Attaching Pop Ups

crusian

25 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Everyone

Can I have your guidance pls.? .

This is for a Ronnie Rig .

Do I use a Bait Screw ( Plastic or Metal ) , or tie onto a Hook Ring Swivel with floss ? .

Ta

😃

Cut a length of bait floss or braid, thread through rig ring, double it over and pull through the pop-up with baiting needle, then lighter tag the doubled end. 

21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Until recently I would've said bait screw, but I've had a few return with no bait on since I've been dicking about with goos and that, if in doubt tie it on from now on i think 

I use fox fine bait needle to thread the floss, baitstop and blob tag ends for that very reason!

With all the money, kit, effort in prebaiting, loading and setting up, the last thing you want is to loose your hook bait. 

14 hours ago, commonly said:

I use fox fine bait needle to thread the floss, baitstop and blob tag ends for that very reason!

With all the money, kit, effort in prebaiting, loading and setting up, the last thing you want is to loose your hook bait. 

They were fine with harder pop ups just when they are gooed they become a bit softer and occasionally come off easily, but I know what you mean can be frustrating bringing in no bait when you think you should've had a bite, tbh my goo findings have never been that conclusive anyway, I caught mainly caught on ungooed match the hatch last year a couple of pink goo specials but mainly match the hatch I think, that being said I think my match the hatch ones were usually in the right place lol, 

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

They were fine with harder pop ups just when they are gooed they become a bit softer and occasionally come off easily, but I know what you mean can be frustrating bringing in no bait when you think you should've had a bite, tbh my goo findings have never been that conclusive anyway, I caught mainly caught on ungooed match the hatch last year a couple of pink goo specials but mainly match the hatch I think, that being said I think my match the hatch ones were usually in the right place lol, 

Falling in to the trap then saving yourself there. Worst thing we do as anglers is say “I changed to this bait and caught more” because we never really know. You could go hours without a carp in the swim, change and they turn up and feed. Who’s to say you wouldn’t have caught on what you had on before. 

as you said right place, right time, right everything to get that bite. 

21 hours ago, greekskii said:

Falling in to the trap then saving yourself there. Worst thing we do as anglers is say “I changed to this bait and caught more” because we never really know. You could go hours without a carp in the swim, change and they turn up and feed. Who’s to say you wouldn’t have caught on what you had on before. 

as you said right place, right time, right everything to get that bite. 

I definately went through a spell when match the hatch was more productive, I usually try one or two different ones just to see, no point having all 3 rods asking the same question, but I think for me location, spots, and preperation are more important, I think the freebies play a big part too, if they trough on them they are more catchable, something I will say for free though 

This years biggest lesson was........ 

If prebaiting a swim or you know the spots or whatever, when you get there to fish, before you whack out spombs of bait and crash leads around and spaff any early chances by setting the traps, just chuck out a rod with a mesh bag or something while you set the rest of the kit up, I've had a few quick bites just doing this, sometimes I've only got 1 or 2 rods out like this before its gone and that sets you up for a good session, 👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I definately went through a spell when match the hatch was more productive, I usually try one or two different ones just to see, no point having all 3 rods asking the same question, but I think for me location, spots, and preperation are more important, I think the freebies play a big part too, if they trough on them they are more catchable, something I will say for free though 

This years biggest lesson was........ 

If prebaiting a swim or you know the spots or whatever, when you get there to fish, before you whack out spombs of bait and crash leads around and spaff any early chances by setting the traps, just chuck out a rod with a mesh bag or something while you set the rest of the kit up, I've had a few quick bites just doing this, sometimes I've only got 1 or 2 rods out like this before its gone and that sets you up for a good session, 👍

I rarely put any bait in at the start of a session, and bait up on top of the rods after a couple of hours. One rod is always left unbaited, only the bag itself from the cast. 

I did used to tie pop-ups on through the rig ring, but found the thread and blob just as easy. The only exception now is if I tie a pop-up to the hair loop above a bottom bait to create a snowman. 

I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question now 😂

Hook ring swivels? Are they working for you or against you if your bait spins when it's picked up ? Do they make it easier or harder for the fish to eject the rig? And do they stop the rig turning so easily or effectively if the hookbait spins rather than say a bait screw which will only turn so far before it pulls the hook round ? 

It's something that's bugged me for a while now, and I can't work it out 😂

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Hook ring swivels? Are they working for you or against you if your bait spins when it's picked up ? Do they make it easier or harder for the fish to eject the rig? And do they stop the rig turning so easily or effectively if the hookbait spins rather than say a bait screw which will only turn so far before it pulls the hook round ? 

I don’t look that deep into it lol 

29 minutes ago, framey said:

I don’t look that deep into it lol 

I probably shouldn't but I'm blessed with one of those brains that massively overthinks tiny things like this, I noticed it when I did a palm test once where the bait rolled because of the swivel it seemed to stop the hook turning, then the thoughts just move on from there until I ask a possibly stupid question or find an answer 🤔😭😂

Edited by elmoputney

14 minutes ago, framey said:

I don’t think it’s a stupid question at all 

But 

have you tried the palm test with a hair rig the same length to see what happens there

Yeah it's definately different without a swivel because the bait won't roll so it tends to act more you would want it to act and blowback and then I think the rig turns more naturally I always use kickers because I am convinced they help turn the hook, and I've often talked myself out of using hook swivels for that reason but I can't decide if it spinning makes it harder or easier for the fish to eject, but I don't think they are as effective on palm tests generally, 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I probably shouldn't but I'm blessed with one of those brains that massively overthinks tiny things like this, I noticed it when I did a palm test once where the bait rolled because of the swivel it seemed to stop the hook turning, then the thoughts just move on from there until I ask a possibly stupid question or find an answer 🤔😭😂

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah it's definately different without a swivel because the bait won't roll so it tends to act more you would want it to act and blowback and then I think the rig turns more naturally I always use kickers because I am convinced they help turn the hook, and I've often talked myself out of using hook swivels for that reason but I can't decide if it spinning makes it harder or easier for the fish to eject, but I don't think they are as effective on palm tests generally, 

I'm glad I haven't got a brain like yours , Elmo , I have enough trouble trying to find some peace as it is 😁.

Just to mess with your head even more - is the Palm Test reliable anyway ? , i.e. does the hook behave a lot differently when  in water 🤔 ? .

😃 

1 hour ago, crusian said:

I'm glad I haven't got a brain like yours , Elmo , I have enough trouble trying to find some peace as it is 😁.

Just to mess with your head even more - is the Palm Test reliable anyway ? , i.e. does the hook behave a lot differently when  in water 🤔 ? .

😃

It can be a good distraction from reality 😂

I'm not sure the palm test is totally reliable but I have more confidence In a rig that's effective on a palm test, every little helps as they say 👍

• 5 months later...
On 24/01/2022 at 17:49, elmoputney said:

Did you ever work out the answer to your question , Elmo ? .

I'm asking as I've just started using the RidgeMonkey Hook Ring Bait Screws , but l'm wondering should I use say an ESP Plastic Bait Screw that doesn't spin ? .

🤔

1 minute ago, crusian said:

Did you ever work out the answer to your question , Elmo ? .

I'm asking as I've just started using the RidgeMonkey Hook Ring Bait Screws , but l'm wondering should I use say an ESP Plastic Bait Screw that doesn't spin ? .

🤔

I use the Nash 8mm Bait Screws for my rigs.