Curved hooks closing point? Split What is your newest purchase

pablo7uk

On 28/07/2021 at 22:55, elmoputney said:

IMG_20210728_224347.thumb.jpg.31b48d726a4ecbb13e2d6c4c70d9916a.jpg

Got a pack of these in the post today, couldn't resist when I saw them, quite sharp out the pack tbh, I think they could be a useful pattern, I've gone from preferring straight point hooks to buying beak points recently, kranks and klors will hopefully catch more 😳

I also got a 2nd magnet for my tackle box just means I can now easily store boom sections ready to go 

I am also into stiff boom section rigs at the moment, 😳 

Now all I need is for the pups to start behaving or I am never going fishing again 😂

What are your thoughts on the klor so far? Wondered about giving them a go - I mainly use either a Ronnie rig, 360 rig or line aligner combi 

4 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

What are your thoughts on the klor so far? Wondered about giving them a go - I mainly use either a Ronnie rig, 360 rig or line aligner combi 

I thought they were OK tbh no major probs I did slightly open one out with a fish but I think that may have been because of all the weed and stuff, and having to bully it a little bit, in normal situations would be good I think, I am mainly using krank x's for Ronnie's at the minute 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Pretty similar but they have a beaked point 

Hmmm... does the beaked point, the curve of the shank, and the angle the line exits the eye, not close off the point... I always have it in my head that its closing off the whole hook to the point that its harder to penetrate a lip... just my take on it...

55 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Hmmm... does the beaked point, the curve of the shank, and the angle the line exits the eye, not close off the point... I always have it in my head that its closing off the whole hook to the point that its harder to penetrate a lip... just my take on it...

I have never really bought into the curve of the hook or tubing closing off the hook preventing penetration.

That would make some very effective rigs 'not work', like the bent hook rigs, Withy pool rig, even the standard kickers or line aligner as well as curved shank hooks.

I can understand the beaked point being used on gravel to try to reduce the chances of the point being burred over.

Rigs incorporating line aligners on Gardner Muggas and on straight shank patterns have worked very well for me over years and years of use.

4 hours ago, bluelabel said:

The klor, was designed so it flipped easy without shrink tubing on pick up, I understand your theory about closing it off and for a long time I agreed with you, but since using the krank I have to say I've had some pretty good hook holds and I don't tend to worry so much, 👍

8 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Don't think I'll bother purchasing any then if they are just a curve shank without the need for line aligner. I think I have more confidence in that little bit of shrink tube

Danny Fairbrass once said curved shank hooks don't need a line aligner, yet I personally found that some fish were able to eject the rig on curved hooks without it. This was where I was able to watch the fish picking up and ejecting the hook and bait, in an area where few people fished.

I add a line aligner to every bottom or snowman bait rig now, whether straight or curved shank. The shank length extension and the line aligner I believe reduces ejection. Some fish will still get away with it, but hooking I think is improved

On 25/10/2021 at 10:58, bluelabel said:

Had the very same conversations on here in the past blue , I'm of the same thinking.  & wouldn't use a line aligner on curve shank hooks  . A good chance of missing out on the better fish as a result imo .

1 hour ago, framey said:

Depends on the eye and if it’s turned in as well I think

a mugga and say…. an esp curve are completely different animals

Agree with that.... definitely depends on the certain pattern.  If you look at the quoted picture top of this thread.  The hook point & eye are in a straight line to each other.... if you stick a line aligner on that it sets the point back to far for the rig mechanics to work effectively.