July Catch Reports

So I managed to get back out on Sunday. Conditions were lovely near me, overcast and cooler than we've seen recently, with a nice breeze. Pretty perfect for carp angling. I popped over Saturday night to bait up and was at the gate for opening time (04:15). I held fire with getting the rods out as the area I baited was looking pretty lifeless. After half an hour watching I decided a quick walk was required and it wasn't long before I found a much better looking area. Lots of activity and although most of it was tench I was sure there was the odd carp about.

I started with two spots, applied a little bait, two rods on one and the third on the other. I was seeing the odd bit of fizzing but the only definite carp I saw was down to my left in what is the weediest part of a very weedy water. I popped down for a look and it was proper brutal out there, solid on the deck with rafts of floating weed on top. But my God it looked carpy. I grabbed a rod and chucked it over there and on the third attempt I found a little hole on the deck just next to one of the rafts. This little spot was only a rod length off the bank, about 30 yards to my left. Needless to say one of the rods comes in, baited with a small pop up, and into the hole it goes. Walked down and under-armed a handful of bait right over the PVA foam as it pops ups. Time for a brew.

So the day passes and it gets to early afternoon, I'm still seeing signs but have noticed a couple of carp are way up in the water. There's no way I can fish zigs with the weed about so I'm sitting it out hoping for a bite later. Then out of the blue the rod in the hole absolutely rips off, rod bent to a right angler, alarm and clutch screaming, absolutely awesome stuff that has me jumping out of my seat. The fight is pretty brutal with weed up the line causing problems but with a bit of perseverance I somehow manage to extract this carp. Quite an explosive little episode but it ends with a carp in my net so I'm a very happy chappy. It's a lovely grey mirror, spawned out but looking no less awesome for it.

20210725_160711.thumb.jpg.3a85a3a8fc15b5aeccad41b96d2f28ce.jpg

I get the pics done, sort the rod/rig out and back it goes in the hole. Another handful of bait over the top. It seems the commotion has pushed them out a bit and I spot carp showing off the back off me. As the day goes on they seem to be getting closer and around 7pm it's looking really good again. I see 3 show in quick succession over my middle rod spot which is around 50 yards out so I'm kinda expecting that one to go when I get a bleep on the right hand rod which is fished at a similar range but to a different marker. I walk over to see what's going on and as I reach the rod the line pulls out of the clip and off it goes.

This one proper beats me up and for a moment I wonder if it's one of the real bigguns. Alas it is not, it's one I've had 3 times now, a stocky with a big scale on it's shoulder. Not the prettiest carp in the lake and certainly not the one I would choose to follow me around (as it seems to be doing). That said, the water quality this year does mean it's looking better than previous captures. We get it out to weight it and get a quick snap, I'm glad I did as it's probs the best pic of it I've got (in fact it looks really nice!!). Unfortunately I look like a right miserable sod in the shot so I apologies lads. I can assure you I was happy really😂

20210725_202458.thumb.jpg.d6deee39ee393d58c23a6cb0247d1ff1.jpg

On a side note, while I was playing that fish the rod in the hole ripped off again. It was a lovely big tench and luckily my mate was on hand to land it for me.

So with the fish put back and the rods all over the place with weed everywhere I decided I'd quit while I'm ahead and home for dinner and a glass of wine to celebrate. What a lovely day and I seem to be hitting some form on there so looking forward to getting back down there.

😎

1 hour ago, yonny said:

So I managed to get back out on Sunday. Conditions were lovely near me, overcast and cooler than we've seen recently, with a nice breeze. Pretty perfect for carp angling. I popped over Saturday night to bait up and was at the gate for opening time (04:15). I held fire with getting the rods out as the area I baited was looking pretty lifeless. After half an hour watching I decided a quick walk was required and it wasn't long before I found a much better looking area. Lots of activity and although most of it was tench I was sure there was the odd carp about.

I started with two spots, applied a little bait, two rods on one and the third on the other. I was seeing the odd bit of fizzing but the only definite carp I saw was down to my left in what is the weediest part of a very weedy water. I popped down for a look and it was proper brutal out there, solid on the deck with rafts of floating weed on top. But my God it looked carpy. I grabbed a rod and chucked it over there and on the third attempt I found a little hole on the deck just next to one of the rafts. This little spot was only a rod length off the bank, about 30 yards to my left. Needless to say one of the rods comes in, baited with a small pop up, and into the hole it goes. Walked down and under-armed a handful of bait right over the PVA foam as it pops ups. Time for a brew.

So the day passes and it gets to early afternoon, I'm still seeing signs but have noticed a couple of carp are way up in the water. There's no way I can fish zigs with the weed about so I'm sitting it out hoping for a bite later. Then out of the blue the rod in the hole absolutely rips off, rod bent to a right angler, alarm and clutch screaming, absolutely awesome stuff that has me jumping out of my seat. The fight is pretty brutal with weed up the line causing problems but with a bit of perseverance I somehow manage to extract this carp. Quite an explosive little episode but it ends with a carp in my net so I'm a very happy chappy. It's a lovely grey mirror, spawned out but looking no less awesome for it.

