Line lay on new reels seems different with same reels.

Hey guys.

I have just bought some shimano baitrunners. It seems as if one is spooling up topsided compared to the other with exact same line. 

I read about washers that could be the problem but i didnt seem to have any in the box with the reels just spare spool with them

Any ideas ? The lay if definitely noticeable to the point you cant get as much line on one compared to the other. 

Thanks for any replies

2 hours ago, charb said:

Hey guys.

I have just bought some shimano baitrunners. It seems as if one is spooling up topsided compared to the other with exact same line. 

I read about washers that could be the problem but i didnt seem to have any in the box with the reels just spare spool with them

Any ideas ? The lay if definitely noticeable to the point you cant get as much line on one compared to the other. 

Thanks for any replies

Happens with the dl baitrunners one of mine did it only slight and not really a problem but very annoying,  they will be the DL or ST baitrunnrts you have, could be down to slack assembly in the factory. Friday reels lol.

yeah it was the DL RB , i did use the spare spool for both as im not the most experienced when it comes to spooling up new reels so i felt it might of been the issue but it makes sense, especially what i heard about the shimano br and how they have gone down hill over the years!

So you dont get any washers with these reels is that correct? its just down to manufacturing i guess, i wil try despool and add some backing and respool and see if i can get it to load correctly with the new spool on maybe that helps with the line lay (do the spools have washers in them?)

9 hours ago, charb said:

yeah it was the DL RB , i did use the spare spool for both as im not the most experienced when it comes to spooling up new reels so i felt it might of been the issue but it makes sense, especially what i heard about the shimano br and how they have gone down hill over the years!

So you dont get any washers with these reels is that correct? its just down to manufacturing i guess, i wil try despool and add some backing and respool and see if i can get it to load correctly with the new spool on maybe that helps with the line lay (do the spools have washers in them?)

Definitely no washers, they are supposed to be a complete ready to go reel. 

It is only Big Pits that have washers to change the line lay. 

How you load the line can also change the line lay. If you reel on quickly it tends to bunch up front. Slowly and it goes on more evenly from front to back across the whole of the spool. 

I have DL10000's myself, and for the cost, a spool of Gardner Pro 0.35mm 15lb line is close to perfect for all 3. 

Build quality of materials is not perfect😉

18 hours ago, charb said:

Hey guys.

Thanks for any replies

Send it back mate - if its not right it's not right, you can't be expected to fix a new reel with washers!

Shimano has obviously gone down hill a bit with the quality of their reels.

My new spod reel ceased up on it's first outing, I got it moving again but really not the point, I have the expectation now that it will happen again mid session, didn't think I would ever be bad mouthing Shimmy but a sign of the times., I should have sent that back but didn't - you've reminded me what a fool I've been.