March catch reports

Its-grim-up-north

Well I managed to open my 2022 account finally, I turned up at the lake far from optimistic that soon changed tho after about 10 mins when I noticed a fish excitedly swimming on the surface in open water and the first fish I’ve seen show since autumn. Soon after I was chucking two zigs on the spot. Three hours later and four fish had visited my net… these two being the best…

2B1A2641-49D9-453A-BDD3-1398CC4367FC.jpeg

BE78F679-3330-417D-909C-D32492104DF1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Well I managed to open my 2022 account finally, I turned up at the lake far from optimistic that soon changed tho after about 10 mins when I noticed a fish excitedly swimming on the surface in open water and the first fish I’ve seen show since autumn. Soon after I was chucking two zigs on the spot. Three hours later and four fish had visited my net… these two being the best…

👍 

2 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Great bit of angling well done nice 👍👍👍

3 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Well in mate lovely fish. 👍

On 02/03/2022 at 17:48, Its-grim-up-north said:

Great looking fish well done 👍

Got the rods out for a few hours today, I didn’t manage a single fish, although there were a few cruising about. I had no zig or floater gear as i was travelling light, but they weren’t interested in bottom baits or pop ups. I should have fished better, but I’d just got word that my boy had been excluded from school, so I was in a bad mood and subsequently fished like a muppet! 62C03C15-B231-42AA-862A-75BDF5DD6126.thumb.jpeg.44c1f118a23e6637c001402c5fad46e9.jpegA22420DE-A4B7-41C0-A5A1-9A8C8A55407F.thumb.jpeg.a90a794d43c423546dbe718cd607c736.jpegthis one just taunted me, lounging just out of bounds, the mud on its flanks may suggest he’s been feeding in the silt or flanking on the muddy silt, either way, every snidely placed bait didn’t get a sniff. Here he’s sitting about 8” above my craftily placed pop up! A868FF6B-2B15-426F-A772-DAF47557E1BE.thumb.jpeg.887642233464d5f9055f7db934f143db.jpeg

A couple more over the weekend, multi rigs with super sweet pop ups whacked out at showing fish being the tactic…(it’s that simple). The photo doesn’t do the scaley mirror justice, probably one of the prettiest I’ve caught…

BB701348-58EF-40CF-9732-69ADBC70FA3D.jpeg

839BDB55-F7BB-4FBB-9166-ED3CD010D7FB.jpeg

Edited by Its-grim-up-north

• 2 weeks later...

So after banging on about zigs on here last week I got to Thursday and the conditions are just looking more and more perfect for the black foam. I'm sitting chatting with the heavily pregnant Mrs and drop the question: "If you don't have a baby tonight and I can promise to be back within 20 minutes of getting the call, can I do a quick day session tomorrow"? She chuckled at me thinking I was joking then rolled her eyes as she realized I wasn't. "Go on then". BOOM.

So Thursday night is spent rushing around setting up the big water rods, re-spool the reels (it's been a while since I've fished this place), new shock leaders, load up etc etc. By 11pm I'm done so get my head down. The place I'm fishing is days only and the gates don't open until 06:45 so no need for a silly early morning. Alarm is set for 6am. This will likely be my only day on the water this year due to the baby so I'd dearly love to make it count.

6am comes and by 06:30 I'm at the gate. The clock strikes and I head up the long track to the lake. It's looking absolutely glorious. The sun is already well up, the water is flat calm, and within 1 minute I've clocked where the carp are. I can see a handful of little black dots peppering the surface between ~130-~170 yards. They look like little leaves or even flies but I know that they tip the dorsals of some of the very cool carp this place holds. I eye up a couple of swims looking at angles but another chap is on which kinda forces my hand a little. I end up in a big open grassy area, plenty of room for the big chucking which is good, no shade at all which is slightly less good but no big deal. There's a sheer 5 ft drop to the water which could be a problem but there's little ladder so I'll worry about that if I get a bite.

image.thumb.png.3e1e709802cf27c123917b4196191671.png 

So I start with 2 @ 6 ft and one at 4 ft in 8 ft of water. I just bang them out as far as I can and sit back to survey the scene. It doesn't take long to see there's a pattern to movements and a couple of the rods need a recast. The 4 ft comes off and on goes a 7. One of the others fell a little short so that gets a recast too, still on 6 ft. They both land perfectly so at this point there's not much more I can do. You'll be wondering why if their backs are out of the water in 8 ft am I fishing a foot or two below them? Simple answer, I find you don't get zig bites off carp with backs out, the bites tend to come a ft or 2 down.