20210725_160711.thumb.jpg.3a85a3a8fc15b5aeccad41b96d2f28ce.jpg

I get the pics done, sort the rod/rig out and back it goes in the hole. Another handful of bait over the top. It seems the commotion has pushed them out a bit and I spot carp showing off the back off me. As the day goes on they seem to be getting closer and around 7pm it's looking really good again. I see 3 show in quick succession over my middle rod spot which is around 50 yards out so I'm kinda expecting that one to go when I get a bleep on the right hand rod which is fished at a similar range but to a different marker. I walk over to see what's going on and as I reach the rod the line pulls out of the clip and off it goes.

This one proper beats me up and for a moment I wonder if it's one of the real bigguns. Alas it is not, it's one I've had 3 times now, a stocky with a big scale on it's shoulder. Not the prettiest carp in the lake and certainly not the one I would choose to follow me around (as it seems to be doing). That said, the water quality this year does mean it's looking better than previous captures. We get it out to weight it and get a quick snap, I'm glad I did as it's probs the best pic of it I've got (in fact it looks really nice!!). Unfortunately I look like a right miserable sod in the shot so I apologies lads. I can assure you I was happy really😂

20210725_202458.thumb.jpg.d6deee39ee393d58c23a6cb0247d1ff1.jpg

On a side note, while I was playing that fish the rod in the hole ripped off again. It was a lovely big tench and luckily my mate was on hand to land it for me.

So with the fish put back and the rods all over the place with weed everywhere I decided I'd quit while I'm ahead and home for dinner and a glass of wine to celebrate. What a lovely day and I seem to be hitting some form on there so looking forward to getting back down there.

😎

Can't argue with that for a days angling, well done, it's a tough decision to leave a baited area alone, but it paid off a treat, good angling 👍

18 minutes ago, yonny said:

It is mate but I've sat on bait in a fishless swim enough times over the years to know that it's a complete waste of time 😂

Me too, I just used to think they will turn up at some point 😂

I'm trying to not set up til I see something nowadays whenever possible so hopefully I will do the same, I've also got a telescopic ladder now so hopefully that will help me go up in the world 😂

28 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Me too, I just used to think they will turn up at some point 😂

I'm trying to not set up til I see something nowadays whenever possible so hopefully I will do the same, I've also got a telescopic ladder now so hopefully that will help me go up in the world 😂

taking a ladder? that's a first have you used ladders before, not being funny but be careful especially on light weight ladders i avoid light ladders always went for the heaviest on the van. light ladders have a nasty habit of spinning when you are at the top of it. worst fall i had was off a wooden double point ladder my fault i leaned out too far and the ladder spun on me i was a bit more rubbery back then so nothing broken.

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

taking a ladder? that's a first have you used ladders before, not being funny but be careful especially on light weight ladders i avoid light ladders always went for the heaviest on the van. light ladders have a nasty habit of spinning when you are at the top of it. worst fall i had was off a wooden double point ladder my fault i leaned out too far and the ladder spun on me i was a bit more rubbery back then so nothing broken.

It's a telescopic one rated above my weight so hopefully it would be OK, 

I will just use it up against trees and make sure it has a firmly planted base should be OK, Its probably safer than me trying to climb trees lol 🤔

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

It's a telescopic one rated above my weight so hopefully it would be OK, 

I will just use it up against trees and make sure it has a firmly planted base should be OK, Its probably safer than me trying to climb trees lol 🤔

Iv used a telescopic ladder in work very handy…maybe a strap wrapped around a branch when your up there so it doesn’t slide 👍

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Brilliant pics @Its-grim-up-north good to see you out and enjoying it with the little man  👍

He is starting to get a serious carp face in a couple of those pics, already going for the look at tail shot nice, great to see 😎 

Thanks mate, I had a chuckle to myself when he started looking down admiring the fish. I think he’s been watching to much eurobanx with me 😀

6 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

He had some pretty little mirrors also 🎣

8982079B-4ECF-4B64-812D-1FF1A708CE4D.jpeg

A5D070BB-6F56-48F0-B96B-90E3D6F18E32.jpeg

That’s one confident lad look how he’s holding the fish 👍 If this site had a prize for best pic of the year it would be in for the running…

Why isn’t there a comp for the best pic of the year ? it could be voted for by the members 🤔

6 minutes ago, B B said:

look how he’s holding the fish

There’s a friend of mine who’s been fishing for 10 years +  his pb is a low 20  and he has never picked up a fish for a pic he’s even tried wearing surgical gloves just can’t bear to touch the fish