Ronnie Rig Lead Help

Bruce

Hi all,

I recently started fishing, around 6 months ago now. I started off in the summer floating bread, then as the weather began to worsen moved to fishing off the bottom using a a feeder. I have now learnt how to tie a Ronnie rig, thanks to numerous YouTube tutorial videos. However, i am left massively confused regarding the lead setup for this rig.

Firstly, what lead setup do you guys use for the Ronnie rig? It’s either a lead clip, or helicopter rig from what im seeing. I want to ensure whichever i use it is as safe as possible for the fish, hence why i have been looking at heli-safe clips. However, i worry with these that im going to lose endless amounts of leads, which obviously will add up to a lot of money over time. How do you guys tie your lead sets up, including everything that’s needed to do so.

My local fishery also stayed that no fixed leads must be used at any times. Could someone please explain a fixed lead please and what style of fishing this is. Is it a lead clip? As the lead cannot be released? 

Finally, after watching numerous videos on the Ronnie rig by Carl and Alex, Korda etc.. It says that to tie the Ronnie rig and also the helicopter rig to use stronger line than the mainline. 35lb boom for the Ronnie rig, 18lb braid for the helicopter rig. Why is this? I have always fished a hooklink lighter than my minaline for two reasons - 1. If it snaps i do not lose all my tackle. 2. It’s safer for the fish so all my tickle isn’t become stuck to it.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

12 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Hi all,

I recently started fishing, around 6 months ago now. I started off in the summer floating bread, then as the weather began to worsen moved to fishing off the bottom using a a feeder. I have now learnt how to tie a Ronnie rig, thanks to numerous YouTube tutorial videos. However, i am left massively confused regarding the lead setup for this rig.

Firstly, what lead setup do you guys use for the Ronnie rig? It’s either a lead clip, or helicopter rig from what im seeing. I want to ensure whichever i use it is as safe as possible for the fish, hence why i have been looking at heli-safe clips. However, i worry with these that im going to lose endless amounts of leads, which obviously will add up to a lot of money over time. How do you guys tie your lead sets up, including everything that’s needed to do so.

My local fishery also stayed that no fixed leads must be used at any times. Could someone please explain a fixed lead please and what style of fishing this is. Is it a lead clip? As the lead cannot be released? 

Finally, after watching numerous videos on the Ronnie rig by Carl and Alex, Korda etc.. It says that to tie the Ronnie rig and also the helicopter rig to use stronger line than the mainline. 35lb boom for the Ronnie rig, 18lb braid for the helicopter rig. Why is this? I have always fished a hooklink lighter than my minaline for two reasons - 1. If it snaps i do not lose all my tackle. 2. It’s safer for the fish so all my tickle isn’t become stuck to it.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

A fixed lead is basically any set-up where the lead cannot come off the line in the event of a break-off. A lead clip or helicopter setup could be construed as a fixed lead, the lead clip if the tail rubber is pushed on tightly.

Heli safe clips are NOT safe, the lead needs to stay on to allow the rig to come off the broken line, a  heli clip does not allow that to happen.

The answer is to use a running lead, kits are available from Korum, Fox and other brands.

As for Ronnie rigs, you can use them on running leads, but I would suggest you make the hooklink long enough to allow the hook and bait to slowly sink down on the lakebed. In other words use a pop-up hookbait that only just sinks the hook and swivel. It may not offer any advantage over other pop-up rigs.

8 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

A fixed lead is basically any set-up where the lead cannot come off the line in the event of a break-off. A lead clip or helicopter setup could be construed as a fixed lead, the lead clip if the tail rubber is pushed on tightly.

Heli safe clips are NOT safe, the lead needs to stay on to allow the rig to come off the broken line, a  heli clip does not allow that to happen.

The answer is to use a running lead, kits are available from Korum, Fox and other brands.

As for Ronnie rigs, you can use them on running leads, but I would suggest you make the hooklink long enough to allow the hook and bait to slowly sink down on the lakebed. In other words use a pop-up hookbait that only just sinks the hook and swivel. It may not offer any advantage over other pop-up rigs.

Thanks for the reply and information, I really appreciate the help.

It seems to me that the Ronnie rig isn’t really a great idea then due to the dangers than can come with the lead set ups, unless on a running lead. 

would you suggest another rig I try focus to master then rather the Ronnie rig with a lead clip/helicopter rig. Preferably one which can be as effective yet more safe for the fish?

