Leading around

callum23

I would only lead around in an unfamiliar swim, if I know the spots well, then I’ll whack the leads out to clip up to the spots then use marker elastic to mark the lines. I occasionally use a marker float if I need to find a certain spot or want to double check something, then cast the rods, clip the rods up and marker elastic as usual. Marker comes in and rods whacked out. I don’t usually go for this leading all over the swim. If I’m fishing the margins, I may donk a lead about to get an idea of depth and firmness of the bottom, but a lot of my waters are very silty, so winging a lead all over would give me limited info, a rough estimate of depth followed by a poor drop as it hits the silt. I know my waters like the back of my hand anyway, so I know where I’m aiming and where will do bites. 

On 17/12/2021 at 17:05, callum23 said:

Do people always lead around when they get to the lake ? Or will this just scare the fish off?  I guess it’s helpful to find clear spots and these types of areas but doesn’t it affect the fishing ? Opinions pls 

I have had carp while the marker float is still in the swim after feeling around and baiting up to it, and had takes within minutes of reeling in.

I tend to lead around, or even use the marker float every trip. Sometimes a feature is so 'tight' that I need to be hitting it, a metre either side could see my bait in missing the gravel bar totally, or in a thick weedbed.

Right now I'm using the leading around to find fishable spots, and then get my rods clipped up to that length, with far bank markers as my aiming point. Just casting out 'blind' could, again, see my bait in thick weed. I don't mind my freebies landing in weed, but it is soul destroying reeling in a ball of weed with your hook point masked in weed, and the contents of the PVA bag stuck in the middle of it.

I may know the features of the lake, even mapped it out, but a marker float, and/or leading around are invaluable every trip. Some trips, I may actually cast and bait up to the marker every day.

On 17/12/2021 at 17:05, callum23 said:

Do people always lead around when they get to the lake ? Or will this just scare the fish off?  I guess it’s helpful to find clear spots and these types of areas but doesn’t it affect the fishing ? Opinions pls 

On 17/12/2021 at 20:59, framey said:

Do it when you leave as long as no one else is fishing a similar area

log it somewhere then remember for next time you get in the swim 

this time of year is pretty good for it as no one/ hardly anyone around

Like others, I do it on a swim I e never fished, just take my rig off and 1 or 2 casts, but I know my water pretty well. 

But this year I've invested in all the finding gear, Spod n Marker Rod, feature/probe leads... I will doing this in a week or 2 after new year when quiet. 

There are a few swims on 2 of the waters I fish I want to get to know, and a few spots on a stretch of canal I've found. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fish rarely get scared away for long. In fact most lakes the fish know when bait is coming in and home in on it. So the lead may spook the odd fish but not for long.

My regular lake doesn't need a lot of leading as I now know where to cast to and can feel the bait settle down but I also fish a lot of brand new lakes.

We go caravanning and I only book sites with a lake to fish. First thing I do (where possible) is chat to the Bailiff. They will give you such a great insight to the lake. The second thing I do is walk the lake. Once I've found a spot I lead the swim. Pub chucks can be successful as I can testify to a few of my own but nothing beats 10-15mins leading a swim.

Most of the caravan site lakes are day ticket only so it's an absolute must to get an idea of what's in your swim. For me its second nature and has to be done. If you want to catch more fish you need to get the lead out and cast about. Knowledge is king no matter where you fish.

On 28/12/2021 at 22:55, greekskii said:

Tell this to the carp in the pit I fished earlier this year. One 1oz lead within 20 yards and they’d move and never return!! 

leading around imo has to be done. Preferably on a Recce trip before fishing. 

It really depends on the lake and the residents.

I'm lucky in that I have not fished a lake with such wary fish, but I have seen it. I have spooked carp with a lead landing near them, but they did return.

I have fished a lake where to get the more wary bigger fish you may have to have your hookbait in situ for 48hours before you got a take. Very weird as baiting up to the marker on a bar could see a fish in minutes, yet fishing a spot tight to the margins, baiting by hand and you needed to leave the bait unmoved for 2 days.

Two of my 30's from Brackens I had lowered the hookbait in, baited around it, then left it. These were both fish that did not often get caught!