First time EVER

newmarket

Morning fellas , this topic isn’t Carp specific so I’m sure you (Nick) will move it into another section if you feel it’s more appropriate but I get the impression that the coarse fishing section doesn’t get many hits so I’m asking it here initially.

My ten year old wants me to take him fishing .

As many of you will probably remember he is moderately autistic (as are we all) but has an attention span of about 10 minutes so it’s crucial that I take him to a hole in the ground where I can guarantee he’s going to catch straight away .

Thats not a problem it’s already sorted but what isn’t is what kit to buy for him ?

my immediate thoughts were to buy him a small whip or some sort of pole .

trouble is I’ve never used one myself and wouldn’t have a clue let alone show him how to actually use it so was thinking to throw him in at the deep end with rod & reel .

but then which rod & reel ? Length size etc …

I dunno what to do tbh .. how would you horrible lot approach it ? Moneys not really a problem except it might prove a 5 minute fad though I’ve a feeling that a tiny perch or roach early on will see him hooked , so to speak.

over to you lot ….

A 3m whip, chair, net, disgorger... job done

I was an Angling Coach for 11 years... a whip is always first port of call for youngsters... a cheap whip is about a fiver, a cheap rig can cost a couple of quid, you'll no doubt have a net and disgorger... and a little chair, the Range do some kids chairs...

Get rigs with barbless hook just in case of the odd accident... keep the session down to 2 hours max if your lad has attention deficit...and go to a prolific venue... nowt worse than blanking...

tight lines..👍

8 hours ago, bluelabel said:

There you go... easy peasy

Cheers Blue I’ve just purchased a whip that comes with a free rig and I’ll buy a couple more to be on the safe side , and I’ll heed your advice re the 2 hour thing though he’s just the type to insist on continuing if he’s enjoying .

Once he does get into something , anything , that interests him he tends to throw himself 200% into it , he can be like a racehorse with blinkers on and can only see what’s in front of him to the exclusion of anything and everything .

The key will be catching . He catches a fish early doors it’ll be difficult to get him away from the bank.

Itll be a family outing anyway , my Mrs will be with us to whip (pardon the pun) him away if necessary.

She doesn’t mind a bit of fishing herself and has a 14lb PB 🤣

I’ll add to the thread as and when , I really appreciate your help . Whipping looks fun 🤩 

Method feeder on a runs water i took my nephew to barston when he was a kid just to make sure he caught, hasn't looked back since been doing a bit himself on farm ponds he is going to try proper angling this year with me he seems to think i can just rock up to any lake and pull units out lol, i promised him a bit of nene valley angling for this year he is a real good lad no drugs at all through personal choice, poor lad was ill a few months back something to do with the sack around the heart can get inflamed, it happens to regular coke users the hospitals don't like to treat it it if it's drug related, he don't even so much as drink never mind coke, in fact he was spanking those cans of monster energy drinks, i will get him on the Tea. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Method feeder on a runs water i took my nephew to barston when he was a kid just to make sure he caught, hasn't looked back since been doing a bit himself on farm ponds he is going to try proper angling this year with me he seems to think i can just rock up to any lake and pull units out lol, i promised him a bit of nene valley angling for this year he is a real good lad no drugs at all through personal choice, poor lad was ill a few months back something to do with the sack around the heart can get inflamed, it happens to regular coke users the hospitals don't like to treat it it if it's drug related, he don't even so much as drink never mind coke, in fact he was spanking those cans of monster energy drinks, i will get him on the Tea. 

No wonder you are proud of the lad , Campbell .

I don't know about Monster , but I think some energy drinks can give you man boobs if you have too much ; as you say , better have a nice cup of tea .

😁

3 hours ago, crusian said:

I don't know about Monster , but I think some energy drinks can give you man boobs if you have too much ; as you say , better have a nice cup of tea .

😁

lol nothing to do with me he likes to live at his nans my mum, very conservative obey the rules or hit the road.  

On 06/03/2022 at 09:11, Carpbell_ll said:

On 06/03/2022 at 10:15, crusian said:

😁

Monster is lethal!

My daughter was told not to drink them as the sheer amount of sugar screwed up her diabetes and blood sugar.

Big Dave was drinking cans of Monster and started suffering fit's, seizures and his blood sugar levels have lead to diabetes.