So the next few hours are frustrating, it's baking hot and I kinda need a little bit of wind to get these carp right off the surface. The forecast is looking ok with a gentle 7 mph breeze set to arrive in the afternoon. I get a little kip and when I wake the breeze is here and looking PERFECT for it. I have a cuppa and keep my eyes peeled but don't see much which is either very good or very bad news. Either they've dropped in the water or they've done the off. Eventually I spot one milling about not far out in front of me which is defo a good sign. The wind is coming from the NE and has a slight chill to it, you couldn't ask for better zig conditions, and I'm just thinking that these rods have to go when the right hander on a 6 ft rips off.

So I hit it and hobble about trying to get the waders on before sitting on the edge and hopping down into the drink. First thing I realize is the net's still up on the bank so after gaining a little line and steadying this fish I have to struggle trying to reach the net. I manage to get it and then I can settle down to enjoy the fight. It kites left and right but with bow string lines at distance it's dead easy to get the fish in without taking out the other rods. It's a great fight at range and I love every minute of it. I'm buzzing my you-know-whats off as it goes in the net, happy just to be out, let alone catch one. It's a common, one I've not had and I don't recognize.

I call matey over to help with the pics and I'm glad he's there tbh. Dragging this thing up and down the ladders in a retainer would not be the one so it helps immensely to be able to pass it up to him. On the bank this common is looking cooler, and cooler, and cooler.  It's a cracking dark fish with a black head and tail, classic overslung mouth, and a bit bigger than I'd thought it was in the net. I give matey a crash-course in using my camera and I can tell from his first couple of shots that he has the eye for a pic so no need for self takes. Another result. 

image.thumb.png.8fb6abe54a216bbc297d48593b3bd714.png

Pics done we put her back and I'm just smiling from ear to ear, over the moon with that result. This is not an easy water and to tackle it with one 10 hour session is a tall order so obviously I'm buzzing.  It's still looking class out there and I'm just about to tie another zig to get the rod back out when me and matey spot a fish to my left. We're just staring at this fish when the middle rod gives a couple of bleeps before tearing off. It's a bit easier with matey on hand to help. I hand him the rod and climb down the ladder and he passes it down to me, followed by the net. Good man.

This one fights completely differently. There's no kiting at all and it just wants to stay where it is, using it's weight to hold position. This is normally a very good sign so I just carry on trying not to get excited. Slowly it comes back towards me and as it gets near matey from his elevated position tells me it looks a good'n. Eventually it bobs about for a bit 10 yards out then this big black bony head with sunken eyes pops up, telling me it's very possible I have one of the handful of original mirrors on the end. I play it very lightly under the tip with a loose clutch on my 10 lb zig line and it does the trick, within a few minutes it's in the net. A quick check of it's flank and I recognize it straight away. It IS one of the special ones, and one I've not had before, so the session has gone from great to absolutely awesome just like that.

I'm even more glad matey is here to help with is one. This mirror is proper ancient and rather heavy too, not the kind of fish you want to be messing around with. I pass it up to him and we check her out ready for the photos. She is AWESOME. Her old bony head looks every bit of its age which is getting on for 45 years now. She has clusters of irregular scaling, the scales being a dull bronze colour. You can tell they would have shone bright gold back in her hey-day in the 80's. She has a humped back and a thick wrist to the tail. Her black and grey skin is old and wrinkly. She's certainly what I'd refer to as a proper one. Pics done and we pop her back.

image.thumb.png.d13846bb0d9640cb2796c5c844180148.png

Well after that little episode I'm that happy that I'm prepare to call it  day. I bring the other rod in, pack up, get home early to surprise the Mrs, and thank her repeatedly for letting me go. If I don't get another session this year I'll probably not complain. I'd have taken a stocky today so to come away with that absolutely beautiful common and one of the special mirrors is just a fantastic result. 

I hope you like the pics and my overly wordy catch report. Until next year...... lol.

