Marker sticks

callum23

I’m relatively new to carp fishing and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out as I have completely confused myself. I have a 10ft rod for spodding but my actual rods are 11ft would I still wrap up the rods to the same amount of wraps ? And what distance should my marker sticks be? 
Any advice would be much appreciated!

If you want the distance the same for the rods and spod then the spod will need an extra foot adding when wrapping up coz the rods are different lengths.  On deeper lakes you need to have the spod a little shorter to allow for the swing back on the rods.  If the lake is 12 foot deep I subtract a third from the spod, so 4 feet less than the rods.

Distance between the sticks can be anything - 6 feet, 10 feet whatever, but should be consistent each time you go.  I lay the spod rod on the floor and put the sticks in the ground at each end of the rod, 12ft for me.

I rarely use distance sticks, but distance is always the same. 60metres is always 60metres. I usually walk out my rods, but I can use sticks. 

I put my spod/marker rod on the ground, and a bankstick/distance stick at tip and butt, then obviously do the wraps. A 12ft rod is around 3.65metres so I can work out that I need 17 wraps round the sticks. 

The 17 wraps over a consistent length will always be 17wraps.

49 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I rarely use distance sticks, but distance is always the same. 60metres is always 60metres. I usually walk out my rods, but I can use sticks. 

I put my spod/marker rod on the ground, and a bankstick/distance stick at tip and butt, then obviously do the wraps. A 12ft rod is around 3.65metres so I can work out that I need 17 wraps round the sticks. 

The 17 wraps over a consistent length will always be 17wraps.

The perfect example of mixing imperial and metric lol

22 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

If you want the distance the same for the rods and spod then the spod will need an extra foot adding when wrapping up coz the rods are different lengths.  On deeper lakes you need to have the spod a little shorter to allow for the swing back on the rods.  If the lake is 12 foot deep I subtract a third from the spod, so 4 feet less than the rods.

Distance between the sticks can be anything - 6 feet, 10 feet whatever, but should be consistent each time you go.  I lay the spod rod on the floor and put the sticks in the ground at each end of the rod, 12ft for me.

I should add:  most of the time I keep the distance the same, if it's shallow the bait will fall a little behind the rods which is good IMO, only if it's deep I start subtracting a little for the spod.👍

On 14/10/2021 at 20:21, framey said:

What about 3 oz weights lol

pint of maggots sir..

85/90 gram😉

Haven't bought maggots in ages, but last time was a 568ml beer mug and the last of the tub and I had to do it myself as the girl in the shop didn't like maggots😂😁

I did tell her and she discounted the sale as it wasn't 2 full glasses😉