larger lead for heavier line?

RJT74

I have just spooled some 18lb ESP synco loaded line to my Ultegra 14000's in readiness for France in a few weeks. ive never used heavier than 15lb and know it will shorten the distance of my cast. 

I normally use a 3 or 3.5oz lead. Will using a 4oz lead help me keep some distance? also will i be able to give a cast full 'beans' with no shock leader?

cheers 

50 minutes ago, RJT74 said:

I have just spooled some 18lb ESP synco loaded line to my Ultegra 14000's in readiness for France in a few weeks. ive never used heavier than 15lb and know it will shorten the distance of my cast. 

I normally use a 3 or 3.5oz lead. Will using a 4oz lead help me keep some distance? also will i be able to give a cast full 'beans' with no shock leader?

cheers 

Probably not to the question of lead size. 

The best lead size is usually around 1/2 ounce in a ratio to the test curve rating. So for a 3lb test curve rod, 3.5oz is about right. 

As for 18lb line at full blast, it should as long as you have a smooth action, and don't overload the rod with a lead going too heavy.