rolling rounds and results

So the uncooked  pop up seems to be performing nicely  this pick shows the paste dissolving slowly and. I will cook them before use this was a test to see if the inner core would remain bouyent wrapped in wet paste well test a cooked one on the rig, the reason for the cork  dust mix is so I can use a baiting needle.

20210625_161638.jpg

just done some rig tests the wafters are the best i have ever seen they really are standing on the hair without lifting anything else, the pop ups can very nearly lift a ronnie so a bit of rig foam will see it right i was expecting it i made the pop ups and wrapped a bit of paste around them.

should be out tomorrow but it means a real early start, ain't got to a lake this early since pine pool.

like the way that video looks especially now it's hd full 1080p think it captures the fish nice might do a vid of more night captures, still not sure which of the three it is I'll be back this week so have a look when I get there.

got my home made hook baits and a six kilo mix off manila pellet corn oats and coconut milk with a little touch of the tm1 blended into the milk and a touch of the cream sweetener. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just mixed up a kilo of JB's bio shellfish, with plum and shrimp, tell ya johns base mixes really are lively got a malt chocolate note coming off the raw mix that will change after cooked and dry. 

that shrimp he does is good  think that's where the maltiness is coming from. 

not sure if there is robin red in the mix i don't think there is? but that really is a red fishmeal paste and end bait, They are similar to mainlines link in scent slightly? looking forward to giving them a whirl next week, i got no hardner for hook baits so i will just put a dozen aside and hard boil them for longer, wrap some paste before casting. The GLM is real stand out same for the red krill, washing up the bowl you should of seen how soluble the raw mix was, the pink/red colour was real strong. followed the guides as recommended for the plum and shrimp. serve 'em fresh out the fridge.

Well that the full bag rolled nice and easy to be fair didn't take long to knock a kilo of fresh bait up, if i had a gun and better rolling table a kilo would be no problem on a week night.  deffo the way forward for peg campers.  any base mix rolled at home and fished ASAP has to be a better bait that is retail?

2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Well that the full bag rolled nice and easy to be fair didn't take long to knock a kilo of fresh bait up, if i had a gun and better rolling table a kilo would be no problem on a week night.  deffo the way forward for peg campers.  any base mix rolled at home and fished ASAP has to be a better bait that is 

I've baited up with bait that is still warm after rolling it. As you say, you don't get any fresher than that. 

As for a gun and better rolling table it will make your bait making so easy. When I rolled bait I could do 60 eggs no problem.  In the end I used to crack the eggs into a Bowl and blend all the flavours etc into it then store in the fridge over night then mix, roll and boil the following evening. I had a little jug that I'd scoop the liquid up in, pour into my bowl and that needed exactly 3 scoops of powder and that made enough paste to fill the gun. I had the big tables, an air gun, burco boiler and you can knock up a lot of bait in a short time. I reckon 120 eggs would have been possible if I'd had wanted to, with another pair of hands then definitely possible.  

Apostrophe by Frank Zappa. What do I win? 

A small tip for testing your baits in water. Try to use river/lake/rain water instead of tap water, I've seen some big differences when comparing (e.g. they break down slower in tap water).

Edited by Jone5y

On 09/05/2022 at 22:28, Jone5y said:

Apostrophe by Frank Zappa. What do I win? 

A small tip for testing your baits in water. Try to use river/lake/rain water instead of tap water, I've seen some big differences when comparing (e.g. they break down slower in tap water).

Zircon encrusted tweezers.

didn't catch on the bio fish but it is a very good bait plenty of texture to it, it would be a lot more difficult to gun out than the milk and honey mix, it's why JB recommends one of his milk mixes for hand rolling. 

1 ml of plum per five eggs was a mellow plum flavour to the finished bait really is strong stuff.  i didn't realise the spicy indian base mix was bio shellfish with added indian curry style spices, what i want to do is move away from what is similar to the main baits being used and trying something real nice, i doubt they see much in the way of cheese so JB's taste mix could be a good can't resist bait on just the one rod, a 1 kilo base mix would do two, three day sessions for one rod. trying to fish multiple rods on boilies is getting silly money.  

• 8 months later...

OK I'm getting there all main tools are in place just need a steamer that will do near a kilo in one go even got a bait freezer so I can roll upwards of 50 kilo and store, gumtree for freezers.

Found a few ingredients I would like to use they are from AAbaits, what I'm thinking is no fish ingredients at all other than GLM.

Beef liver and peanut meal with a yeast blend CLO bird food and binding flours, it's the binding mix I need a bit of help with, I would like to get away with a 100 grams of soya and 100 grams of maze using the 300 CLO to add to the binding flour mix which should make up a nice open mix to take the other ingredients any thoughts on binding flours or additives to aid rolling would be very helpful.

8 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

OK I'm getting there all main tools are in place just need a steamer that will do near a kilo in one go even got a bait freezer so I can roll upwards of 50 kilo and store, gumtree for freezers.

Found a few ingredients I would like to use they are from AAbaits, what I'm thinking is no fish ingredients at all other than GLM.

Beef liver and peanut meal with a yeast blend CLO bird food and binding flours, it's the binding mix I need a bit of help with, I would like to get away with a 100 grams of soya and 100 grams of maze using the 300 CLO to add to the binding flour mix which should make up a nice open mix to take the other ingredients any thoughts on binding flours or additives to aid rolling would be very helpful.

When rolling my own baits I've only ever used wpc (whey protein concentrate) as my main binder binder. 

11 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

CLO should be a good binder in its own right.

I have c&p'd it's properties:

Known for its excellent digestibility, binding and hardening properties, nutritional profile and adds texture / crunch to any boilie mix.  It aids in the digestion of proteins due to its starch content, therefore becoming a valuable food source. Also great for winter use.

This ingredient becomes soft in the dough, which aids the binding and rolling properties. The rough texture of the finished bait aids in the leakage of all attractors, making the bait very attractive.