All the gear No Idea

Good evening all, 

New to the game and am currently building my collection of gear which is taking over the shed, it's coming to the time where its time to get my lines wet! Any tips or advice on what kind of waters to start on? Currently live in the middle of Derby, Notts and Leicester right next to east midlands airport..  Watching loads of youtube vids so I don't look like a total noddy on the bank ;-) Shame you can't book day lessons 

Jamie 

1 minute ago, framey said:

You can book lessons buddy just need to find someone close to you 

if you want some “easy” fishing Drayton reservoir isn’t too far from you 

That's good news, will also look into Drayton cheers pal

32 minutes ago, limmy said:

Good evening all, 

New to the game and am currently building my collection of gear which is taking over the shed, it's coming to the time where its time to get my lines wet! Any tips or advice on what kind of waters to start on? Currently live in the middle of Derby, Notts and Leicester right next to east midlands airport..  Watching loads of youtube vids so I don't look like a total noddy on the bank ;-) Shame you can't book day lessons 

Jamie 

Hi don't keep your tackle in the shed would be my starting tip, the mice love tackle bags and rod handles. 

13 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Thieves also like a shed, make sure its fully secure. 

Never been a problem not that i would but i could leave all my gear in the garden i load the car up the night before i go think most tackle goes out of cars when parked up some place out the way. i still keep all my gear indoors though no need to hang it out there lol. 

59 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Thieves also like a shed, make sure its fully secure. 

I was at a mates bbq and he was saying how safe his gear was in his new shed from thieves pointing out the 3 big padlocks and wire on the inside of the window. I said give me a screwdriver and I’ll be in there in under five minutes and not make a noise and bet him a case of beer....

I was inside in under 4 minutes got a big cheer and the case of beer, all I did was unscrew the hinges, so make sure you drill out the head of the screws a bit if you haven’t 👍

12 hours ago, limmy said:

Good evening all, 

Jamie 

Welcome to Carp.com. 

As others have said I would make sure your shed is secure. 

I know B B mentions knocking the head off screws, I could still get in quietly and fairly quickly I reckon and to be honest if thieves know an escape route, silently is not always needed. 

Cheers all for the tips, will be making sure that the shed is secure, I also lock the gate but if someone wants something bad enough then it's pretty hard to stop them. I do have a few mates who carp fish but trying to get them out on the bank is a nightmare. Hopefully be out in the next few weeks 

The best way to learn the basics is to be able to fish alongside other carpers who are able to point you in the right direction mate. Keep digesting the information from YouTube channels but try not to let it all become too confusing! I would start out on a water with high stocks of fish, use nice simple rigs, you can get so many different ready tied rigs these days and they all have instructions to use them safely. Good thing about having a stock of ready tied rigs is you know they are up to the job, you can then take them apart at a later date to see how they were made, then you can get the components for yourself and practice tying them up yourself. Choose a decent reputable bait that you know works, speak to local tackle shops and the bailiffs to see what baits work best on your chosen water, don’t be afraid to ask them the going methods and any other hints or tips they can give you, it’s in their interest to get you catching, you’ll come back and buy more bits bait and day tickets! Once you have a going bait and rigs, stick with them so you build your confidence up in it. At least until you find your feet. Location is the big thing mate, look for carp and you can hopefully catch them. Look for bubblers, rolling, jumping, cruising, silting up etc. You can’t catch carp that aren’t in your swim. Get on the bank with mates that know the water and know what they’re doing, you’ll learn more that way and they can help steer you in the right direction. Above all, enjoy it pal! It takes time, but learning about it is so enjoyable, I envy you as you’ve got a whole carp fishing career stretched out before you with all the lessons, triumphs and failures that make this game so addictive! 

17 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

The best way to learn the basics is to be able to fish alongside other carpers who are able to point you in the right direction mate. Keep digesting the information from YouTube channels but try not to let it all become too confusing! I would start out on a water with high stocks of fish, use nice simple rigs, you can get so many different ready tied rigs these days and they all have instructions to use them safely. Good thing about having a stock of ready tied rigs is you know they are up to the job, you can then take them apart at a later date to see how they were made, then you can get the components for yourself and practice tying them up yourself. Choose a decent reputable bait that you know works, speak to local tackle shops and the bailiffs to see what baits work best on your chosen water, don’t be afraid to ask them the going methods and any other hints or tips they can give you, it’s in their interest to get you catching, you’ll come back and buy more bits bait and day tickets! Once you have a going bait and rigs, stick with them so you build your confidence up in it. At least until you find your feet. Location is the big thing mate, look for carp and you can hopefully catch them. Look for bubblers, rolling, jumping, cruising, silting up etc. You can’t catch carp that aren’t in your swim. Get on the bank with mates that know the water and know what they’re doing, you’ll learn more that way and they can help steer you in the right direction. Above all, enjoy it pal! It takes time, but learning about it is so enjoyable, I envy you as you’ve got a whole carp fishing career stretched out before you with all the lessons, triumphs and failures that make this game so addictive! 

Great reply , Ouch.

You won't go far wrong following Ouchs' advice , Limmy .

😃

If I was to recommend one You Tube channel other than my own, for actually learning all about how to fish for big carp to a standard that would see you being welcome on the more carpy carps waters it would be the channel below no messing trying to sell stuff no must have rig jewellery just how to fish as a big fish angler.

Matthew Collins this guys videos are the best.

2 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Thank you so much for the great advice, I have bought a few different rigs. For example the normal hair rig, a shorter one for method feeding and a few choddy rigs,  I really look forward to getting started if a little nervous 

2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

If I was to recommend one You Tube channel other than my own, for actually learning all about how to fish for big carp to a standard that would see you being welcome on the more carpy carps waters it would be the channel below no messing trying to sell stuff no must have rig jewellery just how to fish as a big fish angler.

Matthew Collins this guys videos are the best.

Thanks for the following channel suggestion, looks like loads of helpful content, also you mentioned that you have a channel, do you have a link?

cheers all 

Jamie 

1 hour ago, limmy said:

Thank you so much for the great advice, I have bought a few different rigs. For example the normal hair rig, a shorter one for method feeding and a few choddy rigs,  I really look forward to getting started if a little nervous 

Thanks for the following channel suggestion, looks like loads of helpful content, also you mentioned that you have a channel, do you have a link?

cheers all 

Jamie 

Ha ha I'm just messing my channel has no carp tutorials on it just me messing around there is a video in this thread below few others on the channel but only one fish don't know how he got on there must be the first case of a fish photo bomb. 

5 hours ago, limmy said:

No worries pal. 

On 01/05/2021 at 20:00, limmy said:

Good evening all, 

Jamie 

I'm from good old ilson so am localish to you 

Loads of club waters to cut your teeth on round there, pride of derby is probably closest to you or derby railway a.c

Earl of Harrington has loads of waters around derby.

N.c.b area5 is the only club water I've fished and has a few waters around ilkeston and heanor.