Fluorocarbon breaking strain

Hi all, fairly new to carp scene . I was thinking of switching from mono to fluorocarbon.  But was wondering what best breaking strain to go with . Does anyone use 20lb breaking strain. Obviously its dependant on the fishing situations you are faced with , but as a general rule of thumb advice welcome please.

I have a love/hate relationship with fluoro! Love it's heaviness (twice that of water), love it's invisibility (similar to water) but hate it's stiffness and (lack of) casting and the fact it curls for a pastime and fraps up for no reason.

If you want to use it, you have to learn to treat it different to mono's. Stretch it regularly and it should behave better. Also prone to picking up algae and rubbish so have to clean it by rubbing it through a wet wipe whilst winding onto the spool.

I'm currently back on mono!

49 minutes ago, framey said:

Follow the links in here everyone uses this a bible lol

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/knowledge-base-en/tackle-box-tips/line-fluorocarbons.html

Praise the tackle box line test guide, hallelujah, 

Only once have I bought a line without checking it first fox exocet spod braid and we all know what I think of that 😂 

I have to say I tried fluoro and went back to mono, just find I have no issues, I tend to stick with Gardner  hydrotuff, it's so tough it actually got sent to prison,  but it broke out by cutting through the bars with its superb abrasion resistance 👍👌

4 hours ago, Gilesc said:

Hi all, fairly new to carp scene . I was thinking of switching from mono to fluorocarbon.  But was wondering what best breaking strain to go with . Does anyone use 20lb breaking strain. Obviously its dependant on the fishing situations you are faced with , but as a general rule of thumb advice welcome please.

Fluorocarbon and I have a love/hate relationship. 

It does not cast as well as mono, tending to be stiffer, more wiry and does not seem to have the same abrasion resistance as mono. 

In water it seems to disappear, but fished extremely tight, can still cast a shadow on the lakebed. It is brilliant for slack line fishing, or where the final lay is over weed. 

The point about picking up debris is very true, more than mono for some reason, nulling the invisibility. 

me and fuolro have a love relationship especially tiger line if you only have small reels to fill the tiger line is nearly as good as a nylon line for casting and behaves really well it's just not suited to coloured water or water with floating sediment. heavy weed clear water short range casting suits fluorocarbon best.