Thank you for taking the time to help

9 hours ago, Bruce said:

Thanks for the reply and information, I really appreciate the help.

It seems to me that the Ronnie rig isn’t really a great idea then due to the dangers than can come with the lead set ups, unless on a running lead. 

would you suggest another rig I try focus to master then rather the Ronnie rig with a lead clip/helicopter rig. Preferably one which can be as effective yet more safe for the fish?

Thank you for taking the time to help

My rigs have barely changed in 30 years of fishing.

For bottom baits a basic simple knotless knotted rig with a line aligner.

For pop-ups a sliding ring on the hookshank stopped by a hook bead, and a coated braid hooklink stripped from the hook to the height I want the bait popped up. Either putty or a match anglers olivette is the counter weight.

This works with pop-ups and snowman baits.

Choose your hooklink material for the bottom you are fishing over. In weed I prefer braid as it lays better than stiffer materials like mono or fluorocarbon.

The running lead can be fished with a tight line or a slack line.

If there is no undertow, fish it with a slack line and your indicator fished at maximum drop only just providing weight. Whichever way the fish goes you will get a run, any bleep is notification of interest.

If you fish a running lead it is a Bolt rig, the fish will run, but can run towards you so you need your indicator tight.

9 hours ago, Bruce said:

The spinner/ronnie is perfectly safe.

Both a lead clip and a heli set-up are perfectly safe when set up correctly.

10 hours ago, Bruce said:

They us the 35 Boom solely for it's stiff properties. You don't have to use such materials. You can use whatever you want.

I use a Ronnie rig with a leadclip set up, personally I will use a lead clip as often as I can, the only time I use a helicopter set up is if I need to chuck a chod into rough spots, 

I also never used to like dropping leads but now I much prefer to tbh, the lake I fish is weedy and the cost of a lead isn't worth the pain of losing a biggun (that hurts way more) 

17 hours ago, Bruce said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

Welcome to world of Carp angling .

I see that in that 6 months you have progressed through the gears , surface fishing onto the feeder ( which is a great method by the way) and now what you consider the next stage .

I agree with Nick , forget Ronnie rigs and whatever May or may not be considered to be fixed lead set ups and keep it simple to begin with .

A simple running rig with simple knotless knot rigs and versions there of .

Not only is it dead easy but possibly THE most effective way to catch carp .

You can always migrate to “complicated” rig and lead set ups later if you must .

you may not even want to by then .

Google Keith Moors running rig ( it’s on this forum somewhere) and take a gander at Nick’s hooklink s on the sticky above this section .

you won’t look back , good luck 👍🏻

Sorry I split the topic as Yonny and I got into a bit of a discussion 😅 

(If you are interested

18 hours ago, newmarket said:

I see that in that 6 months you have progressed through the gears , surface fishing onto the feeder ( which is a great method by the way) and now what you consider the next stage .

I agree with Nick , forget Ronnie rigs and whatever May or may not be considered to be fixed lead set ups and keep it simple to begin with .

You can always migrate to “complicated” rig and lead set ups later if you must .

Google Keith Moors running rig ( it’s on this forum somewhere) and take a gander at Nick’s hooklink s on the sticky above this section .

I will go through the rig pics in the Sticky, I just retrieved some back from photo bucket (hard work that!)

23 hours ago, newmarket said:

I quite like the Matthew Collins(? The guy who owns the French fishery) set up using a lead clip as a running rig

43 minutes ago, framey said:

I quite like the Matthew Collins(? The guy who owns the French fishery) set up using a lead clip as a running rig

@framey

It's horrible, and NOT safe. A lead clip should never be used running. It totally negates the lead being able to come off the line if it breaks. The small inner bore will also jam up with any rubbish. 

2 hours ago, framey said:

I knew Nick would be all over that like a rash 😂

personally , and possible safety issues aside , apart from his little ‘telltale’ section of mono , I just don’t see what advantage this set up has over a basic pendant style running lead set up like Moorsey uses in the video I alluded to above .

I do like Matt Collins’ videos though , short sharp , too the point and easily understood.

only discovered him recently. His lake looks nice too.

41 minutes ago, newmarket said:

I knew Nick would be all over that like a rash 😂

personally , and possible safety issues aside , apart from his little ‘telltale’ section of mono , I just don’t see what advantage this set up has over a basic pendant style running lead set up like Moorsey uses in the video I alluded to above .

