Carp rigs

callum23

11 minutes ago, callum23 said:

What 3 carp rigs should all anglers have in there armoury’s?

Carp rigs catch more anglers than carp, and go through fashions.

The simple answer is one, maybe two:

A knotless knotted rig, with maybe a line aligner.

That rig can be used for pop-ups, bottom or snowman baits. It is simple and it works.

For pop-ups, if you use coated braid, on the 'strip back' end or braid, a power gum stop knot, attach putty or even a match anglers olivette as your pop-up weight.

D-rigs or Ronnie/Spinner rigs cover your specific pop-up rigs.

I gave you an answer 'over the road', but here I can give you a link.

On a knotless knot rig, with a snowman or bottom bait adjust the hair length dependant on where you are hooking the fish.

The perfect length for the hair is when you are hooking the fish dead centre of the bottom lip.

This might interest you as well

The right one for the situation they face 😬

My 3 would be 

PVA bag supple rig

stiff boom Ronnie, 

Some kind of wafter rig (been favouring a noodle lately) but it could be a d rig or whatever I thought suited, 

In all honesty I have started to care a lot less about rigs and more about the situation as I have tinkered enough to think most will work if they are in the right place and suited to what you need 

main thing for me is it must reset, I got tired of bringing in rigs that are tangled 

A pva supple rig still only needs to be a knotless knot just shorter

really only need a multi rig/slip D for pop ups and wafters (Some will use it for bottom baits as well)

and as said a simple knotless knot 

just use them in different lengths to suit the deck 

and possibly a zig and a chod 

A “barbless”water will dictate what pattern of hook I will use as it would then be a curve hook or an in turned point 

For pop ups, I have been using the Ronnie on a size 4 curve pattern for a few years, my go to bottom bait rig is a blowback rig on a curve pattern with a shrink tube kicker. Pva bags call for a subtle short braided hooklink with a blowback presentation to a size 6 wide gape and shrink tube kicker. If using fluro hooklinks, I’ll use a d ring type presentation or a supple hair to an out turned eye, but that’s pretty rare these days to be honest. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2022 at 14:08, callum23 said:

What 3 carp rigs should all anglers have in there armoury’s?

On 10/04/2022 at 14:36, salokcinnodrog said:

Carp rigs catch more anglers than carp, and go through fashions.

The simple answer is one, maybe two:

A knotless knotted rig, with maybe a line aligner.

That rig can be used for pop-ups, bottom or snowman baits. It is simple and it works.

For pop-ups, if you use coated braid, on the 'strip back' end or braid, a power gum stop knot, attach putty or even a match anglers olivette as your pop-up weight.

D-rigs or Ronnie/Spinner rigs cover your specific pop-up rigs.

I gave you an answer 'over the road', but here I can give you a link.

On a knotless knot rig, with a snowman or bottom bait adjust the hair length dependant on where you are hooking the fish.

The perfect length for the hair is when you are hooking the fish dead centre of the bottom lip.

This might interest you as well

I can give you an add to this:

Start off with a basic hair rig and adapt and play with it.

I mention the perfect hooking point, middle of the bottom lip. If you are losing fish to hook hookpulls during the fight at the start, are hooking them at the very front of the mouth, the hair is not long enough.

When the basic hair rig stops catching move onto the next development, the sliding or extending hair, or add a line aligner.

As @yonny says, a bottom bait rig, and a pop-up rig it really is that simple.

I don't fish zigs, so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

How effective your rig is can be changed by what and how you feed.

A rig with a short hair can be good for fishing over particles or groundbait, yet over boilies may be very ineffective. A rig with a long hair may be great for boilies, yet awful for fishing over particles; the long haired bait may be blown in and out with no hooking, or alternatively cause bite-offs.