December catch reports

kevtaylor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So with Christmas over, the boy and I carried on our quest on Wednesday for his first pike, heading to my local ressie that does a few, the weather was absolutely awful, high winds, pouring with rain, nice and mild though, a day of static deadbaiting and wobbling didn’t produce a single twitch for either of us, cold and fishless, we headed home. So that was it.A434DF29-BAC8-455E-8745-0FA170EEEE13.thumb.jpeg.43b2f715a041adb4c31377d742337aef.jpegBABC7442-0860-4721-84A0-977D9855D41C.thumb.jpeg.540603e44125946d01f00e568bf44f9a.jpeg

Or was it??

I woke up this morning with “that” feeling, the one you get when you just need to be in a spot with a rod in the water, so I dragged the boy out of his warm bed, wrapped ourselves up with waterproofs and headed out into the driving rain and high winds again. This time, we just took one rod each and a selection of plugs, spinners and shads and headed down to a tiny canal that I’ve never fished, let alone seen anyone else fishing. We headed off into the rain to find the canal very high and coloured, not best lure fishing conditions, but rumour has it, that this tiny canal holds pike, I reckoned that they would only be jacks, but my son only needs one bite to catch his first pike, so it was worth a go! We walked for miles, flicking little lures into the water, having real issues with the weed and debris washing downstream, it seemed hopeless. I told the boy we were going on a hike and walked about a mile and a half to a wier that was catching all the debris, the water from here looked more inviting, wider, slower and deeper. But flicking lures about still didn’t produce, my boy picked out a tiny perch spinner and stuck it on, thinking a perch or a jack would have a go to save his blank, off he wandered, casting as he went, with me having to clamber through bushes and trees to unsnag him every 3rd cast as a gust of wind snatched his spinner mid cast and threw it up the bank! I stopped to talk to an old boy who was telling me that we were flogging a dead horse as the water was like hot chocolate, I had to agree that it was looking dire, i began to doubt there was anything in here, with that I started walking up to where my boy had got to, when I saw him lift his rod sharply and it took on a lovely bend, “snagged again” I muttered as I headed towards him, with that, his rod slammed down and his reel screamed… he was in! Now despite his best efforts, this fish wouldn’t come off the bottom, it just went on unstoppable runs up and down the canal, I started to think, this is no jack! After 10mins, it finally broke surface, blooming hell its a crocodile! My bottle proper went then, as did the boys! He was literally shaking with excitement as I managed to get a net under it.B4B82402-898D-4091-B598-BDA8B80936BF.thumb.jpeg.908bc7586517499000f2092495810dfd.jpeg

At 18lb, it was one hell of a first pike! From a tiny canal that I’ve walked hundreds of times without a thought of casting a bait in there! Why I suddenly woke this morning with the overwhelming urge to go try it, lord knows, but I’m glad we did! I blanked, but do I care? Like hell I do! Plus, I know they are in there now, so I’ll definitely be heading there when the kids are back at school!

On 30/12/2022 at 17:15, ouchthathurt said:

So with Christmas over, the boy and I carried on our quest on Wednesday for his first pike, heading to my local ressie that does a few, the weather was absolutely awful, high winds, pouring with rain, nice and mild though, a day of static deadbaiting and wobbling didn’t produce a single twitch for either of us, cold and fishless, we headed home. So that was it.A434DF29-BAC8-455E-8745-0FA170EEEE13.thumb.jpeg.43b2f715a041adb4c31377d742337aef.jpegBABC7442-0860-4721-84A0-977D9855D41C.thumb.jpeg.540603e44125946d01f00e568bf44f9a.jpeg

Or was it??

I woke up this morning with “that” feeling, the one you get when you just need to be in a spot with a rod in the water, so I dragged the boy out of his warm bed, wrapped ourselves up with waterproofs and headed out into the driving rain and high winds again. This time, we just took one rod each and a selection of plugs, spinners and shads and headed down to a tiny canal that I’ve never fished, let alone seen anyone else fishing. We headed off into the rain to find the canal very high and coloured, not best lure fishing conditions, but rumour has it, that this tiny canal holds pike, I reckoned that they would only be jacks, but my son only needs one bite to catch his first pike, so it was worth a go! We walked for miles, flicking little lures into the water, having real issues with the weed and debris washing downstream, it seemed hopeless. I told the boy we were going on a hike and walked about a mile and a half to a wier that was catching all the debris, the water from here looked more inviting, wider, slower and deeper. But flicking lures about still didn’t produce, my boy picked out a tiny perch spinner and stuck it on, thinking a perch or a jack would have a go to save his blank, off he wandered, casting as he went, with me having to clamber through bushes and trees to unsnag him every 3rd cast as a gust of wind snatched his spinner mid cast and threw it up the bank! I stopped to talk to an old boy who was telling me that we were flogging a dead horse as the water was like hot chocolate, I had to agree that it was looking dire, i began to doubt there was anything in here, with that I started walking up to where my boy had got to, when I saw him lift his rod sharply and it took on a lovely bend, “snagged again” I muttered as I headed towards him, with that, his rod slammed down and his reel screamed… he was in! Now despite his best efforts, this fish wouldn’t come off the bottom, it just went on unstoppable runs up and down the canal, I started to think, this is no jack! After 10mins, it finally broke surface, blooming hell its a crocodile! My bottle proper went then, as did the boys! He was literally shaking with excitement as I managed to get a net under it.B4B82402-898D-4091-B598-BDA8B80936BF.thumb.jpeg.908bc7586517499000f2092495810dfd.jpeg

At 18lb, it was one hell of a first pike! From a tiny canal that I’ve walked hundreds of times without a thought of casting a bait in there! Why I suddenly woke this morning with the overwhelming urge to go try it, lord knows, but I’m glad we did! I blanked, but do I care? Like hell I do! Plus, I know they are in there now, so I’ll definitely be heading there when the kids are back at school!

