Through the Roof …

Is it my imagination but has the cost of Carp fishing gone through the roof recently ?

Ive had a 6/7 year sabbatical from the game , as some of you know , and I went round to my parents old place where my brother still lives at the weekend to get the majority of my Carping gear which he’s been storing for me . 

To my disgust , some of it has gone walkies , Nephews and the like  who have ‘ borrowed’ bits and pieces and never returned em .

For example my very nice Cyprinus cradle has gone missing and in its place a tatty looking old Nash Hooligan unhooking May has just appeared in its place … and that’s not the only thing .

So you fellas can expect a series of “which ?” Threads from myself in the next few weeks as I try to replace stuff that has gone for a hike.

Now , my decision to go from a 2 to 3 rod set up means having to shell out for extra stuff anyway but the prices are ridiculous are they not ?

I have admittedly picked up a couple of bargains recently on eBay , some Free Spirit rods and a 3rd Fox Alarm .

But Bank Sticks for example . I need 6 .

Circa £20 a pop ffs ?

My JRC sti 2 man . As much as I love it it’s too damned heavy for me to lug around these days and my arthritic hands have all sorts of trouble setting it up as anyone who’s owned one can probably imagine , SO I’m on the lookout for a Brolly system .

Have you SEEN the price of a half decent one these days after buying the other ( usually pretty necessary) bits to go with it ? £400 upwards maybe ?

Im on the lookout for another Daiwa reel to go with my other two . They’ve been discontinued now but still crop up on the auction sites now and again and £50+ opening bids don’t even reach their reserve .

I didn’t pay that for em knew ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

ONE Stow indicator , second hand , £20+ ….

Am I over reacting having been away for a while or are tackle firms taking the pee ?

I agree the second hand market is a nightmare mate. As soon as COVID stopped those ships leaving China the used gear prices went through the roof MASSIVELY. That's not just fishing gear either. It's cars, bikes.... you name it.

I bought a used mountain bike for £1000 back in 2018. I sold it for £1800 when the prices shot up in 2020. Work that one out.

My mate sold a Fox Easy Mat, 2 years old, for 30 quid more than he paid for it new.

Obviously we're coming out of COVID but the market is just not recovering. It's Madness.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I agree the second hand market is a nightmare mate. As soon as COVID stopped those ships leaving China the used gear prices went through the roof MASSIVELY. That's not just fishing gear either. It's cars, bikes.... you name it.

I bought a used mountain bike for £1000 back in 2018. I sold it for £1800 when the prices shot up in 2020. Work that one out.

My mate sold a Fox Easy Mat, 2 years old, for 30 quid more than he paid for it new.

Obviously we're coming out of COVID but the market is just not recovering. It's Madness.

i'm half tempted to sell the motor i bought two years back, i could easily double my money, i checked we buy any car for a looky look i can get 2k more than i paid for it. only prob i would need a replacement. 

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Is it my imagination but has the cost of Carp fishing gone through the roof recently ?

Ive had a 6/7 year sabbatical from the game , as some of you know , and I went round to my parents old place where my brother still lives at the weekend to get the majority of my Carping gear which he’s been storing for me . 

To my disgust , some of it has gone walkies , Nephews and the like  who have ‘ borrowed’ bits and pieces and never returned em .

For example my very nice Cyprinus cradle has gone missing and in its place a tatty looking old Nash Hooligan unhooking May has just appeared in its place … and that’s not the only thing .

So you fellas can expect a series of “which ?” Threads from myself in the next few weeks as I try to replace stuff that has gone for a hike.

Now , my decision to go from a 2 to 3 rod set up means having to shell out for extra stuff anyway but the prices are ridiculous are they not ?

I have admittedly picked up a couple of bargains recently on eBay , some Free Spirit rods and a 3rd Fox Alarm .

But Bank Sticks for example . I need 6 .

Circa £20 a pop ffs ?

My JRC sti 2 man . As much as I love it it’s too damned heavy for me to lug around these days and my arthritic hands have all sorts of trouble setting it up as anyone who’s owned one can probably imagine , SO I’m on the lookout for a Brolly system .

