Particles

Hi, 

Next year I will be using more particles in my fishing BUT..  

This style of fishing is a minefield..  Tigers, peanuts, corn, maize, tares, chick peas, Hemp, groats...... 

I've gone halves and bought some unprepared with a mate, but he will be preparing as I've not a clue. 

When I get my own it will be mainly already prepared I'll be buying and wanting a good reputable maker. 

I don't have the Freezer space to freeze it either. 

I've been looking at monster particles lately... Monster Mix £14 for 5kg, Monster Nutty Mix £18 for 5kg but they recommended to be used in 7 days of opening. 

Also, Mainline Power Particle - Pulse, Mainline Nutty Hemp & Tares.... Both £11 for 3kg already prepared.... And I've heard/read all you have to do is keep em covered in water when not being used so they won't go off. 

Would this go for all particle? Just being covered in water keeping the attraction leaking out? 

20 minutes ago, Highy said:

monster particles

The quality is really inconsistent. When it's good it's good but when it's bad you end up with floating hemp and tigers that taste awful.

21 minutes ago, Highy said:

Mainline Power Particle

Decent quality but pricey and full of preservatives.

Worth checking Carbon Baits, I've heard good things about them. They do shelf life too.

https://carbonbaits.co.uk/

22 minutes ago, Highy said:

I've heard/read all you have to do is keep em covered in water when not being used so they won't go off. 

Would this go for all particle? Just being covered in water keeping the attraction leaking out? 

No mate, this wont stop particles going off.

Imo your best bet is to get a Burco and do them fresh. It'll save you money in the long run and you'll get a MUCH better end result. You can just soak once a week, set the pot going in the garden, and leave it for half an hour until they're ready. Dead easy.

Don't like monster particles myself had a bad batch of tigers and they wouldn't refund them, as yonny said get yourself a burco boiler, now I just do mine as and when I need them, fresh is best, and it just adds to the excitement of going fishing, 

Tigers soak for 24 hours and then in a burco I tend to boil them for an hour or so as it heats and cools more, 

Otherwise if using pigeon conditioner soak for 24hrs and Boil for 30 

I think I need a more industrial sized burco though as mine isn't big enough for a massive hit of particles, it's good for tigers and odd bits but needs more girth for a big job of hemp and that 

Worth looking into animal feed suppliers in your area too. They often sell maize, hemp and other particles in bulk bags really cheaply. Preparation is dead easy. Soak for 24 hours (you can add salt, betaine, flavour etc at this point too), then boil for at least 30 mins (sometimes more for larger nuts). if you can pinch the particle and it splits, it's OK to use basically. You can now boost them up again if you wish. Molasses is good for most particles, but will attract other fish and wildlife too. There's loads of videos on Youtube showing the process. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, dalej2014 said:

Worth looking into animal feed suppliers in your area too. They often sell maize, hemp and other particles in bulk bags really cheaply. Preparation is dead easy. Soak for 24 hours (you can add salt, betaine, flavour etc at this point too), then boil for at least 30 mins (sometimes more for larger nuts). if you can pinch the particle and it splits, it's OK to use basically. You can now boost them up again if you wish. Molasses is good for most particles, but will attract other fish and wildlife too. There's loads of videos on Youtube showing the process. Good luck.

The particle will be used on my club lake, but mainly will be used on the Canal, also got 25kg of Aller Aqua Pellets to go with it. 

1 minute ago, dalej2014 said:

Molasses is a blooming horrible though makes everything stink and go sticky, but it does seem to work, I use it with pigeon conditioner mainly 

6 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I love a freshly cooked tiger other than the dryness of mouth you get after a couple 😁

My first experience of tigers was of my Dad soaking and eating them as a snack when I was a nipper. He wasn't an angler, in fact it was years later I discovered they made such a good bait. I wouldn't dream of using them if they weren't good enough to eat myself tbh lol.

4 minutes ago, yonny said:

My first experience of tigers was of my Dad soaking and eating them as a snack when I was a nipper. He wasn't an angler, in fact it was years later I discovered they made such a good bait. I wouldn't dream of using them if they weren't good enough to eat myself tbh lol.

Nope same now, i tried one of the manky monster particles ones disgusting but the ones I make myself are quite moreish 😁

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I love any sort of Nut - Walnut, Cashew, Peanut, Roasted, Brazil, Almonds, Pistachio...bet there all good Baits 😁

Caught on all of those except Walnut. You can also add Macadamias. 
Tigers are the timeless classic for me but a Brazil takes some beating as a hookbait! Just a pity they’re all banned on my waters and I would rather lose a kidney than my Gold card🤣

3 hours ago, carpepecheur said:

You are not supposed to eat them!

I agree, Best way to test them. 

I'm not a Burco man, I have a large cooking pan that I use on the cooker, it doubles up as my Ragu and chilli pan when I make enough for 4 meals (prep and freeze) 

I use a lot of maize myself as tiggers😉 are banned on my lake. I usually soak for 48 hours in water with some sunflower oil and then slow boil, as in bring to the boil then turn heat down to simmer for 20 minutes. I will keep it unused for no more than 2 days before use.

I get lovely maize this way, soft enough to put baiting needle through if I want to use it on the hair. 

I had some awful particles a few years back mid summer when I was on Nazeing. I'd used up all my own ready prepared stuff and the fish were really on the munch so I popped into Johnson Ross to buy a large tub of mixed particles. When I opened the tub the oil had solidified; I had to use a bankstick to break the lump up just to tip them out into my bait bucket to mix them with Vitalin. I didn't catch over them! 

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think I need a more industrial sized burco though as mine isn't big enough for a massive hit of particles, it's good for tigers and odd bits but needs more girth for a big job of hemp and that 

Get a big stock pot from eBay, about £15 I think. Some calor gas and a big camping burner and away you go. I moved on to this set up from a burco and it’s brilliant. 

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I prepare mine and freeze with water in the bags.

This is key, freeze with the water its cooked in or normal water. Alternatively when defrosting make sure its covered in water or saved cooking juices. Otherwise you end up dehydrating it again. defrost 2-3 days beforehand too so it has time to soak the juices back in!

11 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

wouldn't bother with the mainline particles utter junk, stink like a really cheap car air freshener due to the sweetner they add tastes foul, swear they repelled the fish. rock hard greasy and no oily juice whatsoever. 

Giving the Mainline a whirl, ordered before seen this.... 👍