Solid bags in silt?

Uroy

8 hours ago, Uroy said:

Has anyone had much success using solid bags in silt? How do you find the effectiveness of them? And can you add anything to slow the decent in the water such as pva nuggets or not piercing the bag? 

You could add a few floaters in there, That should stop it sinking too fast and allow it to sink slower, 

Or you could use a bag mesh or solid attached to the hook and use foam or some floaters mixed in , then the lead will settle first and the bag should stay off the deck til it melts, this isn't ideal if you need to cast it far but if you don't this should work a treat and allow your rig to settle gently giving you a better chance of being presented on top of the silt 

21 hours ago, Uroy said:

Has anyone had much success using solid bags in silt? How do you find the effectiveness of them? And can you add anything to slow the decent in the water such as pva nuggets or not piercing the bag? 

It actually produced my last 2 fish out of the syndicate. The lead and rig all in the bag fished with bottom baits. 

No need to slow it down. I knew I was on a weed free area, rich in natural food. I had retrieved leads and rigs and pulled in bloodworm just stuck to them. 

I’ll happily fish a pva bag into (the right) silt, the carp are perfectly happy to find food there, I don’t worry too much about the bait being tainted by silt, their sensory receptors will still detect bait in silt, there’s lots of food already buried it it, so it makes sense to place a bait there. If you don’t want it crashing in too fast, then I use a lighter lead and you can use a straw to blow some air in it, tape it up around the straw, then pull it out and lick/stick shut. A few nuggets of foam and/or pop ups will increase buoyancy too. You don’t want them too buoyant as the bag if sinking too slowly may well dissolve before it hits the bottom. Not necessarily a problem in my view as it may give a slightly wider spread of free bait, but maybe not the presentation your after.