Have you SEEN the price of a half decent one these days after buying the other ( usually pretty necessary) bits to go with it ? £400 upwards maybe ?

Im on the lookout for another Daiwa reel to go with my other two . They’ve been discontinued now but still crop up on the auction sites now and again and £50+ opening bids don’t even reach their reserve .

I didn’t pay that for em knew ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

ONE Stow indicator , second hand , £20+ ….

Am I over reacting having been away for a while or are tackle firms taking the pee ?

Bivvy prices are sort of fair depending on what you get, tents are around the same money and the speck is light and flimsy as that's what is best, if you beefed one up with thick material and solid bars the price would be very high. it's the end tackle as well 20 notes yesterday on links and swivels buffer beads that kind of stuff, at least when my ticket starts i won't be needing to buy any bits for the rest of the year. 

The emcast 25a is a nice reel you can turn them into a quick drag if you like, i have never felt the need though.  same for the new mini microns good solid alarm. 

All fishing tackle has rocketed sadly... to be fair a lot of it is greed with no earthly reason for adding a phone number to the price of a mundane bit of kit

Example... trakker kettle... £19... go outdoors £4.99 their gas stoves... £44... Bulin stoves from Amazon (same stove) £25... you gotta shop around... 

Some of NGT stuff isn't bad (luggage mainly) but don't bother with their rods or terminal gear

Bank Tackle is good on price and quality, New Direction isn't bad either...

Prices rocketed when the supposed fuel shortage arrived... didn't drop back once fuel stated pumping again though did they....? prices rocketed when that tanker got stuck... didn't go back down again though did they...? prices rocketed after lockdown... idiots trying to recoup losses they'll never see and lose customers in the meantime and they'll not lower them again will they...? as a case in point, prices all over europe have gone up so its not just  Brexit... what excuse are some of these morons going to jump on next as an excuse to put prices up further I wonder...???

Addendum... Sunak cut fuel duty... what did the fuel companies do... put the price up... greed... nowt but greed

Edited by bluelabel

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

Prices rocketed when the supposed fuel shortage arrived... didn't drop back once fuel stated pumping again though did they....? prices rocketed when that tanker got stuck... didn't go back down again though did they...? prices rocketed after lockdown... idiots trying to recoup losses they'll never see and lose customers in the meantime and they'll not lower them again will they...? as a case in point, prices all over europe have gone up so its not just  Brexit... what excuse are some of these morons going to jump on next as an excuse to put prices up further I wonder...???

Addendum... Sunak cut fuel duty... what did the fuel companies do... put the price up... greed... nowt but greed

They are all in it together, why arent they taxing the super rich and closing tax loopholes rather than raising national insurance, a windfall tax was mentioned but never happened, 

Why do they all still have lucrative 2nd jobs? 

Why did they give dodgy PPE Contracts to pub landlords and chums ? 

How did Jacob Rees mogg know when to sell his shares in Russian companies? 

Why are the sanctions taking so long to impose? 

Why do we have a Russian media mogul as a lord? 

How is Gavin Williamson getting knighted? 

Why is Boris Johnson still Prime minister after all of the scandals that follow him? 

They are all in it together, it's a class war and we are letting them win whilst we argue about petty trivia that the media spoon feeds us daily, they rule by keeping the people poor and stupid, 

why are schools so underfunded (obviously apart from private schools because those donations are tax deductable )? 

This World is in a lot of trouble at the moment and it's all caused by the greedy few not the decent many 

Sorry I don’t concern myself with politics too much . Not only do I not understand most of it but I fail to see how a item of fishing tackle manufactured in and imported from China is affected by the fact that we aren’t in the EU any longer ?

1 hour ago, oldcarper said:

If you think the prices you've seen are bad, cop this (Read description in below link) LOL

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194940969320?hash=item2d63632168%3Ag%3AdNcAAOSwm21iJMLo&LH_Auction=1

Good God 

Who would do that ?

Thats in my watching page now .

How much will that £11.97’s worth sell for do we reckon ?

🙄

3 hours ago, framey said:

I keep toying with buying the solar adjustable back rests but at £25 each I really don’t want to

There’s nowt wrong with my solid rubber ones . £25 each ? See what I mean ? 🤮