Food source basemix

On 11/05/2021 at 13:00, Grodslok said:

Right, that seems easily done 

How much do you beef up the flavours for a high attraction hookbait? More towards x 1,5 or x 4 (compared to base recipe)?

I don't. 

Exactly the same flavour levels for the sausages and round boilies. 

I use any flavour and essential oils at the lowest recommended level for food source baits. I also rarely use a boosted flavour hookbait when fishing bottom baits straight out of the bag over my food source bait, but I might if fishing a single hookbait on its own. 

If I do use a single high attract pop-up that is normally boosted flavour, the flavour level for a 1 egg hookbait mix, is what is recommended for a 6 egg normal mix, or I will be using a purchased pop-up. 

This is where I confuse the issue, as I often fish that hi-attract pop-up as the top bait on snowman set-ups, say Monster Crab or Squid and Octopus on top of a KMG bottom bait. 

3 hours ago, framey said:

Who was it who said if you can smell it the flavour is over the top…

or words to that effect

i know John baker said it recently but someone said it before him must be some truth in it

I have a feeling it was Fred Wilton originally. 

I think Sugar based flavours like chocolate or maple,  and flavours from fruit ester and from natural product based, can be used at higher levels than alkali or non-natural based chemical flavours. This may tie in with acidic flavours being able to be used at higher level 

There is a bit of an issue though as some chemicals, like iso-eugenol, come  from natural sources like Cloves. 

If you are fishing effectively over your bait, I do not think that really there is any need to be using 'boosted' hookbaits. The carp will pick up the bait.

I think it was a Ian Chilcott YouTube video who recently pointed out that. 

Boosted hookbaits may work better effectively as a single hookbait rather than over any freebies. 

20 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If you are fishing effectively over your bait, I do not think that really there is any need to be using 'boosted' hookbaits. The carp will pick up the bait.

Boosted hookbaits may work better effectively as a single hookbait rather than over any freebies. 

I don't think I completely agree with that, I like my hookbait to stand out from my free offerings tbh, I work on the theory that my hookbait should be more inviting than the rest or stand out from the rest, I think this may also lead to quicker bites and not having to wait till all the bait is gone before it is taken, I don't necessarily mean over flavoured or boosted to within an inch of its life but different be that coloured or with An amino booster or goo, but it's rare I will match the hatch tbh and I usually always have something different on each rod, as I want to find out what might be working that day, 

28 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I don't. 

Exactly the same flavour levels for the sausages and round boilies. 

I use any flavour and essential oils at the lowest recommended level for food source baits. I also rarely use a boosted flavour hookbait when fishing bottom baits straight out of the bag over my food source bait, but I might if fishing a single hookbait on its own. 

If I do use a single high attract pop-up that is normally boosted flavour, the flavour level for a 1 egg hookbait mix, is what is recommended for a 6 egg normal mix, or I will be using a purchased pop-up. 

This is where I confuse the issue, as I often fish that hi-attract pop-up as the top bait on snowman set-ups, say Monster Crab or Squid and Octopus on top of a KMG bottom bait. 

I have a feeling it was Fred Wilton originally. 

I think Sugar based flavours like chocolate or maple,  and flavours from fruit ester and from natural product based, can be used at higher levels than alkali or non-natural based chemical flavours. This may tie in with acidic flavours being able to be used at higher level 

There is a bit of an issue though as some chemicals, like iso-eugenol, come  from natural sources like Cloves. 

Thanks all of you, this cleared up quite a bit of the confusion. Plenty of that for a newbie, when articles on "glug this, boost that" are thirteen a dozen. 

Plowing through archives on carpology, AD, drennan etc, there's a whole lot of contradictory quotes from various famous anglers.

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't think I completely agree with that, I like my hookbait to stand out from my free offerings tbh, I work on the theory that my hookbait should be more inviting than the rest or stand out from the rest, I think this may also lead to quicker bites and not having to wait till all the bait is gone before it is taken, I don't necessarily mean over flavoured or boosted to within an inch of its life but different be that coloured or with An amino booster or goo, but it's rare I will match the hatch tbh and I usually always have something different on each rod, as I want to find out what might be working that day, 

On Earith the only takes I got were on 'straight out of the bag' baits. I tried a hi-attract or soaked bait ( Nutramino and Multimino PPc) and various pop-ups, the carp refused to take them. It may be that I had prebaited so much the carp were accepting them 'au natural'. I really try to get the carp accepting my bait

Don't get me wrong, I have caught on boosted baits, from the river, where the current might take down the attraction, yet rarely on a lake. The exception as said, is hi-attract pop-ups, oh and another, which was down to crayfish, but soaked wooden balls, soaked in the liquid food of my food bait. That same lake, I did also catch, crayfish free areas, on the food source bait. However you could not guarantee that is where the carp were, you always needed some cray proof baits in the bag. If you allowed your balls to dry out 😮😖 they would float again, so were kept in soak until use. 

58 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

On Earith the only takes I got were on 'straight out of the bag' baits. I tried a hi-attract or soaked bait ( Nutramino and Multimino PPc) and various pop-ups, the carp refused to take them. It may be that I had prebaited so much the carp were accepting them 'au natural'. I really try to get the carp accepting my bait

Don't get me wrong, I have caught on boosted baits, from the river, where the current might take down the attraction, yet rarely on a lake. The exception as said, is hi-attract pop-ups, oh and another, which was down to crayfish, but soaked wooden balls, soaked in the liquid food of my food bait. That same lake, I did also catch, crayfish free areas, on the food source bait. However you could not guarantee that is where the carp were, you always needed some cray proof baits in the bag. If you allowed your balls to dry out 😮😖 they would float again, so were kept in soak until use. 

They do like them now I think 👍

I've caught on yellow, white, brown, pale yellow, beige, pink, wo pink various flavours some boosted with amino baitsoak, if I want to match the hatch I will use a brown proper job BP+ it's a similar colour but unique flavour, 

I agree with you on establishing a bait though, I find they can be caught easier with regular prebaiting, if you can get them to regularly visit they are catchable probably on any hookbait 😁👍

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

@Grodslok do Swedish bait Mechanics still exist?

They were run by a chap called Haakan Olsen

Bait ingredients and advice might be available from them😉

They do indeed. Their homepage has boilies, and one basemix (about £110 for 10 kg). The webshop I frequent still has 4-5 of their base mixes. Other thsn that, Northern Baits has one or two mixes becoming available later this year (got their Krillers on the pre-sale). 

But advice could probably be had, at least.