Finding carp in a 2 ft beck?!?!

charb

Hey guys. 

I live in a place where we have what we call the dock. Its a mix of freshwater and salt. It used to hold trout but they didnt survive well in the water, or at least they all were caught and ate. 

Anyways this water has a outflow into what was an old fishery, small little water that connects to the docks and it also connects to a "beck"

This beck is around 2 foot in depth. 

Amazingly we used to get carp coming out of the fishery into this beck, 20 years ago i went down there once and this beck had aload of carp in there. The beck was that shallow you could see them. The flow goes under bridges. And very shallow water.

My maye was on his bike yesterday when he got to the part where the "beck" joins the old fishery and to his suprise there was 20 carp or so all swimming in this shallow beck.

Does anyone have any theory as to why they are moving up this stream? 

Here are some pics you can clearly see the fish in there 

Whats the reason behind them moving into this shallow water? Im gonna check out a part of the stream lower down where it doesnt have a no fishing sign today. Some big carp in that "dock"

Could they be spawning? Or anything else that makes them come into this really shallow water ?

IMG-20210622-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0009.jpg

7 minutes ago, charb said:

Hey guys. 

I live in a place where we have what we call the dock. Its a mix of freshwater and salt. It used to hold trout but they didnt survive well in the water, or at least they all were caught and ate. 

Anyways this water has a outflow into what was an old fishery, small little water that connects to the docks and it also connects to a "beck"

Amazingly we used to get carp coming out of the fishery into this beck, 20 years ago i went down there once and this beck had aload of carp in there. The beck was that shallow you could see them. The flow goes under bridges. And very shallow water.

My maye was on his bike yesterday when he got to the part where the "beck" joins the old fishery and to his suprise there was 20 carp or so all swimming in this shallow beck.

Whats the reason behind them moving into this shallow water? Im gonna check out a part of the stream lower down where it doesnt have a no fishing sign today. Some big carp in that "dock"

Could they be spawning? Or anything else that makes them come into this really shallow water ?

IMG-20210622-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0009.jpg

I cant edit but forgot to add the carp reside in the "dock" which is brackish water.

My maye=mate.

Is there a reason they are doing this? Anyone have a good theory as to why they go into this shallow water in the summer months mainly?

Carp can only put up with or live in brackish or salt water for a short period, they need to flush out the additional salt from their system, and the Freshwater inlet will allow them to do that. Add in the spawning in the stream as well. 

Although there are carp and other coarse fish in the Baltic, there are also Freshwater inlets, streams and rivers, which they also use for the same reasons. 

5 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Carp want to mix genes, escape to waters new.  When a lake is about to flood the fish are usually lining up ready to escape.  So inquisitive that they can end up dying in drainage ditches etc

A mate of mine regularly goes to visit family in Hungary. A lake alongside the river that had been drained and emptied specifically to 'harvest' a food source, carp were naturally restocked from the river by the river rising just 1metre. 

He was amazed that 10kilo fish had reappeared within a year. 

So the brackish water they usually live in now they were spawning a few weeks ago.

Went yesterday and there were a shoal still there. Threw a few floating pellets in and then in about 2 minutes there were 30 plus there! All averaging double figure fish. They loved them krill floating pellets.

Came back again today. Some I'm a little fairy has threw a kids bike where they were. But they were still there today! 

I threw a loaf of bread in and they slurped it all up in a matter of minutes.

It seems like they are staying under or around the bridge in which the river passes under the road. 

Last time i seen this it were a good 15 years ago. Would they do this every year? Is a seasonal thing cause i have only seen it in the summer aswell

• 8 months later...
On 23/06/2021 at 06:12, charb said:

Hey guys. 

IMG-20210622-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20210622-WA0009.jpg

Is this cavendish dock ??

If so then the fish always go there in the summer to get the best of the heat from the son as  I know that but there is a absolute son trap don’t think there not been a day in summer where I’ve gone to the dock and seen them. Is the fishery still open a family members friend used to own back a few years and I know there was big carps in there too but never heard of it being reopened