Fishing buddy’s

Jordz611

9 hours ago, JordanNW said:

Is anyone from round the Lake District south lakes Cumbria could do with a fishing buddy for when the mrs don’t want to come 😂  literally don’t have mates as none of them bother with me or fishing so I don’t see the time in asking them 

Feel for you guys up north one of the reasons i could never live in bonnie scotland well that and the SNP Warwick is nearly as bad for carp angling unless you like match fishing style, you all need to get some sort of traveling syndicate on the go, all chip in for a cheap van or a rental once a month get yourselves down south. 

Not easy getting that first car these days it's all about milking you guys as usual, 40 min driving test for me no extra sillness needed, driving is a right for all it's not a privilege. 

40 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Feel for you guys up north one of the reasons i could never live in bonnie scotland well that and the SNP Warwick is nearly as bad for carp angling unless you like match fishing style, you all need to get some sort of traveling syndicate on the go, all chip in for a cheap van or a rental once a month get yourselves down south. 

Not easy getting that first car these days it's all about milking you guys as usual, 40 min driving test for me no extra sillness needed, driving is a right for all it's not a privilege. 

Ye there’s a syndicate water like 30-60 mins drive away but like I say I just don’t have the friends to go away and fish with etc 

Just now, JordanNW said:

Ye there’s a syndicate water like 30-60 mins drive away but like I say I just don’t have the friends to go away and fish with etc 

making friends is easy you just need to be nice and non confrontational, a people pleaser get it right and you will have a lift in no time. you sound young so don't be to put off if you struggle to get on a syndi, Chris who runs a few waters in the midlands will give young lads a start on his waters, in fact he prefers them as they are more up to date with modern angling etiquette, gutted i lost my ticket there, think i might of already mentioned that though. 🙈

9 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

making friends is easy you just need to be nice and non confrontational, a people pleaser get it right and you will have a lift in no time. you sound young so don't be to put off if you struggle to get on a syndi, Chris who runs a few waters in the midlands will give young lads a start on his waters, in fact he prefers them as they are more up to date with modern angling etiquette, gutted i lost my ticket there, think i might of already mentioned that though. 🙈

Ye I’m 22 fishing when was younger but just got back into it haha 

1 minute ago, JordanNW said:

Ye I’m 22 fishing when was younger but just got back into it haha 

But ye id love to do a night or to on a syndicate where I live the angling association only have the canal and 1 other pond for carp ther other 40 mins away on bus

I'm in North West (Wigan), but don't travel any further than Southport for fishing. 

I love fishing on my own, you tend to work harder for the fish, but I know what you mean, it can be lonely, luckily we're i work there's plenty Carp anglers, but also they do travel vast distances for the better captures. 

1 of my mates has give up Carp fishing, sold all his gear, used to go every occasion with him but when he sold up I've not heard a peep from him. 

1 other mate will never give up but is also limited on time when can go, we're both out for a day sesh tomorrow then 2nd April for a 24hr...its like every 3 weeks we can fish together. 

But once your on a decent lake you'll get to know other anglers and become friendly with them. 

Ask in your nearest tackle shop that your looking for a fishing buddy and willing to share with petrol costs, the cost of fuel is crazy and will get a lot worse, more than likely theirs someone looking for a guy like you to share the cost. If you haven’t got a tackle shop near put a card up with your info in a newsagents window or the supermarkets usually got a notice board 👍

Hi Jordan.

is it just a transport problem or a genuine loneliness/confidence thing where you have problems fishing on your own ?

if it’s the former then I’m going to recommend doing something that I should have done many years ago and never did . Learn to drive .

I know it’s easier said than done . With me it was a confidence thing and one of the biggest regrets of my life was that I never learnt to drive and I hated and still do hate having to rely on my Mrs ( who does drive) to take me anywhere.

it’s all very well jumping on public transport with all your gear when you’re a kid but when your 60 like me it’s a no-no.

I take it your partner does drive ?

just do some major sucking up prior to getting her to drop you off 🤣

If it just that you don’t like fishing on your own , it’s a bit daunting the first time you do it , especially Carping , but you’ll soon gain confidence in your abilities and it’ll be a breeze .

I absolutely love my alone time and fishing is a fantastic time to reflect on stuff and if I ever get the feeling that I want a bit of company I’ll just listen to my DAB radio . Quietly of course , especially if I’m missing the mighty Hammers 😂.

Good luck son .

Edited by newmarket

Fishing buddy's is a weird one. 

Like Newmarket says, if driving is the problem then its 'suck up to the Mrs', (that would be brownie points on its own...) 

If you get onto a good water, make friends, you might get yourself a really good like minded mate. That is how I made some of the fishing  mates I have. 

Or as B B says ask around the tackle shop, although drivers always get to choose venues. 

It is not fun having to take gear on public transport, although if you can minimise it, cycling can be do-able for days only, or a cycle trailer. 

My fishing buddies have changed through the years; I've moved so don't fish with one of my mates, others have different lives, jobs and even different expectations from our fishing. Big Dave hardly fishes due to his life, and he would probably hate the blanks of a 50acre water with 100 fish. He wants to catch every trip! 

Bruce and I do fish together as much as possible, but my constant job hours when I'm working rarely match our time off together. 

I find myself that I often work harder for my fishing when I am on my own. I don't have to think about 'social swims' or spots that we can fish near to each other, just concentrate on the water, trying to find the fish. 

Mind you, knowing that you are on the canal, 2 of you might help locating them if you leapfrog along it. 

On 12/03/2022 at 12:27, newmarket said:

Hi Jordan.

is it just a transport problem or a genuine loneliness/confidence thing where you have problems fishing on your own ?

if it’s the former then I’m going to recommend doing something that I should have done many years ago and never did . Learn to drive .

I know it’s easier said than done . With me it was a confidence thing and one of the biggest regrets of my life was that I never learnt to drive and I hated and still do hate having to rely on my Mrs ( who does drive) to take me anywhere.

it’s all very well jumping on public transport with all your gear when you’re a kid but when your 60 like me it’s a no-no.

I take it your partner does drive ?

just do some major sucking up prior to getting her to drop you off 🤣

If it just that you don’t like fishing on your own , it’s a bit daunting the first time you do it , especially Carping , but you’ll soon gain confidence in your abilities and it’ll be a breeze .

I absolutely love my alone time and fishing is a fantastic time to reflect on stuff and if I ever get the feeling that I want a bit of company I’ll just listen to my DAB radio . Quietly of course , especially if I’m missing the mighty Hammers 😂.

Good luck son .

Hey it’s both to be honest I have bad anxiety and ptsd so I tend to like to have someone with me so I don’t get bored etc the mrs don’t drive either and to be honest I don’t think any of us will be anytime soon 

• 2 weeks later...