Leadcore splicing help

Any good tips for splicing leadcore? I can do all the steps except pulling the last bit through. I’ve watched several YouTube videos and they just pull the last bit through so easy. Every time I try i break the needle ? Even when trying to gently tease it through. What am I missing? Does anyone know how to do it in an easier way lol. Cheers 

29 minutes ago, Uroy said:

Yeah I’m closing the gate and I’ve tried a few needles including the Korda one. For some reason I struggle with the last bit of pulling the leadcore through itself. I am removing the leadcore as well 

I haven’t spliced leadcore for a years now so I’m racking my brains 😂 when you pull it back through, once it’s started try pushing the leadcore up the needle with one hand/2 fingers while using the other hand to pull the needle and leadcore through the spliced hole if that makes sense lol. My thinking is pushing it up the needle with bunch the leadcore up instead of straightening it out tight. Not sure if wetting the needle before pulling it through might help? 🤔

Edited by jh92

I dont think it usually needs yanking through tbh, I have developed a sort of technique where I almost shake it back through the splice hole I never wet mine either, 

Aren't you meant to splice the leadcore with the leadcore from that section removed? Much the same as a lead free leader 

Edited by elmoputney

55 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I dont think it usually needs yanking through tbh, I have developed a sort of technique where I almost shake it back through the splice hole I never wet mine either, 

Aren't you meant to splice the leadcore with the leadcore from that section removed? Much the same as a lead free leader 

Yeah mate you need to remove the lead, for example say 7 inches, stick needle in where you broke the lead off, go up 3 inches, attach needle to the end of the leader and pull the end back through. So basically there’s no lead in the loop or the few inches where you spliced 👍👍

I used to use a darning needle rather than any tackle brand splicing needle. 

Haven't used lead core for a few years now though. 

Once I had spliced it I would go through the loop with the mainline and then Uni knot and only tighten and bed the knot down when it was properly formed and in place. 

The alternative is a needle knot through but I did find that unless the end of the leadcore had been lighter tagged with needle in place it would unfray and pull free. 

I refuse to use lead core now I don't think it is necessary or safe😉