Terminal Tackle

On 21/05/2021 at 19:35, NeilH2320 said:

Hi all,

I started up carp fishing again after a few years away. When I looked online to view some end tackle I felt a bit lost, as it seems to be over complicated now. 
Luckily I found some bits I recognised and stuck with what I know. 
Drop off heli-rigs? What’s that all about? 🤦‍♂️

Fish safety 

8 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Fish safety 

On 21/05/2021 at 19:35, NeilH2320 said:

Hi all,

I started up carp fishing again after a few years away. When I looked online to view some end tackle I felt a bit lost, as it seems to be over complicated now. 
Luckily I found some bits I recognised and stuck with what I know. 
Drop off heli-rigs? What’s that all about? 🤦‍♂️

To be honest I don't think that drop off heli-rigs do constitute fish safety. 

You need the lead on the end of the line for the rig to be able to be ejected. 

If the lead drops off, the leader, or broken mainline can or even will, fold either side of the rig preventing it being ejected. This then becomes a potential tether if a fish swims around a snag, be it a branch or lily stem/root. This broken line wrapped around a snag tethers it. 

Underwater 15lb line may take 60lb of pressure to break it!

If that were a leader of 20-45lb, multiply by 4 to get how much pressure in pounds it would take to break it, it is likely that the fish would not be able to break it, mouth damage as it rips the hook out or tethering is the likely end result. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If the lead drops off, the leader, or broken mainline can or even will, fold either side of the rig preventing it being ejected. This then becomes a potential tether if a fish swims around a snag, be it a branch or lily stem/root. This broken line wrapped around a snag tethers it. 

If that were a leader of 20-45lb, multiply by 4 to get how much pressure in pounds it would take to break it, it is likely that the fish would not be able to break it, mouth damage as it rips the hook out or tethering is the likely end result. 

If I found the need to drop the lead for some reason 

I would seriously have to think about using a barbless hook just in case of anything happening and definitely not a curve hook 

Edited by framey

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I’d have to agree with you. I’ve used Chod rigs in the past. But, I feel better using a lead clip set up with a soft boom and a Chod section on the end. I think it’s called the flick rig now?