How to hit that big cast?

pablo7uk

On 15/05/2021 at 22:58, pablo7uk said:

what can I do to make this easier without major changes to rods, line and reels?

Read this:

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/learn-how-to-cast-150yds-with-terry-edmonds

Reducing line diameter and matching lead size to the rod will help but technique is the big one. I agree with carpepecheur that the pendulum cast is no more dangerous than any big cast, but tbh finding the room to use the pendulum in most swims in the UK is just not possible. A well timed overhead cast with good technique will go miles but getting that right is not as easy as it sounds.

On 17/05/2021 at 08:45, ouchthathurt said:

it’s all down to technique and practice. 

This 👆👆

I'd recommend going on a tutorial with either Terry Edmonds or Mark Hutchinson. Not a super cheap day out but the skills/knowledge last forever.

Edited by yonny

Frank Warwick was a fan of the pendulum cast which would go a long way to explaining his preference for high rod poundages for a big chuck... by his own admission though, at huge distances a pendulum cast is wildly inaccurate and to be honest for someone not used to it its a bit of a faff to get right let alone find any accuracy... maybe some casting lessons from guys like Terry Edmonds would be better than trying to hoof out a big lead in a chuckitanchansit approach pendulum stylee

10 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Frank Warwick was a fan of the pendulum cast

He might say that but his cast is not actually the pendulum. It's a completely unique (and quite odd) round-the-body technique that I've only seen him use. Back in the day he was considered a massive caster and his weird style harnessed the straight-arm/weight-transfer principles behind todays distance casting technique but compared to modern overhead distance casters he's no longer considered a genuinely big caster. He can still cast a lot further than me though 🤣

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Seems to me that if your just about getting there with your current setup and technique, just drop the mainline to 12 or 15, why do you need 20lb?  or go on braid as suggested above.

The 20lb was simply so that I was spooled up suitably for all venues I fish...I'm wanting to go to some venues with catfish this year. Also the diameter of the 20lb I've used is actually the same as the 15lb I had on my old reels.

28 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

The 20lb was simply so that I was spooled up suitably for all venues I fish...I'm wanting to go to some venues with catfish this year. Also the diameter of the 20lb I've used is actually the same as the 15lb I had on my old reels.

Fair enough - I'm using the Fox Ecocet at the moment, a casting line - think it's in 18lb could be wrong - no complaints so far.  I was using 20lb Sensor on another water and noticed that it casted like a pig compared to the same in 15lb.

For out and out casting they say go for lighter line and a shock leader.

My old rods were 3lb 12 footers, they soon lost their backbone casting 3.5 oz leads -  the cheap blanks were just stinky winky - so IMO the rod is the most important factor.

On 17/05/2021 at 18:13, dayvid said:

Lets hope Pendulum casting NEVER arrives in Carp fishing , otherwise their will be some horrendous injuries.

Must swims it would be impossible to go for a full pendulum with the long drop...  but a half pendulum is doable

I can remember vividly fishing a big sea open comp in South Wales in 1986 over 300 anglers + would attend and on the best marks we all fished close, the big casters would stand well back from the line of anglers and do a full pen but give a warning shout. I was looking at one of the boys winding up for a big cast when his thumb slipped off the multiplier we all ducked and wondered where the lead fell when a fluorescent green shock leader fluttered down and landed across me the lead missed me by a rod length.