In fact he is the person I had to jump in the lake to save and prevent drowning, holding him afloat and giving CPR for 45minutes until Emergency Services arrived.

On 05/03/2022 at 11:41, newmarket said:

Morning fellas , this topic isn’t Carp specific so I’m sure you (Nick) will move it into another section if you feel it’s more appropriate but I get the impression that the coarse fishing section doesn’t get many hits so I’m asking it here initially.

My ten year old wants me to take him fishing .

As many of you will probably remember he is moderately autistic (as are we all) but has an attention span of about 10 minutes so it’s crucial that I take him to a hole in the ground where I can guarantee he’s going to catch straight away .

Thats not a problem it’s already sorted but what isn’t is what kit to buy for him ?

my immediate thoughts were to buy him a small whip or some sort of pole .

trouble is I’ve never used one myself and wouldn’t have a clue let alone show him how to actually use it so was thinking to throw him in at the deep end with rod & reel .

but then which rod & reel ? Length size etc …

I dunno what to do tbh .. how would you horrible lot approach it ? Moneys not really a problem except it might prove a 5 minute fad though I’ve a feeling that a tiny perch or roach early on will see him hooked , so to speak.

over to you lot ….

I bought my youngest two children whips to start, until I was sure they were ready to deal with a reel.

Full kit, I think they were both by Middy who do do a complete kit. 

https://www.middytackle.com/product.php?ProductID=1112

The advantage of a short whip is that they or you, can underarm flick it out, no big worry for casting.

Both Lily and Levi started off like that catching small roach and perch.

What we used to do was take the fishing gear down to the park lake, with them on their bikes. They would fish for a while, get bored, go for a bike around, fish some more. While they were cycling I was testing the gear to name sure it was good. Great fun catching a few fish with no pressure, then they'd see and want to catch, so you end up teaching them feeding and catching unhooking etc.

8 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Monster is lethal!

My daughter was told not to drink them as the sheer amount of sugar screwed up her diabetes and blood sugar.

Big Dave was drinking cans of Monster and started suffering fit's, seizures and his blood sugar levels have lead to diabetes.

In fact he is the person I had to jump in the lake to save and prevent drowning, holding him afloat and giving CPR for 45minutes until Emergency Services arrived.

I bought my youngest two children whips to start, until I was sure they were ready to deal with a reel.

The advantage of a short whip is that they or you, can underarm flick it out, no big worry for casting.

What we used to do was take the fishing gear down to the park lake, with them on their bikes. They would fish for a while, get bored, go for a bike around, fish some more. While they were cycling I was testing the gear to name sure it was good. Great fun catching a few fish with no pressure, then they'd see and want to catch, so you end up teaching them feeding and catching unhooking etc.

That’s the plan Nick . I’ve gone down the Middy route as though it’s not expensive you know it’s quality gear and won’t let us down .

I went for the Battlezome whip but same sort of thing 👍🏻

30 minutes ago, newmarket said:

That’s the plan Nick . I’ve gone down the Middy route as though it’s not expensive you know it’s quality gear and won’t let us down .

I went for the Battlezome whip but same sort of thing 👍🏻

That works!

Levi when he was young kept wanting to go fishing, so I bought him the gear.

His first trip, just a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon after dinner, I asked him how many fish he would catch. "10".

He had a little roach after a few casts, caught a few more, then it went quiet, kept feeding, couple more, then got to 9 fish and went dead.

I thought what the heck, got elastic in the pole, so put sweetcorn on, nothing, back to red maggot, and caught a lovely little linear, just as we were due to pack up. Perfect 10!

• 1 month later...

Then he pulled out a couple of little snottys and a few more little roach .

He seemed to get a bit bored after a while and started wandering up and down the bank watching everyone else .

Anyway after a while he sat back down , inspired I think by something he’d seen a couple of swims down . My Mrs stuck a few maggots on his little size 18 hook for him and he flicked it out . As it hit the water the tiny float disappeared.