Bravo to your boy mate , lovely Pike at any time let alone your first

Well done, all the hard work pays off! 

Sometimes! 

I had a similar pike trip with my eldest a few years ago (9yr old at the time).  Great fun. 

I am very impressed with how calm your son seems, holding that beast!!

I'm always very wary of those teeth. Once bitten, twice shy & all that! 

4 hours ago, crusian said:

Superb stuff , Ouch.

You and your Lad have obviously got big cajones , I for one wouldn't have ventured out in those conditions ; " he who dares wins , Rodney " .

😃

The weather was awful, we were both well wrapped up, but I was determined to get to that section of the canal! We still got pretty soaked though. 

3 hours ago, commonly said:

Well done, all the hard work pays off! 

Sometimes! 

I had a similar pike trip with my eldest a few years ago (9yr old at the time).  Great fun. 

I am very impressed with how calm your son seems, holding that beast!!

I'm always very wary of those teeth. Once bitten, twice shy & all that! 

He was pretty nervous, but I showed him the teeth and how to get a secure hold without risking the teeth! I also showed him the use of foreceps and side cutters, (although the hook came out in the net!) so long as he kept away from the head he was ok! 

Jus come back from 1st session of year, was a light day session.... 

As normal, stuck to what I've been using in previous sessions.....i didn't even have a single Bleep, mate who I was fishing with was in peg at side of me, had 5 fish n lost 2, he was trying a new bait for himself, DNA Bug, now he thinks it's a wonder bait.

Both fishing EXACT style, running rigs on semi slack lines, 6 wraps straight out.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Jus come back from 1st session of year, was a light day session.... 

As normal, stuck to what I've been using in previous sessions.....i didn't even have a single Bleep, mate who I was fishing with was in peg at side of me, had 5 fish n lost 2, he was trying a new bait for himself, DNA Bug, now he thinks it's a wonder bait.

Both fishing EXACT style, running rigs on semi slack lines, 6 wraps straight out.

The carp ball up when it gets cold your mate was in the right peg at the right time almost any bait would have done a bite…all you had to do was have a sneaky cast over his way 😉

38 minutes ago, B B said:

The carp ball up when it gets cold your mate was in the right peg at the right time almost any bait would have done a bite…all you had to do was have a sneaky cast over his way 😉

Yah, told him that, was also deeper water....

He did well in the few hrs to get as many bites.

• 4 weeks later...

Never done this before I have no social media at all so I’m not used to posting stuff online but I was very pleased with myself at the end of November 2022 when I managed a 4 fish hit from what’s considered by most a hard lake and I haven’t been told I’m not allowed to advertise it or anything so I can tell you it’s called Hook Lake. Here are the beauty’s I managed 

69194BE6-36C3-4243-BE89-4DABCA2B4D60.jpeg

A1F74A4D-A39D-40ED-8EC8-F6DE9289CCD8.jpeg

Just now, Danny Hearn said:

Never done this before I have no social media at all so I’m not used to posting stuff online but I was very pleased with myself at the end of November 2022 when I managed a 4 fish hit from what’s considered by most a hard lake and I haven’t been told I’m not allowed to advertise it or anything so I can tell you it’s called Hook Lake. Here are the beauty’s I managed 

1 minute ago, Danny Hearn said:

Something happened with not being able to load images so I try again to post up the others 

6C097362-A687-4F21-A466-8574FB36373F.jpeg

4BE1E57A-A0F5-4104-BA24-4A9E95C87EF6.jpeg

On 02/01/2023 at 18:25, B B said:

I agree 1 year me and my pal had spent every weekend for 2 months blanking then bought a drone found the shoal. 16 acre lake and the whole stock in a tennis court sized area cast into them and the rod was away 3 times in 20 mins. Just shows you 1 min in the right place better than months in the wrong place 

On 30/12/2022 at 17:15, ouchthathurt said:

Or was it??

Really enjoyed reading your post. In regards to the chocolate water I think it’s interesting because I fish a lake which is almost always muddy brown. Maybe it’s because the lake is constantly like this that the pike have adapted and can still perform well compared to somewhere which is normally clear but the amount of times I have been reeling in my carp rig very fast for it to be taken by a pike tells me it is still possible for them to see/hear/ feel when they need to. 
Great little story well done to you both 

5 hours ago, Danny Hearn said:

It seems the best pictures are too good to be put up 🤣 keeps telling me there’s too much megabytes or something 

Great session pal, when it says on allowed to upload so much, I tens to screen shot the original picture and you can upload more pictures as its less resolution and doesn't take up more memory. 

6 hours ago, Danny Hearn said:

Well done fella - it's pretty mad how localised they become hey 😎👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2023 at 00:34, Danny Hearn said:

Something happened with not being able to load images so I try again to post up the others 

6C097362-A687-4F21-A466-8574FB36373F.jpeg

4BE1E57A-A0F5-4104-BA24-4A9E95C87EF6.jpeg

The fish at the top was one I have wanted since I joined the syndicate. I wouldn’t say it’s a pretty fish but it is apparently 40+ years old and to catch it at its record weight made my season 

Thanks everyone for there likes it might not seem like much to most people but for me I have no social media and it’s nice to get some modern internet likes for something real unlike these fools trying to get likes for buying a Rolex watch or some new dumb shoes or something. I got couple Rolex watches would never ever put a picture of them up online trying show off some people are like lakes I want to fish in winter. SHALLOW 🤣