Non-PVA funnel web?

Grodslok

Had my first session today, 3 hours in I decided to reel in to put on a new PVA stick and recast. Apparently I failed to notice the "non-" bit on my funnel web pack, and thus hauled in a slimy turd of pellets and groundbait in bright white stockings. Felt like a right bell-end when I checked the packaging more thoroughly 🤔.

So, what's Non-PVA stuff for? Cray-proofing boilies? Chum-bags for pike fishing? 

Was only 2 quid, so I won't be crying blood over it, but I'd better get the real stuff for next session, I think it can improve my presentation a wee bit.

11 hours ago, Grodslok said:

Had my first session today, 3 hours in I decided to reel in to put on a new PVA stick and recast. Apparently I failed to notice the "non-" bit on my funnel web pack, and thus hauled in a slimy turd of pellets and groundbait in bright white stockings. Felt like a right bell-end when I checked the packaging more thoroughly 🤔.

So, what's Non-PVA stuff for? Cray-proofing boilies? Chum-bags for pike fishing? 

Was only 2 quid, so I won't be crying blood over it, but I'd better get the real stuff for next session, I think it can improve my presentation a wee bit.

Armour mesh. 

Used to try to prevent crayfish and smaller fish nibbling bait away, although I have found crayfish can still get through it. Or you can use it to make a nice parcel of particles like hemp or sweetcorn for bait.

Wrap it round your boilies, or particles, tie it off with a twist of 'thread', either mono, dental floss and lighter tag and blob the end. 

12 hours ago, Grodslok said:

Lol often wondered if anyone did that, in my local tackle shop the fox armour mesh is next to the fox pva mesh they look similar.

Must be a real confusing angling discipline to come into a new,  i got given a withy rig years back and no instructions on what to do with it, ended up on a inline bit like a chod tied to a house brick, looked alright to me. 

27 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Lol often wondered if anyone did that, in my local tackle shop the fox armour mesh is next to the fox pva mesh they look similar.

Must be a real confusing angling discipline to come into a new,  i got given a withy rig years back and no instructions on what to do with it, ended up on a inline bit like a chod tied to a house brick, looked alright to me. 

This one is branded JAXON, and instructions are in polish, so yeah, highly unclear. The local tackle shop has a small shelf of mixed angling stuff; some hooks, floats, sinkers and feeders, three kinds of groundbait, and the occasional bag of boilies and other oddballs. The shopkeeper is mostly into fly fishing, and some perch, so he has the section under the premise "some people buy angling stuff, they probably know what they're looking for".

Agreed. I've been fishing for thirty-odd years, but mainly spinning and some fly fishing, only got into coarse fishing a year ago, so it's still a whole new playground. 

Also, angling in general is a quite small niche in Sweden. Back here it's the stone age, and two of our shops beginning to offer maggots by the pint is this year's sensation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2021 at 10:59, Grodslok said:

This one is branded JAXON, and instructions are in polish, so yeah, highly unclear. The local tackle shop has a small shelf of mixed angling stuff; some hooks, floats, sinkers and feeders, three kinds of groundbait, and the occasional bag of boilies and other oddballs. The shopkeeper is mostly into fly fishing, and some perch, so he has the section under the premise "some people buy angling stuff, they probably know what they're looking for".

Agreed. I've been fishing for thirty-odd years, but mainly spinning and some fly fishing, only got into coarse fishing a year ago, so it's still a whole new playground. 

Also, angling in general is a quite small niche in Sweden. Back here it's the stone age, and two of our shops beginning to offer maggots by the pint is this year's sensation.

I did see, years ago, some pictures of some beautiful Swedish carp, but I do know that the Arctic climate of the North of the country is not good for carp fishing, think any lakes would be colder species.

I can quite understand why fly and lure fishing is the draw over there. Mind you, the Baltic has a mix of both fresh and saltwater species. 

Does Sweden get an Atlantic Salmon run? 

On 13/05/2021 at 00:31, salokcinnodrog said:

I did see, years ago, some pictures of some beautiful Swedish carp, but I do know that the Arctic climate of the North of the country is not good for carp fishing, think any lakes would be colder species.

I can quite understand why fly and lure fishing is the draw over there. Mind you, the Baltic has a mix of both fresh and saltwater species. 

Does Sweden get an Atlantic Salmon run? 

We do, a few rivers on the west coast, and some on the east (baltic salmon counts as the same species).

The far north is getting pretty decent, apparently. 

We used to have 228 salmon rivers, but hydroelectric dams, logging routes and pollution has taken it down a few notches, to 30 something.

Pike and perch are everywhere, and they do grow big, especially in the baltic archipelago. Some bloke got an 18,1 kg pike earlier this spring (that's a hair short of 40 lbs). That'd be fun to try some day.