells, the freezer seldom goes under 10kg of bait too and then there is 2 bins full of pellet and particles) 😂

It's not as hard as you think, some you just have confidence in most you just don't lol 

Match the hatch pop up and wafters usually, 

A couple of tubs of proper jobs always black pepper + and one other like banana or something, and my pink goo specials 

I have a tub of steamies TNT 18mm wafters that I have extreme confidence in, for some reason they seem to catch really well over beds of bait (subtle but different enough to stand out) 

Occasionally I change some about and take a different one but they are my usual suspects 😂 

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

She doesn't look in the bait fridge cos it smells, the freezer seldom goes under 10kg of bait too and then there is 2 bins full of pellet and particles) 😂

It's not as hard as you think, some you just have confidence in most you just don't lol 

Match the hatch pop up and wafters usually, 

A couple of tubs of proper jobs always black pepper + and one other like banana or something, and my pink goo specials 

I have a tub of steamies TNT 18mm wafters that I have extreme confidence in, for some reason they seem to catch really well over beds of bait (subtle but different enough to stand out) 

Occasionally I change some about and take a different one but they are my usual suspects 😂 

Other than when I rolled my own the only flavour I had in my bait for the last 10yrs or so was black pepper essential oil. All freebies had recommended levels (6 drops per 6 eggs) and all hookbaits had half levels.  We found making the hookbait over flavoured was the wrong way to go. Infact after a season i had my freebies made with half levels, always got to have an edge . Absolutely devastating flavour on its own in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Other than when I rolled my own the only flavour I had in my bait for the last 10yrs or so was black pepper essential oil. All freebies had recommended levels (6 drops per 6 eggs) and all hookbaits had half levels.  We found making the hookbait over flavoured was the wrong way to go. Infact after a season i had my freebies made with half levels, always got to have an edge . Absolutely devastating flavour on its own in my opinion. 

Best bait I've used was completely un-flavoured, just salmon oil, eggs and Aminos basemix, forgot to add flavours but the fish seemed to love them more, much more in fact, what a session that was!

2 hours ago, emmcee said:

I am using a mix of two baits this year  one a milk protien that has a subtle fruit flavour, and loads of goodies in it, and a fishmeal that has no flavour but smells a bit like cat food or something, I used them both for a year each and both did me proud, so my thinking this year I will catch twice as much 😂

I do think the black pepper oil would be a good addition to the fishmeal though 🤔

Edited by elmoputney