Drones

commonly

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a drone partly for work (aerial view of the property obviously) & from the recent videos I've seen, it appears to be a handy bit of kit for locating fish. 

Now I know this will get some peoples nose out of joint(& apologies) , but as others know and appreciate, my time on the bank is limited and precious, so I'd like to find the needle in the haystack as it were. On the near 300 acre reservoir I'm on, I often feel that my limited time and swim choice is not best. 

So the minefield im unsure of is what drone to get? 

They start at £100 & literally the sky is the limit! 

Never flown one before & worry that I may stack several hundred quids worth of kit flying around the reservoir! 

Any advice or experiences welcome 

think the deeper would be better the deeper start looks good for fish finding and basic bottom structure the next models up do a lot more, really thinking of getting one may as well all the lakes i fish are on the site mapped out just about everyone has one on the lakes so sod it i'm getting one, one day lol. 

Not that I am an experienced drone pilot but do own a Mini 2 for personal use.  You need to look at the flight restrcitions the rules change once you get over 249g (Class 0), you will need an operator license (£9 a year) and a flighers license (free), other things that come into play would be things like other anglers on the lake at the time (in some curcumstances you would need there permission before flying), is the lake on public or private land etc.. , if the pit is hit had by wind is another thing as we fish in much stronger conidtions than would be classed as acceptable to fly in, the list could go on.

With regards to the drone one with a decent camera and probably some form of polarizing filters which help take the glare off the water would help.

Thanks. 

I've been looking at the mini 2. Is it worth getting the fly more package?

Noted about licence etc. The mini is under 250g but need it for commercial use. 

The venue is private and no ban as to my knowledge, I'll try to stay under the radar as it were👍

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Thanks. 

I've been looking at the mini 2. Is it worth getting the fly more package?

Noted about licence etc. The mini is under 250g but need it for commercial use. 

The venue is private and no ban as to my knowledge, I'll try to stay under the radar as it were👍

No probs

Yes the fly more combo is worth the extra, just having the spare batteries etc....

As of Jan you still need to license the mini 2 due to the quality of the camera.  You might also need insurance for commercial use.

With the venue being on private land you would still need some form of permission be that via the club or land owner

Like Carpbell, I think a Deeper will give you far more information about your lake than a drone will.

If you must use a drone you will need clear water, flat calm conditions and possibly a polaroid filter.

If you are worried about landing on water which will definitely write off your drone, you could add some simple floats. I made a very amateur video of what I use on my ageing Spark when over a lake . 

Interesting carpepacheur, thanks. 

The one I'm looking at has a return to home feature, which I'm hoping will avoid the need to land on water. The waves on the reservoir would soon drown the electrics, I'm sure. 

The water is crystal clear, so I am hoping that I will be able to locate my quarry. Good point about lenses 

16 hours ago, commonly said:

, I'll try to stay under the radar as it were👍

That's exactly what I do. I have been taking aerial photos for 15 years now. I started with a camera on a kite! Never had a test or license. It is just a case of being sensible. There aren't many drone police around (but there is always a "jobsworth" lurking).  If I am going to have any people in my shots, I speak to them first and get their email address and promise to send them aerial photos of what they are doing. I have only ever had positive responses. All my neighbours have framed aerial photos of their house and there is even one of the town hall hanging behind the mayors  desk (even though it is illegal to take shots within 50 metres of the place).

11 minutes ago, commonly said:

The waves on the reservoir would soon drown the electrics,

If you have waves you will be unlikely to see much below the surface.

13 minutes ago, commonly said:

The one I'm looking at has a return to home feature, which I'm hoping will avoid the need to land on water.

Be careful with the return to home feature. The fail safe setting is when you hit "return to home", the drone goes up 30 metres (to avoid obstructions on return) , returns to just above the take off position, then descends. If you have launched from the bank from under trees it could cause a problem. You can change the settings. Practise practise practise before you go anywhere near water. Then, once you get out over the lake, it is squeaky bum time. However, apart from a one toner, it is about the most fun you can have outside.

Hours of fun and bitten fingernails ahead. Have fun. Could I suggest you take a look at Litchi software. It allows you to pre-program a route and take photos exactly where you want to. (although I have not kept up with DJI developments) It could be useful for your roofing excersise where you do not want to miss a shot. 

One other hopefully helpful suggestion - take a spotter with you especially early days. There's so much info coming at you it is easy to lose track of the drone. 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

I'm learning with the mini 2, it's an amazing piece of technology. 

Changes the perspective of things in an instant. 

I do see how in the wrong hands invasion of privacy could be an issue. 

The camera is no different to normal camera , without zoom .

So 50 yds away its difficult to recognise a face ,no different if you were to photograph someone at 50 yds 

I apologise if I have posted some of this on here before but I thought you might like to see a little piece of recent aerial history.

This is my very first aerial photo of one of the lake I fish.

365341973_lacdefabasA4.jpg.aef5e6c9983c71279dcdf436546bc7d9.jpg

The shot was taken by a camera dangling below a kite. The camera was taking pictures by intervalometer and the direction was adjusted by radio control. To give an Idea of how this was done take a look at this (rather poor quality) you tube clip.

I then spent a small fortune on one of the very first drones called a Mikrokopter. This had no GPS or stabilisation. You had to actually fly it by increasing and decreasing the speed of each motor.  It was almost impossible to do that AND pay attention to what you were filming. Here is a clip of my very first video taken from my back yard.

Eventually I bought a DJI Spark which I still use today although I would love to buy a new Mavic Mini 2. Even so it discovered my current favourite fishing spot which I keep entirely to myself. This last YouTube clip shows just how useful a drone can be.

16 hours ago, commonly said:

Wow, incredible the evolution. 

Nice pad, something looks up with your pond water though. I'm not so sure the carp will like all that chlorine!! 

You seem to be very good at tinkering and editing, hat off to you

That nice pad was 350 years old and needed a lot of work. Much smaller modern place now with definitely NO swimming pool to keep looking after. 🙂

Yes "tinker" is a good expression for me. I get a lot of stick and derision at some of my ideas but nevertheless have still appeared on Tomorrow's World and the Californian equivalent.

I have posted my idea for the perfect carp rig with a boilie on the main line and no hair and been told a million reasons why it won't work. Meanwhile I continue to hit every bite. C'est la vie.

1283935335_daretobedifferentlowres.jpg.82fa27625012de3123d0dec9e6e6797b.jpg

As luck would have it iv been painting a property over looking my syndicate water and the view you get from above the water is a eye opener 5 floors up. Iv seen Grebes and Cormorants diving in the clear water,Ducks and the best of all Carp... looks like they be spawning soon tho. It’s all indoor decorating  but iv spent more time on the balcony looking than inside painting.....

B3CEE709-4701-41E5-AD75-1C06729E08F3.jpeg