Marker rod for feature finding

When looking to use a marker rod to find features what’s the ideal test curve of rod? My spod rod feels a bit stiff when dragging a lead and my standard carp rods feel a bit soft if you get me. The lake I’m leading around on is very weedy and I’m struggling to find the holes in the weed. I’m using braid and a 2oz lead. 

12 minutes ago, Uroy said:

When looking to use a marker rod to find features what’s the ideal test curve of rod? My spod rod feels a bit stiff when dragging a lead and my standard carp rods feel a bit soft if you get me. The lake I’m leading around on is very weedy and I’m struggling to find the holes in the weed. I’m using braid and a 2oz lead. 

Sometimes when you can't find a hole in the  weed is to make one, or fish on top of the weed if it is silk weed, get some vicious takes on a chod rig fished up in the silk weed. 

Sonik do a marker/spod combo rod😉

To be honest my original Centuty marker rod was a 2.75lb test curve, and lasted for years until I felt it had softened a bit, and I lost feeling with braid. 

I picked up a Vader spod/marker rod to play around with, but for the past year or so I have been out in the chesties, so haven't used it, leaving a pole marker in until I have taken my bait out by hand. 

Sometimes you simply won't be able to get a drop if the weed is that bad, so it has been used pretty much just as a tool to take away some of the 'loose' weed. 

• 1 month later...

Try using a heavier lead first, before looking at another rod. You should find you get a better drop and more feel with a heavy lead. I use a 4 or 5oz lead on my spod rod (4.5lb tc) with braid. Works well. In a really weedy lake I'd stay well away from grappler leads. I find the "bumpy" ones work best. With that size lead make sure you use a decent stall too.

4 minutes ago, dalej2014 said:

You should find you get a better drop and more feel with a heavy lead.

Just be careful as a heavier lead can drop right through any silt giving you a false belief that the spot is cleaner than it is.

On 29/05/2021 at 08:43, Uroy said:

My spod rod feels a bit stiff when dragging a lead

Imo a spod rod is perfect as a marker. You want it nice and stiff as it gives good feedback. Also means you can mark up at range.

Very true. With a bit of practise you'll begin to feel the difference in various bottoms though. Gravel is very "tappy". Clay is hard but smooth. Sand/silt and silk week can be tricky. easier to feel with your fingers on the line, than reeling in. Weed you'll find stops you dead if heavy. etc. etc.

I also smell the lead (at need), once retrieved - sounds and looks weird, no doubt, but you can smell silt on the lead! Fine "hair" weed/algae will usually cling to it. Sand will come out clear.

There are some decent videos on Youtube,, but to be honest it's like riding a bike. Someone can tell you how to do it, but you won't know how to, until you've done it yourself. I second the comment re. a stiffer rod. It gives you much more feel when leading about.

If you can, practise in the margins or in a gin clear water. It takes a while to get the hang of, but is absolutely worth the time and effort. Your leading rod will soon become your "eyes" on the lake bed. Good luck!