August Catch Reports

yonny

Well with my results being ok recently I managed to sort another session this weekend. I didn't bother baiting the night before as that seems to have been a waste of time recently. Fishing off the barrow seems to be the one at the mo. So as normal the alarm goes off bright and early and down the lake for opening time. I had an inkling of where they'd be and 45 mins standing in the rain getting soaked proved it to be the case. I saw several.

So the rods come out, quick flick about and I find an awesome spot, surrounded by thick weed and not too far out. Easy fishing. Two rods on the spot and 10 spombs, time to relax. I was pondering what to do with the third rod an hour later and I get a take. Feels a bit tenchy but as it gets closer it starts to pull and turns out to be a little stocky mirror, a very, very pretty one.

20210730_074431.thumb.jpg.1e15afb8237d6aabcd4a9aed5b7d8eb2.jpg

So with the pressure off and a blank off the cards I'm thinking this could be a good session. I redo the rod and top up with another few spombs. Get the kettle on and still seeing signs, this is looking decent. Another hour passes and I get a few liners so when the rod goes I'm kinda expecting it. This one fights harder and the weed becomes a problem, in and out of different weed beds but steady pressure sees it in the net. This one is a real minter, on original common with colours that speak for themselves!

20210730_100324.thumb.jpg.2e133f4ac13628184543447d4defa5f0.jpg

So I'm a bit pleased with that one and repeat the process.... rod out, few spombs, cuppa tea. Still seeing signs, not quite as many but hey who cares. A couple of hours passes and I start getting the odd liner again. Two or three shows over the spot and off it goes again. Another weedy battle and I soon have another common in the net. I don't recognise it and tbh I'm not sure if it's an original or a stocky. It's not massive but it's certainly another pretty one.

20210730_112752.thumb.jpg.d99a58af0eaac4c65dd52c456529ed2c.jpg 

So its turning into a red letter day, I've never had more than 3 of the 60 odd carp that live in this water in one day so I'm thinking I'll go for the record lol. I'm actually just getting this fish in the retainer ready for weighing and photos and a dog walker comes past and has a look. He's suitably impressed and so am I when the other rods tears off. I need to get the common back in the water so tell this old boy to hit the other rod, which he does bless him. Of course he doesn't know what I'm on about when I tell him to tighten the clutch so this fish is just taking line but it's better than nothing I guess. The common is finally in the water so I grab the rod off the old boy, thanking him profusely, and proceed to land my fourth carp (!).

This one I do recognise, a fish we call the Otter Dodger. Another repeat (3rd time I've had it bless it) but with each repeat I know I'm getting closer to the one I'm after.

20210730_112855.thumb.jpg.bf4d254fcff1b7fa35fa0132c200aaac.jpg

It's another old original, a special one, and I'm happy.

So long story short I've now run out of bait and although my mate brings some more down in the afternoon the chance is gone. No more sightings and the afternoon is quiet. I'm looking forward to getting back down as it seems I can do no wrong at the moment. Must have stepped in something. The biggun is due so roll on the next sesh.

29 minutes ago, yonny said:

Well with my results being ok recently I managed to sort another session this weekend. I didn't bother baiting the night before as that seems to have been a waste of time recently. Fishing off the barrow seems to be the one at the mo. So as normal the alarm goes off bright and early and down the lake for opening time. I had an inkling of where they'd be and 45 mins standing in the rain getting soaked proved it to be the case. I saw several.

So the rods come out, quick flick about and I find an awesome spot, surrounded by thick weed and not too far out. Easy fishing. Two rods on the spot and 10 spombs, time to relax. I was pondering what to do with the third rod an hour later and I get a take. Feels a bit tenchy but as it gets closer it starts to pull and turns out to be a little stocky mirror, a very, very pretty one.

So with the pressure off and a blank off the cards I'm thinking this could be a good session. I redo the rod and top up with another few spombs. Get the kettle on and still seeing signs, this is looking decent. Another hour passes and I get a few liners so when the rod goes I'm kinda expecting it. This one fights harder and the weed becomes a problem, in and out of different weed beds but steady pressure sees it in the net. This one is a real minter, on original common with colours that speak for themselves!

So I'm a bit pleased with that one and repeat the process.... rod out, few spombs, cuppa tea. Still seeing signs, not quite as many but hey who cares. A couple of hours passes and I start getting the odd liner again. Two or three shows over the spot and off it goes again. Another weedy battle and I soon have another common in the net. I don't recognise it and tbh I'm not sure if it's an original or a stocky. It's not massive but it's certainly another pretty one.

