D rig aligner Vs blowback aligner Vs German rig with aligner

pablo7uk

Hi all,

Having a rethink on my rigs as I've had so many blanks this year. In terms of the hooking potential or mechanics of the above 3 rigs is there really any difference between them? Is it just that a d rig aligner and German rig would be more suited to pop ups and blowback for bottom baits?

Thanks Paul

D Rig aligner is basically an alternative to a hinge or ronnie/spinner. Best for pop ups imo.

Blowback/German best with a bottom bait/wafter imo.

Similar in terms of mechanics I guess, although you'll need to be more careful with hookbait size with the wafters than a pop up (imbalance can aid a pop up rig but balance is important for baits on the deck). All will catch fish on the right spot.

2 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Having a rethink on my rigs as I've had so many blanks this year.

Don't overthink it buddy. Blanking is rarely down to rigs imo (assuming those rigs are presented ok).

On 25/10/2021 at 11:11, pablo7uk said:

Hi all,

Having a rethink on my rigs as I've had so many blanks this year. In terms of the hooking potential or mechanics of the above 3 rigs is there really any difference between them? Is it just that a d rig aligner and German rig would be more suited to pop ups and blowback for bottom baits?

Thanks Paul

On 25/10/2021 at 13:46, yonny said:

D Rig aligner is basically an alternative to a hinge or ronnie/spinner. Best for pop ups imo.

Similar in terms of mechanics I guess, although you'll need to be more careful with hookbait size with the wafters than a pop up (imbalance can aid a pop up rig but balance is important for baits on the deck). All will catch fish on the right spot.

Don't overthink it buddy. Blanking is rarely down to rigs imo (assuming those rigs are presented ok).

As Yonny says don't over think what you're doing.

I haven't played with rigs for years, I could put up current rig pics, they would be almost identical to pics taken 20years ago.

My bottom bait and snowman rigs are knotless knotted rigs with a line aligner, or with a sliding ring on the hooks hookshank.

My pop-up rigs are D rigs or with a sliding ring on the hookshank...

Put your rigs in front of the fish, get them feeding on your bait. 

To be honest hookbait presentation is the least of my worries, but where I put my hookbait is important.

The honest answer is I rarely use a Ronnie rig, and have never knowingly used a German rig.

Most rigs are fashion, not needed.

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Exactly that, I've been down the Overthinking road it's not great tbh, 

A rig that presents itself and resets is all you need for me pop ups are now a ronnie rig, wafters would probably be a combi rig or something but I haven't used many wafters this year, 

I've got into the gemini tidy booms lately, I just bought a few different ones to mess about with but they do make a nice neat boom section and that's all I worry about now, that it resets, the rest is down to location and bait, 

Framey gemini do a tidy boom for combi rigs, I haven't really had a play yet but they would be an easy way faff free way to make them just using loops to loop for the soft section 👍

5 minutes ago, framey said:

I can’t trust someone else’s knots .I deffo couldn’t trust someone else’s crimping or fusing 

if I lose a fish it needs to be my fault hahaha

i can probably tie an albrite quicker than I could loop to loop

That's fair enough I can see the logic, but they do seem good, I've put them in some fairly tough situations so far and they haven't let me down yet, when they do I will probably do the same as you lol 😂

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've got into the gemini tidy booms lately, I just bought a few different ones to mess about with but they do make a nice neat boom section and that's all I worry about now, that it resets, the rest is down to location and bait, 

Framey gemini do a tidy boom for combi rigs, I haven't really had a play yet but they would be an easy way faff free way to make them just using loops to loop for the soft section

4 hours ago, framey said:

I’ve gone back to what terry Hearn calls the claw rig or parrot rig nowadays.

Tied as a combi I had my best ever couple of seasons results about 10 years ago 

I just need to go back and add the combi part again…

3 hours ago, framey said:

I can’t trust someone else’s knots .I deffo couldn’t trust someone else’s crimping or fusing 

if I lose a fish it needs to be my fault hahaha

i can probably tie an albrite quicker than I could loop to loop

I trust my own knots and those that my mate Bruce has tied for me. We fished together for a lot of years and have tied rigs for each other numerous times, but I could not convince myself to trust anyone else's.

The combi section I do use on clearer water, no weed to mess it up or stop it laying flat, and 20lb Amnesia in black or clear to Merlin I found very good. I must stress though, after a fish or two on the Amnesia combi-rig, I would check and/or change the rig as the overhand to uni knot (shockleader knot ) on the Amnesia can pull through, even lighter blabbing the Amnesia.

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

There is always a when isn't there 😂

That's why I've got so many bits of end tackle I know I probably won't use again 

You have seen my tackle box...

Plenty of items in there that haven't been used, lead clips, pieces of Cork, fake corn, leads and tail rubbers

My main reasoning for the rethink on the rigs is that I moved up to size 4 crank hooks this year and it's not been a good year. 

On a recent session I dropped back down to some old curve shank size 8s I had with a line aligner on a blow back and also a 360 rig with same hook and I had a fish on each which reignited my confidence.

• 2 months later...
On 25/10/2021 at 23:27, pablo7uk said:

My main reasoning for the rethink on the rigs is that I moved up to size 4 crank hooks this year and it's not been a good year. 

On a recent session I dropped back down to some old curve shank size 8s I had with a line aligner on a blow back and also a 360 rig with same hook and I had a fish on each which reignited my confidence.

A few years ago I tied a rig with a Korda curve hook pinched from Big Daves tackle box, rather than going to get my tackle box from the car. 

Nothing, no fish when I was convinced fish were over the bait. 

I quickly reeled in, grabbed my own rigs tied with Gardner Muggas, recast and had a fish. 

It set me thinking and to test my theory I tried lifting the hook and rig attached to a 3oz with the  point in my thumb. I was able to lift up the whole lot. (there was a pic on Carp.com) 

I honestly think that compared to the Muggas the Korda hooks were blunt, either that or I am thick skinned... 

11 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Well you’re either brave or daft nick! Lol! I’ve had a size 4 korda Kurv embedded in my thumb up to the bend… that didn’t half sting! Mind you, I had a nash fang x size 4 embedded in the side of my finger and of the two, the fang slipped in a lot easier! 😫

Probably daft. 

I did also manage a size 4 barbed Partridge treble in my finger when tying a trace on the bank. I did scream at that especially when I had to remove it at the time.