And didn’t come back . He yanked it back towards him and this …

nearly yanked HIM in 🤣

708F9EFB-C297-47D0-AC42-9C351DAD29E4.thumb.jpeg.93dd1b2d6a7f96528941b8dcac08d565.jpeg

Couldn’t get him home after that , he wanted to stay all night ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

I missed the first ten minutes of the West Ham game 🙄

Now he’s nagging me to go again .. today .

well I told him that ain’t happening but we have a few maggots left so it looks like we’ll be going again tomorrow after his swimming lesson , another little afternoon evening sesh .

what’s not to like eh ?

2 hours ago, newmarket said:

Well yesterday was the day .

We took TJ to Puddledock farm fishery , a local hole in the ground .

In the first few minutes he whipped out a couple of little Roach 😊

2C18008C-B575-40B3-866C-41EFB6D416F0.thumb.jpeg.e9c9429d5fbd2ad2d3beec3c57a04abe.jpegFC6546CA-2E49-4676-B51D-527DEBCB0338.thumb.jpeg.bc1a1fa409be896fe91ca58b7a1997dc.jpegAF3C29E4-BC18-461C-8616-F113C45CA41F.thumb.jpeg.b036886e44cd8d7a575eb8cf732f16f0.jpeg

Then he pulled out a couple of little snottys and a few more little roach .

He seemed to get a bit bored after a while and started wandering up and down the bank watching everyone else .

Anyway after a while he sat back down , inspired I think by something he’d seen a couple of swims down . My Mrs stuck a few maggots on his little size 18 hook for him and he flicked it out . As it hit the water the tiny float disappeared.

And didn’t come back . He yanked it back towards him and this …

nearly yanked HIM in 🤣

708F9EFB-C297-47D0-AC42-9C351DAD29E4.thumb.jpeg.93dd1b2d6a7f96528941b8dcac08d565.jpeg

Couldn’t get him home after that , he wanted to stay all night ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

I missed the first ten minutes of the West Ham game 🙄

Now he’s nagging me to go again .. today .

well I told him that ain’t happening but we have a few maggots left so it looks like we’ll be going again tomorrow after his swimming lesson , another little afternoon evening sesh .

what’s not to like eh ?

Marvellous stuff , Newmarket , and West Ham won ! 

😄

Well he forced me ( at gunpoint of course 😊) to take him again today .

Different venue and they weren’t quite as keen to jump on his maggots so he became quite restless early on .

I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as I thought it was and the secret seems to be to catch early on but credit to him , he was fishing in what seemed like 15 minute bursts and he got his reward in the end .

6DB993BA-59AC-4136-8181-D46D4A6D2E01.thumb.jpeg.51a71e52e9998881da7aba3dc0bf4a16.jpeg497358EC-2E7D-420D-AF6F-B5D9AD3EFF2E.thumb.jpeg.3afabc27729cb55f0bf51cbab79dde76.jpeg917C8004-5D4B-4C98-B9F9-2BFA9D44D038.thumb.jpeg.33be43c3eda54eb7a596faf46807c01c.jpeg8AA6944D-7ED9-46E8-B0D5-BA40A808431F.thumb.jpeg.94b2885b12067ebf735e25b06a64b3ca.jpeg

56CD7810-B35B-4A2A-87F3-F98A81F8BAC3.jpeg

On 07/03/2022 at 21:19, salokcinnodrog said:

Monster is lethal!

If those monster drinks were sold as a solid block of the same ingredients sold as a pill or a smoking product they would be banned.  

10 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Well he forced me ( at gunpoint of course 😊) to take him again today .

Different venue and they weren’t quite as keen to jump on his maggots so he became quite restless early on .

I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as I thought it was and the secret seems to be to catch early on but credit to him , he was fishing in what seemed like 15 minute bursts and he got his reward in the end .

6DB993BA-59AC-4136-8181-D46D4A6D2E01.thumb.jpeg.51a71e52e9998881da7aba3dc0bf4a16.jpeg497358EC-2E7D-420D-AF6F-B5D9AD3EFF2E.thumb.jpeg.3afabc27729cb55f0bf51cbab79dde76.jpeg917C8004-5D4B-4C98-B9F9-2BFA9D44D038.thumb.jpeg.33be43c3eda54eb7a596faf46807c01c.jpeg8AA6944D-7ED9-46E8-B0D5-BA40A808431F.thumb.jpeg.94b2885b12067ebf735e25b06a64b3ca.jpeg

56CD7810-B35B-4A2A-87F3-F98A81F8BAC3.jpeg

little fella looks keen after the large carp, he will be coming on every session be after a carp dog next.

