Chest waders. What do I buy?

Advice needed, please. Son and I are fishing Clay Lakes in northern France next year and one of the requirements/suggestions is that fish should be handled, or at least unhooked,  whilst in the water.

I have no problem with this but have never owned waders of any sort. Hints, tips and suggestions as to what to buy will be welcomed.

Ian

On 30/11/2021 at 22:10, welder said:

Advice needed, please. Son and I are fishing Clay Lakes in northern France next year and one of the requirements/suggestions is that fish should be handled, or at least unhooked,  whilst in the water.

I have no problem with this but have never owned waders of any sort. Hints, tips and suggestions as to what to buy will be welcomed.

Ian

These what I use... 

Screenshot_20211201_192231.thumb.jpg.f2aa8e6c8b2df4710438cbdcaa26397b.jpg

Myself n 2 other mates have em, they've done the job, been in water, used in water... 

Screenshot_20210729_094330.thumb.jpg.3ab664dc28196eaadaefb6a9c2bf96c7.jpgIMG-20200829-WA0004.thumb.jpg.5754812b3f00a9f42725b14097c4891c.jpgIMG_20200823_092517.thumb.jpg.62e8322eea19199a4d1e973285a8a707.jpg

No problems from us yet, we did look at the wais and shoe size and went 1 size bigger on each. 

There's always, Fox Trakker, Vass.... You could even go local tackle shop and see If could try on for sizing? 

5 minutes ago, Highy said:

These what I use... 

Myself n 2 other mates have em, they've done the job, been in water, used in water... 

Screenshot_20210729_094330.thumb.jpg.3ab664dc28196eaadaefb6a9c2bf96c7.jpgIMG-20200829-WA0004.thumb.jpg.5754812b3f00a9f42725b14097c4891c.jpgIMG_20200823_092517.thumb.jpg.62e8322eea19199a4d1e973285a8a707.jpg

No problems from us yet, we did look at the wais and shoe size and went 1 size bigger on each. 

There's always, Fox Trakker, Vass.... You could even go local tackle shop and see If could try on for sizing? 

Thanks for this, I was wondering about sizing. I guess a visit to Angling Direct would make sense. Try for size etc.

Ian

3 minutes ago, welder said:

Thanks for this, I was wondering about sizing. I guess a visit to Angling Direct would make sense. Try for size etc.

Ian

I would if I needed some more, I would ask em. I've not tried wearing mine for a long time yet though, sweatness I couldn't tell you as longest I've had em on for is about n hour and was okk then. 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I got some bison waders a couple of years ago, they get a little sweaty if you are working hard weeding or anything, but I don't tend to wear them for long periods so they do the job fine, I went up a shoe size seems to be the rule I think, 

And therein lies the rub. Almost literally, I suspect. I'd imagine that we'd be wearing the things for long periods whilst fishing as I don't suppose it makes sense to keep putting them on and removing them.

Ian.

10 minutes ago, welder said:

And therein lies the rub. Almost literally, I suspect. I'd imagine that we'd be wearing the things for long periods whilst fishing as I don't suppose it makes sense to keep putting them on and removing them.

Ian.

Might be better off with a good quality brand then, seen lads were Vass waders with no complaints, if I end up needing new ones, these will be next. 

9 hours ago, Highy said:

Might be better off with a good quality brand then, seen lads were Vass waders with no complaints, if I end up needing new ones, these will be next. 

Thanks. Highy. This confirms what I suspected. I'll take a look at the decent quality stuff.

Ian.

I went the cheaper route to get what I was after, and have had no problems.

Mine have been worn while pike fishing, a swim on the local water is one that requires waders to be worn to net fish. You don't have time to faff putting them on.

They also do the job when carp fishing, I have spent a lot of time wading the past 2 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303283926650?hash=item469d21767a:g:LYcAAOSwSC1de8fr

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I went the cheaper route to get what I was after, and have had no problems.

Mine have been worn while pike fishing, a swim on the local water is one that requires waders to be worn to net fish. You don't have time to faff putting them on.

They also do the job when carp fishing, I have spent a lot of time wading the past 2 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303283926650?hash=item469d21767a:g:LYcAAOSwSC1de8fr

13 hours ago, Highy said:

These what I use... 

Think mine weren't expensive, want to say £30 tops. 

10 hours ago, welder said:

Ian.

All waders are sweaty horrible things unless you want to buy a set of breathables 

3 minutes ago, framey said:

All waders are sweaty horrible things unless you want to buy a set of breathables 

I don't enjoy wearing them as soon as I don't need too they are off 

11 hours ago, welder said:

Ian.

Mine are fine for what I need, I only ever wear them as long as necessary, but it's the nature of the beast really, 

I take mine off ASAP because I don't like being hot, it's an anxiety trigger so I try to avoid it lol 

Quick tip. Roll them down to the boot and you’ll get them on and off easily. Don’t wear them all the time as they be insufferable. 

alternatively if you’re going through the summer when it’s hot, you could always just buy some £5 sea shoes and pack your trunks? Quick dip to cool down, dry off quickly and saved yourself a few quid! 

5 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Quick tip. Roll them down to the boot and you’ll get them on and off easily. Don’t wear them all the time as they be insufferable. 

alternatively if you’re going through the summer when it’s hot, you could always just buy some £5 sea shoes and pack your trunks? Quick dip to cool down, dry off quickly and saved yourself a few quid! 

Know what, Greekskii? I'm beginning to think that your alternative suggestion may be the way to go. I know from previous experience how hot it can get in France during the summer months and the lake we're on is closely surrounded by dense forest so a cooling breeze is unlikely. Briefly wielding a towel has got to be better than on and off with waders and an opportunity to cool off isn't to be missed. 

Ian

• 5 months later...

see i do use the search😁

any views on waist waders in the house, i need a new set my neoprene ones pretty much just flood from the knees down, so it's time for a new pair, really like the look of the vass waist waders but being a skinny git i struggle with sizes not much point in getting them if they just hit the deck every time i stand up plus most other waist waders are super pricey, anyone got a set i doubt the one size fits all waist will work for me., might try the fox light ones not a bad price in comparison to others, the lightweight vass ones look a bit too rubbery.  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RobW91 said:

Have a look at Pros Waders. 

They're identical to VASS but about half the price.

Having used both I didn't find them to be similar at all. The Pros are more "floppy" for lack of a better word. The VASS sit up nicely when rolled down ready to be put on. The Pros don't, the boots aint stiff enough.

The Ocean waders are very similar to the VASS and used to be available at a fraction of the price but they wised up and price point is similar now.

I found the Pros to be poor compared to the VASS and the Ocean.

On 03/12/2021 at 21:51, welder said:

Know what, Greekskii? I'm beginning to think that your alternative suggestion may be the way to go. I know from previous experience how hot it can get in France during the summer months and the lake we're on is closely surrounded by dense forest so a cooling breeze is unlikely. Briefly wielding a towel has got to be better than on and off with waders and an opportunity to cool off isn't to be missed. 

Ian

I'd agree with this - why bother on a hot summer break just go in with sandals and shorts or whatever, you'll dry off really quickly anyway.

I have lost good fish messing about putting waders on due to easing off the pressure whilst doing so and after that you think why not just dive in?  Have spare clothes - whats more important landing a banger or getting wet?

PS do not get neoprene they are so hot its's unreal

Have a lovely break 👍

1 minute ago, framey said:

Good in the winter though lol

Very true lol

I did a day stalking round my old club water when it flooded.

After several hours of being fine I suddenly felt so sore from the sweat and rubbing that I couldn't carry on.

I guess the best waders are what the trout anglers use with a sock not boot and breathable, but very expensive!