Chickpeas

14 minutes ago, Dezzy27 said:

Evening all. Thought I'd try out chickpeas instead of corn. Glad I did. Lovely 13lb mirror and a great scrap on light tackle. Rolled chickpeas in egg and cooked in oven to try firm them up, worked too a degree

20210501_102911.jpg

That sounds like just the sort of bait that Blue would use with his vintage tackle .

😃

Many years ago I used to fish a shallow, clear stretch of river for barbel and after a while, they started to treat sweetcorn with suspicion. I switched to chick peas and then used just about any tin of bean or pea I could find and they all caught! Some of them were a bit bland but any flavouring perks them up and don't forgot the old classic of black eye peas simmered in oxtail soup.

Chick peas are a good bait. Catapult fairly well. 

You don't want them too soft, just soaked for 24hour, then boil til if you squeeze they split. You can use tinned as well. 

If you want to flavour or colour them, add the flavour in while soaking, go with a spice flavour like cinnamon, aniseed or 5drops of is-eugenol. 

Has anyone tried adding tarka dhal to there spod mix? 

It's like a tikka but a little otter 😁😁😁😁😁

You can get kala chana in tins has anyone tried those? They are already spiced, I've made curries with them but never even thought of using them for bait until now 😳