• 1 month later...

As a course man myself when I started taking my daughter it was to a day ticket place on a 4m whip with pole rigs and red maggots, she caught loads of small roach and loved it. Have upgraded her to 8m pole and started teaching her casting with rod and reel but she always goes back to the whip as she just loves plucking fish out and happy with her catches. We now alternate between a venue for her to land roach and the next trip for me to try carp set ups.

These are some if her fish from a nice little venue near Wrentham in suffolk

IMG-20220411-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220411-WA0004.jpg

For your son, I wouldn't recommend buying the best rod on the market just yet- if he decides to drop fishing, then it wouldn't be good to have thrown a whole bunch of money down the drain. If your son decides to fish more, though, I would then buy a better rod for him so it can be a more enjoyable experience. 

As for your size of rod, if your son plans to catch smaller fish species, then I'd elect for a 5-8 lb rod. If he plans to go for larger fish, then I would lean more towards a 10-16 lb rod. As far as length goes, it really doesn't matter all that much in my opinion. A 5 ft rod would be optimal, but you can go up to a 7 ft rod if you can't find anything else. Since your son is new to fishing, it would be best for him to have a push button reel, otherwise it would be difficult for him to learn a full reel with no experience whatsoever (I speak from experience here). 

For a kit, I'd buy him some line that has a pretty similar rating to that of your rod and possibly some lower-rated lines as well if you plan to go fishing for smaller fish. You could get some lures, but I haven't had the greatest experience with them and smaller fish species. And of course, buy bait according to the species of fish that he wants to catch. 

Overall, if he seems to enjoy fishing a lot and goes often, then you can buy him a better rod, reel, and maybe some more equipment too. I could go on for a very long time about gear for smaller fish catching, as that is my specialty, but I'd recommend to learn as you go for this one. 

Wow, a topic that I'm useful! 😁 

Edited by Gato_Amigo111
Forgot to add something, needed to fix it.

• 3 months later...

Took Tj fishing yesterday, he wanted to go back to where we went the first time . 
My old lady picked us up after work but it cost me £35 in a taxi to get there ffs 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Very quiet initially, not much going on , not a lot coming out all round the lake , and as a result Tj’s concentration level began to waver somewhat and he started getting a bit restless.

Hooking into 3 little carp and having em falll off didn’t help , his Autism makes him very over-emotional , tears etc but somehow he stuck at it .

I changed the rig on the Whip , explaining to him that the hook was blunt and may explain the losses , about altering the depth regularly to find where the fish are etc . He seems unable to leave the rig in one position for more than 3 or 4 minutes and ‘casts’ on a regular basis ( resulting in tangles etc which we all go through I spose) but as soon as he caught his first little Roach his interest rekindled .

He said he wanted a ‘monster’ like last time 🤣

45F822B4-2AC5-4A56-AD14-4D838280C804.thumb.jpeg.f17082796420e56add5c5331cc4c21e1.jpeg

Of course , now he wanted more . A few ‘monsters’ followed along with a couple of Roach along the way .

Culminating in what I’m pretty sure is a new personal best for him (only one I weighed on his insistence lol) of 7lb 4ozs.

im incredibly proud of him for the way he stuck at it and proud of myself for having the patience too 😊

Couple more pics including the 7lb fish .

5D46A86A-A424-4EEB-B6EE-6685A52A60FD.thumb.jpeg.a50e2daed76270f9aeb1591e30014ba8.jpeg

12 hours ago, newmarket said:

Of course , now he wanted more . A few ‘monsters’ followed along with a couple of Roach along the way .

Culminating in what I’m pretty sure is a new personal best for him (only one I weighed on his insistence lol) of 7lb 4ozs.

im incredibly proud of him for the way he stuck at it and proud of myself for having the patience too 😊

Couple more pics including the 7lb fish .

5D46A86A-A424-4EEB-B6EE-6685A52A60FD.thumb.jpeg.a50e2daed76270f9aeb1591e30014ba8.jpeg

Excellent stuff , the both of you .

I wonder which gives you the most satisfaction , TJ enjoying himself , or you catching a " monster " ? .

😃