July Catch Reports

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get an impromptu session on Saturday after convincing the Mrs it was a good idea on Friday. Popped over Friday night to put some bait in and got on there at first light Saturday morning. Not much happening and by 07:30 I knew I'd need to get on my toes if anything was going to change that. I spotted one a long, long way away so got the binos out and hey presto; I saw another pop its head out. In come the rods, onto the barrow, off we go for an adventure.

Got round there and it was clear there were a few about. I had one chuck with a bear lead to see if the area was clear and unusually it went down with a nice satisfying bump first time. Result. Wrapped 2 rods up and popped them next to each other at just past 40 yards, 4 spombs over the top, sat back for a brew. Half an hour later and something is going on with one of the rods. Up and down the bobbin was going but I couldn't tell if it was a bream on the end or just crazy liners. Five minutes after it started the bobbin stayed up so I hit it. Nothing on the end. Odd.

So I'm re-wrapping this rod up to get it back out and I get a beep on the other rod. I'm kinda convinced I have bream on the spot so I'm cursing them as it absolutely melts off. I drop the rod I'm wrapping and jump on the other one. It's straight into the long stringy weed that grows in this area. It actually does my a favour and once it's freed it comes back very easily with weed over its face. I recognise it as it comes closer. One of the odd'n's, an old pug nosed common with a bunch of ghostie in it that get seen a lot but rarely gets caught. Into the net, happy with that one.

20210711_105425.thumb.jpg.283f708c60e72f208eb43995834090ac.jpg

The carp are still about so I go back to the rod that was being wrapped up and get it back out quickly. Re-tackle rod number 2 and get that out next to it. 4 more spombs and hope that it hasn't scared them away. It hasn't, and the rod goes again within half an hour. This one fights a bit harder until it gets stuck in the weed. I manage to free it and it kites to the right round some reeds. Rod tip down and I manage to drag it back. It's just a stocky but my word the colour of it is immense. Lovely dark shades with a black back, leathery with a massive tail and tiny mouth. I can see how it fought so hard.

20210711_105444.thumb.jpg.eb95b4465ebbcae21d0e62983a3fb935.jpg

The carp seem to back off after that. I sit it out hoping they come back but by late afternoon it's clear they've done the off. I'm not that bothered as it's been a lovely morning and I'm more than happy with the result. Already looking at the diary to see when I can get back down.

Happy days.

18 minutes ago, yonny said:

Managed to get an impromptu session on Saturday after convincing the Mrs it was a good idea on Friday. Popped over Friday night to put some bait in and got on there at first light Saturday morning. Not much happening and by 07:30 I knew I'd need to get on my toes if anything was going to change that. I spotted one a long, long way away so got the binos out and hey presto; I saw another pop its head out. In come the rods, onto the barrow, off we go for an adventure.

Got round there and it was clear there were a few about. I had one chuck with a bear lead to see if the area was clear and unusually it went down with a nice satisfying bump first time. Result. Wrapped 2 rods up and popped them next to each other at just past 40 yards, 4 spombs over the top, sat back for a brew. Half an hour later and something is going on with one of the rods. Up and down the bobbin was going but I couldn't tell if it was a bream on the end or just crazy liners. Five minutes after it started the bobbin stayed up so I hit it. Nothing on the end. Odd.

So I'm re-wrapping this rod up to get it back out and I get a beep on the other rod. I'm kinda convinced I have bream on the spot so I'm cursing them as it absolutely melts off. I drop the rod I'm wrapping and jump on the other one. It's straight into the long stringy weed that grows in this area. It actually does my a favour and once it's freed it comes back very easily with weed over its face. I recognise it as it comes closer. One of the odd'n's, an old pug nosed common with a bunch of ghostie in it that get seen a lot but rarely gets caught. Into the net, happy with that one.

The carp are still about so I go back to the rod that was being wrapped up and get it back out quickly. Re-tackle rod number 2 and get that out next to it. 4 more spombs and hope that it hasn't scared them away. It hasn't, and the rod goes again within half an hour. This one fights a bit harder until it gets stuck in the weed. I manage to free it and it kites to the right round some reeds. Rod tip down and I manage to drag it back. It's just a stocky but my word the colour of it is immense. Lovely dark shades with a black back, leathery with a massive tail and tiny mouth. I can see how it fought so hard.

The carp seem to back off after that. I sit it out hoping they come back but by late afternoon it's clear they've done the off. I'm not that bothered as it's been a lovely morning and I'm more than happy with the result. Already looking at the diary to see when I can get back down.

Happy days.

Stunning fish and top angling skills yonny well done mate. 🙂👍

On 12/07/2021 at 09:08, yonny said:

Agreed mate, great looking carp. The common/ghostie is 2 tone on the other side. Very easy to spot in the water but hardly ever gets hooked. Im not a massive fan of ornamentals but really happy with that. A proper old rare one.

20210711_105408.thumb.jpg.01296741d1a0cb0940c5b59bb779f36d.jpg

99340789_18lb.thumb.JPG.6c1c785037d619f2ce730dcd1b75b00a.thumb.jpeg.07db94d06a86a253f1fcf0d96a14c60e.jpeg

I would be happy with that one it's a stunner,

I was feeding this one in the edge a couple of weeks ago, was nice to see it around again, 

On 12/07/2021 at 08:05, yonny said:

Happy days.

Great pics and write up …lovely colours.. the Mirror got a paddle for a tail 😳

Well it’s happened finally caught it proper old warrior been after it since I saw it gave me the slip once or twice but got it in the end and I’m well happy. Love it when a plan comes together. Had it on a whittled down 12 mil in the early hours sorry for the quality of the pic..just look at the size of his tail 😳

F6456683-27E3-480A-9C2C-F75475458656.jpeg

Edited by B B

5 hours ago, B B said:

Well it’s happened finally caught it proper old warrior been after it since I saw it gave me the slip once or twice but got it in the end and I’m well happy. Love it when a plan comes together. Had it on a whittled down 12 mil in the early hours sorry for the quality of the pic..just look at the size of his tail 😳

F6456683-27E3-480A-9C2C-F75475458656.jpeg

Well in mate you can't beat it when a plan comes together, 😂👍

CB5F5AF7-7337-4692-A6BE-4214CA7B93BA.thumb.jpeg.cff9b85ab0acfe5b24e2d27607f9a9ae.jpeg

1B1E6D8B-693A-44AD-8EC0-40C98285CEF3.thumb.jpeg.aa7f202b670380078214476c781a978a.jpeg
had 3 carp, only a couple lbs each, lost one as well. Dad had a carp as well. We also had probably 50 or so roach, Rudd, gudgeon, perch and skimmers between us. Not to sound like a miserable prick but the pond has gone down hill. It used to be a nice coarse lake, where people would set up with light gear, single rod like a quiver or float rod or pole and bag up on silvers etc, but went there today and it was full of bivvies, all the gear no idea springs to mind, bite alarms ripping off full volume constantly all morning, up to 3 rods out each bagging up on 3 - 4lb carp. I just don’t see the fun in it it seems well overkill and also the state of the carp have got worse since I went there about 10 year ago. Mouths all battered and deformed, we put some carp clinic on the ones we caught but I doubt it will help them lol. We packed up at 10.30 and won’t be going back again lol.