11 minutes ago, yonny said:

So after banging on about zigs on here last week I got to Thursday and the conditions are just looking more and more perfect for the black foam. I'm sitting chatting with the heavily pregnant Mrs and drop the question: "If you don't have a baby tonight and I can promise to be back within 20 minutes of getting the call, can I do a quick day session tomorrow"? She chuckled at me thinking I was joking then rolled her eyes as she realized I wasn't. "Go on then". BOOM.

So Thursday night is spent rushing around setting up the big water rods, re-spool the reels (it's been a while since I've fished this place), new shock leaders, load up etc etc. By 11pm I'm done so get my head down. The place I'm fishing is days only and the gates don't open until 06:45 so no need for a silly early morning. Alarm is set for 6am. This will likely be my only day on the water this year due to the baby so I'd dearly love to make it count.

6am comes and by 06:30 I'm at the gate. The clock strikes and I head up the long track to the lake. It's looking absolutely glorious. The sun is already well up, the water is flat calm, and within 1 minute I've clocked where the carp are. I can see a handful of little black dots peppering the surface between ~130-~170 yards. They look like little leaves or even flies but I know that they tip the dorsals of some of the very cool carp this place holds. I eye up a couple of swims looking at angles but another chap is on which kinda forces my hand a little. I end up in a big open grassy area, plenty of room for the big chucking which is good, no shade at all which is slightly less good but no big deal. There's a sheer 5 ft drop to the water which could be a problem but there's little ladder so I'll worry about that if I get a bite.

So I start with 2 @ 6 ft and one at 4 ft in 8 ft of water. I just bang them out as far as I can and sit back to survey the scene. It doesn't take long to see there's a pattern to movements and a couple of the rods need a recast. The 4 ft comes off and on goes a 7. One of the others fell a little short so that gets a recast too, still on 6 ft. They both land perfectly so at this point there's not much more I can do. You'll be wondering why if their backs are out of the water in 8 ft am I fishing a foot or two below them? Simple answer, I find you don't get zig bites off carp with backs out, the bites tend to come a ft or 2 down.

So the next few hours are frustrating, it's baking hot and I kinda need a little bit of wind to get these carp right off the surface. The forecast is looking ok with a gentle 7 mph breeze set to arrive in the afternoon. I get a little kip and when I wake the breeze is here and looking PERFECT for it. I have a cuppa and keep my eyes peeled but don't see much which is either very good or very bad news. Either they've dropped in the water or they've done the off. Eventually I spot one milling about not far out in front of me which is defo a good sign. The wind is coming from the NE and has a slight chill to it, you couldn't ask for better zig conditions, and I'm just thinking that these rods have to go when the right hander on a 6 ft rips off.

So I hit it and hobble about trying to get the waders on before sitting on the edge and hopping down into the drink. First thing I realize is the net's still up on the bank so after gaining a little line and steadying this fish I have to struggle trying to reach the net. I manage to get it and then I can settle down to enjoy the fight. It kites left and right but with bow string lines at distance it's dead easy to get the fish in without taking out the other rods. It's a great fight at range and I love every minute of it. I'm buzzing my you-know-whats off as it goes in the net, happy just to be out, let alone catch one. It's a common, one I've not had and I don't recognize.

I call matey over to help with the pics and I'm glad he's there tbh. Dragging this thing up and down the ladders in a retainer would not be the one so it helps immensely to be able to pass it up to him. On the bank this common is looking cooler, and cooler, and cooler.  It's a cracking dark fish with a black head and tail, classic overslung mouth, and a bit bigger than I'd thought it was in the net. I give matey a crash-course in using my camera and I can tell from his first couple of shots that he has the eye for a pic so no need for self takes. Another result. 

Pics done we put her back and I'm just smiling from ear to ear, over the moon with that result. This is not an easy water and to tackle it with one 10 hour session is a tall order so obviously I'm buzzing.  It's still looking class out there and I'm just about to tie another zig to get the rod back out when me and matey spot a fish to my left. We're just staring at this fish when the middle rod gives a couple of bleeps before tearing off. It's a bit easier with matey on hand to help. I hand him the rod and climb down the ladder and he passes it down to me, followed by the net. Good man.