I do like Matt Collins’ videos though , short sharp , too the point and easily understood.

only discovered him recently. His lake looks nice too.

I don’t use it I said I like it lol

IF I had to use that kind of lead arrangement I would use it but I wouldn’t cut the leg off so I could re use the clip 

We could pick it to pieces if We wanted to. even running rigs can loop and knot in the air (I have seen it done it so I know it happens)and create a death rig if not watched properly if we have to account for every type of angler on the bank.

personally

I wouldn’t use a separate piece for the tell tale I would just leave a long tag on the knot lol

I’m a helicopter man myself lol

I have just tied up a few Ronnie rigs myself, playing with the hooklink materials trying to match the weed colour on my syndicate, which did not die back over the winter. I also made sure that the pop-ups I used only just sunk the hook. Tested in the margins, the hook and Ronnie swivel only just sunk with the buoyancy of the pop-up. 

I found Kryston Jackal and Snakebite were the closest matching the colour of the weed. 

I have also had a play with the lead set-up, and inlines do work on the weed free spots, putting the whole lot in a PVA bag, pellets, dry Vitalin, hook and bait, and lead, but rig length can't be more than half the length of the bag, as I have the lead to go in as well. 

On a helicopter set-up, I have attached a PVA bag filled with the same, 'moulded' around the lead and hooked the hook in the outside corner. This set-up I can lengthen the hooklink, or even fish it hinged. 

Both were cast in, as well as checked in the margins. Believe it or not, the leads are not particularly obvious with the helicopter set-ups and hidden under a mound of goodies with the inlines. 

Blooming cold examining the lay in the water even with my chest waders on. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/03/2022 at 18:35, salokcinnodrog said:

I have just tied up a few Ronnie rigs myself, playing with the hooklink materials trying to match the weed colour on my syndicate, which did not die back over the winter. I also made sure that the pop-ups I used only just sunk the hook. Tested in the margins, the hook and Ronnie swivel only just sunk with the buoyancy of the pop-up. 

I found Kryston Jackal and Snakebite were the closest matching the colour of the weed. 

I have also had a play with the lead set-up, and inlines do work on the weed free spots, putting the whole lot in a PVA bag, pellets, dry Vitalin, hook and bait, and lead, but rig length can't be more than half the length of the bag, as I have the lead to go in as well. 

On a helicopter set-up, I have attached a PVA bag filled with the same, 'moulded' around the lead and hooked the hook in the outside corner. This set-up I can lengthen the hooklink, or even fish it hinged. 

Both were cast in, as well as checked in the margins. Believe it or not, the leads are not particularly obvious with the helicopter set-ups and hidden under a mound of goodies with the inlines. 

Blooming cold examining the lay in the water even with my chest waders on. 

Hello Nick . Been reading through this thread again and i have a couple of noddy questions to ask you …

How exactly do you mould a pva bag ( that has your rig inside it) around the lead ?

when you say you ensure the pop up only just sinks , do you just trim the pop up down to get this or is it by other means ?

Im possibly looking to go down this route myself in the near future ( for reasons I’ll be explaining in another thread) .

27 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Hello Nick . Been reading through this thread again and i have a couple of noddy questions to ask you …

How exactly do you mould a pva bag ( that has your rig inside it) around the lead ?

when you say you ensure the pop up only just sinks , do you just trim the pop up down to get this or is it by other means ?

Im possibly looking to go down this route myself in the near future ( for reasons I’ll be explaining in another thread) .

I don't think they're noddy questions as I know I do or write things with no explanation as to me it may seem easy.

I'll do the pop-up explanation first, as you've got it, it  is simply trimming the pop-up by degrees until it's right. Braid blades and snick tiny pieces off, checking it in the margins.

I do do the same with Multi-rigs as well.

Sounds like more work than it is, as after a few tries you'll know roughly what to trim, then it's just the fine tuning.

To get the lead, either inline or pendant,  and the whole rig in the bag, I dry off the hookbait and hook totally, cover them in powder, then hook the inside corner and lay the lead in the opposite corner and fill with bits. Gently pull the lead up and shake the bag, topping it up. Gently squeeze, shake, squeeze and then lick and stick and twist the bag shut.

Helicopter leads are easier, bits in the bag, lead on top, then fill, lick and stick.

Hook the rig in outside corner.