So its turning into a red letter day, I've never had more than 3 of the 60 odd carp that live in this water in one day so I'm thinking I'll go for the record lol. I'm actually just getting this fish in the retainer ready for weighing and photos and a dog walker comes past and has a look. He's suitably impressed and so am I when the other rods tears off. I need to get the common back in the water so tell this old boy to hit the other rod, which he does bless him. Of course he doesn't know what I'm on about when I tell him to tighten the clutch so this fish is just taking line but it's better than nothing I guess. The common is finally in the water so I grab the rod off the old boy, thanking him profusely, and proceed to land my fourth carp (!).

This one I do recognise, a fish we call the Otter Dodger. Another repeat (3rd time I've had it bless it) but with each repeat I know I'm getting closer to the one I'm after.

So long story short I've now run out of bait and although my mate brings some more down in the afternoon the chance is gone. No more sightings and the afternoon is quiet. I'm looking forward to getting back down as it seems I can do no wrong at the moment. Must have stepped in something. The biggun is due so roll on the next sesh.

Excellent wright up and top angling again yonny.🙂👍

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

the biggun won't be far off 👍

Cheers man. The three biggest are all due. Assuming they haven't been ottered (which is possible unfortunately) I must be getting close. But hey I could easily blank for the rest of the year so I'll not count my chickens just yet.

27 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Not a carp, but an awesome looking fish 😆

E030EE2A-FAE4-4B5A-BA53-1550980E5B02.thumb.jpeg.778139f730e68e6b0052b03510a33496.jpeg
Tom pot blenny I believe. Caught it dropshotting off a rock mark 👍 also had some nice wrasse too.

Yes you are correct it is a tom pot blenny, You can't  beat a bit mini species bashing from the rocks.😁👍🎣

33 minutes ago, finchey said:

Yes you are correct it is a tom pot blenny, You can't  beat a bit mini species bashing from the rocks.😁👍🎣

Yeah mate I’m really enjoying it, hopefully going again tomorrow morning 👍👍 0.5 - 7g rod, bends almost in half when hooking the wrasse 😆 just need some more isome worms now 😂

9 hours ago, jh92 said:

Yeah mate I’m really enjoying it, hopefully going again tomorrow morning 👍👍 0.5 - 7g rod, bends almost in half when hooking the wrasse 😆 just need some more isome worms now 😂

Going myself tomorrow but just on my mates farm pond, I wish I was going sitting on a rock mark somewhere catching wrasse. Your so lucky to live by the sea mate, I'm so jealous. 😂😂

6 hours ago, finchey said:

Going myself tomorrow but just on my mates farm pond, I wish I was going sitting on a rock mark somewhere catching wrasse. Your so lucky to live by the sea mate, I'm so jealous. 😂😂

Good luck mate hope it goes well!! Yes not to rub it in but I am spoilt for choice living down here, Torquay etc only a half hour drive 😎😂 

Well I fished my mates farm pond today, I fished with the heavy float rod today much more fun, I caught 7 carp mixture of mirrors and commons the biggest was 9lb. I also had a nice Roach about 3/4 of a pound. I think next time I'm going to have to go with higher b/s line I got snaped a couple of times. ☹

On 02/08/2021 at 08:13, yonny said:

Your defo on a great roll…all the best for your target fish 🤞

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, finchey said:

Nice fish good angling mate.😁👍🎣

I'm on 4 now, nothing massive, 1st en being biggest.... Think they are homed on particle, we switched from stiff booms to braid rigs, instead of Boilies fishing pop up corn just off the deck, after every bite taking it back out (12 wraps) in the boat with a hand full of corn and a hand full of Pellets.... Tried pop ups on Ronnie's and Boilies with no interest... But the change for us both has Brough me 4 fish and mate 2 fish. 

1 minute ago, B B said:

You had a busy session and well deserved   👍

Yeh, was a good session, doing a little tweak, we think brought the shy fish to us... Others on lake caught 1 or 2, but mate had 4, I had 6, both fished identical to each other, bait, wraps, rigs... It paid off.... Got a Carp match on 25th September on there too, so think the same tactics, hope it will pay off. 

Had a couple of fish from the syndicate last night, 14 and 21lb2oz.

Played with the filters for an ephereal ghostly shot, or correctly front flash on the phone is not strong enough to use without additional lighting, which is a pain when water has gotten into the extra light during heavy showers. 

IMG_20210819_224628.jpg

Couldn't get on the lakes I normally on a complex due to being fully booked as it's still summer holidays (and saw plenty of dad's and lads fishing.) Went onto the runs water and over 24 hours managed 10 fish to 15lb. Sometimes it's just nice to realise that your bait and tactics do work and it's a real boost. The fish were also decent enough to give me a good nights sleep as well!