This one fights completely differently. There's no kiting at all and it just wants to stay where it is, using it's weight to hold position. This is normally a very good sign so I just carry on trying not to get excited. Slowly it comes back towards me and as it gets near matey from his elevated position tells me it looks a good'n. Eventually it bobs about for a bit 10 yards out then this big black bony head with sunken eyes pops up, telling me it's very possible I have one of the handful of original mirrors on the end. I play it very lightly under the tip with a loose clutch on my 10 lb zig line and it does the trick, within a few minutes it's in the net. A quick check of it's flank and I recognize it straight away. It IS one of the special ones, and one I've not had before, so the session has gone from great to absolutely awesome just like that.

I'm even more glad matey is here to help with is one. This mirror is proper ancient and rather heavy too, not the kind of fish you want to be messing around with. I pass it up to him and we check her out ready for the photos. She is AWESOME. Her old bony head looks every bit of its age which is getting on for 45 years now. She has clusters of irregular scaling, the scales being a dull bronze colour. You can tell they would have shone bright gold back in her hey-day in the 80's. She has a humped back and a thick wrist to the tail. Her black and grey skin is old and wrinkly. She's certainly what I'd refer to as a proper one. Pics done and we pop her back.

Well after that little episode I'm that happy that I'm prepare to call it  day. I bring the other rod in, pack up, get home early to surprise the Mrs, and thank her repeatedly for letting me go. If I don't get another session this year I'll probably not complain. I'd have taken a stocky today so to come away with that absolutely beautiful common and one of the special mirrors is just a fantastic result. 

I hope you like the pics and my overly wordy catch report. Until next year...... lol.

When you know, you just know. 

Brilliant angling and Awsome catches... 👌🎣

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Day of dreams that one great angling,a pair of rippers, wow 

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Top angling as usual Yonny, you don't have catch some stunning fish mate. 👍

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Well done mate - top job! 😎👍

Did my first overnight of the year last Wednesday on a club lake,it’s been a while since I sat behind the alarms as I’ve spent the winter chasing other species (and bagged a PB to boot)😎

Anyway these two graced my net and the ever faithful maggots doing the damage on this heavily fished boilie and pellet water. Lovely warm day was nippy still through the night tho and the fish was like blocks of ice so happy with the result. Also got to christen my new reels that I got for my 9 fts one fish on each rod so it was pretty much a perfect day 

1BA62F21-40B0-4446-9CE2-259E3CB063D6.jpeg

BF3D1E9C-7170-44BD-925B-127BA2BB5BB1.jpeg

E1F8C599-F328-424A-9BB9-8B94DAAB441A.jpeg

B137C4CA-7A6B-446D-A663-4FA483D302B6.jpeg

On 28/03/2022 at 09:56, yonny said:

Great story , Yonny , with not 1 , but 2 beautiful dark Carp ( I don't usually rate Commons , but the 1 you caught 😮 ) .

Was there a postscript to your story , i.e. you turned up at the Maternity Suite still wearing your waders ? .

😁

22 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Did my first overnight of the year last Wednesday on a club lake,it’s been a while since I sat behind the alarms as I’ve spent the winter chasing other species (and bagged a PB to boot)😎

Anyway these two graced my net and the ever faithful maggots doing the damage on this heavily fished boilie and pellet water. Lovely warm day was nippy still through the night tho and the fish was like blocks of ice so happy with the result. Also got to christen my new reels that I got for my 9 fts one fish on each rod so it was pretty much a perfect day 

1BA62F21-40B0-4446-9CE2-259E3CB063D6.jpeg

BF3D1E9C-7170-44BD-925B-127BA2BB5BB1.jpeg

E1F8C599-F328-424A-9BB9-8B94DAAB441A.jpeg

B137C4CA-7A6B-446D-A663-4FA483D302B6.jpeg

Hello Stevo

Good to see you posting again , I wondered what had happened to you .

😁

32 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hello Stevo

Good to see you posting again , I wondered what had happened to you .

😁

Thanks mate. Took a step back from just carp angling although did still do a few sessions 😉 Covid seen us get crazy busy in work a 6wk job turned into 2 years (and plenty of OT) a heart attack 3 years ago and getting an old mate back into the swing of fishing after a 15 years break (how can anyone give up fishing for cage fighting 🙄) but the biggest stumbling block was I’d forgot my details and basically just stopped posting. Would put my post on FB but a link Nick put up on FB seen me have a read and I thought you know I miss .com so thought I’d start posting again. Hope your well,mate.