rolling rounds and results

just a little thread to bump up with updates on rolling my own baits as I have the time it seems silly not to.

I will be using a few different ready mix packs mainly from john baker and haith's  should be rolling by Tuesday my wife of many years knows all about carp baits so I have been moved into the outdoor cupboard for my bait making, I did say it's not a nasty one but nope no such thing as a nice bait smell just hope next door don't mind their living room is on the other side of that wall. 

turn this mess into a bait room.

20210620_144330[1].jpg

20210620_151715[1].jpg

20210620_153107[1].jpg

My ex used to find the tiniest little bit if I ever had a bait rolling session in the kitchen, and the smell of Trigga, Liver Elite, GLM powder and Sweet Cajouser actually woke her up one night. 

No such thing as a decent bait smell, even cinnamon and peach or eucalyptus and cherry smells overly strong and a bit off when boiling. 

Hemp has always been done outside of the house, the only good use of a Coleman Peak1 stove... 

How much you planning on making at a time? I’m considering rolling again but hate needing the base mix into a dough.

ive been looking into some dough mixers like a Hobart but they are quite pricey even second hand. Was thinking about getting a clean/new drum for a cement mixer and trying that 😂😂

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

How much you planning on making at a time? I’m considering rolling again but hate needing the base mix into a dough.

ive been looking into some dough mixers like a Hobart but they are quite pricey even second hand. Was thinking about getting a clean/new drum for a cement mixer and trying that 😂😂

not sure as of yet but if i have a problem i will use a power drill and fork like the match anglers do i use a wooden spoon in a drill for another job that pops up every now and then, works a treat

29 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

not sure as of yet but if i have a problem i will use a power drill and fork like the match anglers do i use a wooden spoon in a drill for another job that pops up every now and then, works a treat

That’s a good idea mate 👍👍 how much base mix could you mix up at a time with that do you reckon?

Edited by jh92

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

My ex used to find the tiniest little bit if I ever had a bait rolling session in the kitchen, and the smell of Trigga, Liver Elite, GLM powder and Sweet Cajouser actually woke her up one night. 

No such thing as a decent bait smell, even cinnamon and peach or eucalyptus and cherry smells overly strong and a bit off when boiling. 

Hemp has always been done outside of the house, the only good use of a Coleman Peak1 stove... 

I’ve got a really understanding mrs but she said if ever I mix an roll my crab steamies in the house again that’s it lol  she said she could smell them for weeks 😂😂 nose blind me lol 

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

That’s a good idea mate 👍👍 how much base mix could you mix up at a time with that do you reckon?

I do a lot of baking mixing a kilo base mix by hand is not a problem so doubt I will use the drill, you could make a hook with a old tent peg the drill will hold that, I use it for mixing paints with a spoon.  I have a good mixer with with hook in the kitchen but it will be less hassle to do it by hand, if I was knocking up ten kilo of paste in one go I would use a Hobart or similar not needed for this.

it more about small batch outrageously high quality ingredients following well proven recipes at some point I will be getting some flours' in to make my own 50/50 mix as a base for more high end ingredients, look into chick pea and red lentil flour if such things would work similar to soya and maize flour some high end almond flour that sort of thing just so im sure that no matter what else i'm doing my bait is better than anything else I could of used.  

just not sure which fish meal base mix to use essential baits k5 looks like the best krill mix you can get in a pack?

7 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I do a lot of baking mixing a kilo base mix by hand is not a problem so doubt I will use the drill, you could make a hook with a old tent peg the drill will hold that, I use it for mixing paints with a spoon.  I have a good mixer with with hook in the kitchen but it will be less hassle to do it by hand, if I was knocking up ten kilo of paste in one go I would use a Hobart or similar not needed for this.

it more about small batch outrageously high quality ingredients following well proven recipes at some point I will be getting some flours' in to make my own 50/50 mix as a base for more high end ingredients, look into chick pea and red lentil flour if such things would work similar to soya and maize flour some high end almond flour that sort of thing just so im sure that no matter what else i'm doing my bait is better than anything else I could of used.  

just not sure which fish meal base mix to use essential baits k5 looks like the best krill mix you can get in a pack?

Nice mate, I guess want to be doing 5kg batches at a time and freeze. I’ve been watching a few videos last night, watched some of John bakers stuff, very knowledgeable bloke 👍

Then I watched some other guy who was showing his set ups from doing a small batch to stepping it up to a bigger batch etc. He suggested using something like a paddle mixer that the plasterers use.

Here’s the video I found it pretty useful 

Then the John baker video if you’re interested 👍

20 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

The hook from an old tent peg does not work, it comes loose (I have a Bosch drill) or bends.

Get a paddle mixer/paint stirrer, that works a treat for around 20 eggs of liquids. 

I have also used a plasterers paddle mixer for larger amounts, about 5litres of eggs and liquids. 

bit of an odd question but what's the maximum time you could put a fresh made paste log into the fridge and still roll it on a table roller, some pastries and dough's can be left overnight in the fridge before working, would a base mix become too stiff for rolling if left overnight in the fridge? 

bit of an odd question but what's the maximum time you could put a fresh made paste log into the fridge and still roll it on a table roller, some pastries and dough's can be left overnight in the fridge before working, would a base mix become too stiff for rolling if left overnight in the fridge? 

It purely depends on the mix mate, i couldnt leave my current mix in the fridge overnight it would be to stiff to gun out.  TBH i just leave for an hour tops if im just doing 6 eggs or just roll it straighty away.

last of my minimalist kit has arrived the rolling table is better quality plastic than i thought, thought it would be brittle. the cork dust is really fine so should roll ok and that cream from jb is divine i know it's a mix of milks and creams but it really is nice just need to nip and get a chip basket and i will do the kilo mix in two batches today and hook baits tomorrow.  do a video to see just how it is for a novice to roll their own baits, probably be talking to myself. 

so far so good pleased with the results i have cooked half the mix the rest i will do tomorrow, as the finished bait is drying the scent is changing becoming more complex strangely there is a hint of fizz to the smell when you get close to a pile the sent really does ping out from the bait it's like a gentle fizz?

will do the other half of this mix should be ok as i'm making sausages by hand might make it easier to use the rolling table.

a good caulking gun is a must something i will look into.   

On 21/06/2021 at 20:29, Carpbell_ll said:

Half hour  it goes really stiff if left over night 

19 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

so far so good pleased with the results i have cooked half the mix the rest i will do tomorrow, as the finished bait is drying the scent is changing becoming more complex strangely there is a hint of fizz to the smell when you get close to a pile the sent really does ping out from the bait it's like a gentle fizz?

will do the other half of this mix should be ok as i'm making sausages by hand might make it easier to use the rolling table.

a good caulking gun is a must something i will look into.   

Something I recently learnt from something I've watched or seen is when using a sausage gun to make sausages, it is better to make the sausages a couple of mm smaller than the table size this apparently makes them roll better as sometimes they swell a little, 

sounds about right rolling the sausage straight away worked best. the fourteen mm sausage table is not really practical for any more than a single bag mix a gun would be a lot faster,.

last of the paste rolled today getting better round shapes, should be golden for the hook baits.

end results and amounts

2 hours ago, hutch said:

They look good mate, have they held there firmness ? , just remember if they have gone soft (which isnt a bad thing) and your water has a population of silvers they will nibble them down.  Easily fixed by making a one egg batch of hardened hookbaits.

just doing hook baits, for pop ups it would of been better to use cork balls, the dust is a real struggle to get the volume right, what i did was make my own cork ball by mixing the dust and base mix to make a very buoyant pop up that will take a coat of hook bait paste to finish the pop up,