Getting into an overgrown pond?

charb

Hey guys.

I have this small "pond" near my house. 

It was known as the private pond. Back when i fished it there were shoals of perch,rudd and roach and also a few nice size carp that looked into good double figures.

The "pond" itsself is near a water works and gas terminal.

Over the years the perch became less and less until a few years ago when i noticed no signs of them. Any idea what may have happened to them? I did mention its close to a water works. Could this be a possible reason?

Anyways this pond is that overgrown with nettles ect its going to be a pain to get in. Any ideas on what to take clothes wise or tools to help me get through the overgrow? Some sheers? Waders?

I just have this feeling them carp are still in there. Or at least i want to find out and see these beautiful fish again.

Alot of fish i think died but i would like to know if those carp are still there. 15 years ago they were mid doubles so i imagine they are even bigger now but so tough to catch. A few mates who had caught these carp said zigs worked great.

Any tips/ advice appreciated

Chest waders, broom handle and a small foldable saw. I had to get through about 30ft of 6ft high stingers to access a stretch of river the other week. I plowed through it whacking the nettles down with the broom handle and used the saw to remove small branches.

Chest waders help protect from nettles and bugs 👍😂

just don’t make your entrance too obvious because people will check it out. Same with river swims once they see the opening they want to fish it lol.

Edited by jh92

3 hours ago, charb said:

Hey guys.

I have this small "pond" near my house. 

It was known as the private pond. Back when i fished it there were shoals of perch,rudd and roach and also a few nice size carp that looked into good double figures.

The "pond" itsself is near a water works and gas terminal.

Over the years the perch became less and less until a few years ago when i noticed no signs of them. Any idea what may have happened to them? I did mention its close to a water works. Could this be a possible reason?

Anyways this pond is that overgrown with nettles ect its going to be a pain to get in. Any ideas on what to take clothes wise or tools to help me get through the overgrow? Some sheers? Waders?

I just have this feeling them carp are still in there. Or at least i want to find out and see these beautiful fish again.

Alot of fish i think died but i would like to know if those carp are still there. 15 years ago they were mid doubles so i imagine they are even bigger now but so tough to catch. A few mates who had caught these carp said zigs worked great.

Any tips/ advice appreciated

not a good sign if the perch have disappeared they can live is real harsh conditions it may be the pond did not have enough food in the water or it could be a few carp eating all the silver fish spawn that reduced the perch numbers.