Spinner rig

Mattn750

The spinner rig is my go to pop up rig, I’ve used ESP cryogen curve shanks and korda kurves in size 6 and 4s with no issues. In fact i prefer the size 4 to be honest. Whilst I use it with a helicopter set up, it can be used with a lead clip arrangement, but I probably wouldn’t use it with an inline lead personally, I find inline leads lend themselves to short soft braided hooklinks and pva bag work, I would be worried that the nose of the lead would dig in taking the hooklink with it. As I use fluro or at least a semi stiff hooklink of between 8-10 inches (to suit the lake bed I’m fishing over - silt) an inline lead would negatively affect the presentation if the lead did plug in nose first. Of course that doesn’t mean an inline lead wouldn’t work over a hard lake bed, but a helicopter or lead clip arrangement would be my choice. 

I also use as only pop up rig, but I use the Nash Claw for ALL my rigs... , "Ronnie Claw Rig" compared to standard Ronnie rig. 

Lead Clip arrangement. 

4958ab502e6c906d2dfc4356860d1b917e955b72_233400amb3.jpg.e7cc2381a512b9ad2f66e49def60fd95.jpg

6-Ronnie-Rig-Bundle-3-Nash-Claw-Hook.jpg.a577b5ec084f0e83cb646f680d4b007b.jpg

Nash Claw on left, Kurve shank on right. 

Edited by Highy

13 hours ago, Highy said:

I also use as only pop up rig, but I use the Nash Claw for ALL my rigs... , "Ronnie Claw Rig" compared to standard Ronnie rig. 

Lead Clip arrangement. 

4958ab502e6c906d2dfc4356860d1b917e955b72_233400amb3.jpg.e7cc2381a512b9ad2f66e49def60fd95.jpg

6-Ronnie-Rig-Bundle-3-Nash-Claw-Hook.jpg.a577b5ec084f0e83cb646f680d4b007b.jpg

Nash Claw on left, Kurve shank on right. 

Thanks for the reply, I have some soft ghost fluro would that do for the boom? Or I have some stuff braid ( suffix sheath skin). Would you just use a grinner knot onto the ring to attach,

I’ve used both hooklinks with the spinner rig without any problem mate, I tend to attach it to the spinner swivel with a figure of eight loop and another loop at the other end of the boom for the quick change swivel. A grinner knot to the spinner swivel will be fine, but I personally prefer loops either end. 

4 minutes ago, Mattn750 said:

Thanks for the reply, I have some soft ghost fluro would that do for the boom? Or I have some stuff braid ( suffix sheath skin). Would you just use a grinner knot onto the ring to attach,

I use Korda Boom and Krimp a loop in each end, if I need a softer section I use ESP Tungsten Loaded, Palamor knot to Ronnie side, Figure 8 for quick change swivel. 

3 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I’ve used both hooklinks with the spinner rig without any problem mate, I tend to attach it to the spinner swivel with a figure of eight loop and another loop at the other end of the boom for the quick change swivel. A grinner knot to the spinner swivel will be fine, but I personally prefer loops either end. 

Here my attempt , looks about right. Threading the QC ring through the hook eye was really tight and required bending the QC part out and back in.

16196132042466239501586545289887.jpg

37 minutes ago, Mattn750 said:

Threading the QC ring through the hook eye was really tight and required bending the QC part out and back in.

Maybe worth investing in some of the actual Spinner Swivels, stops the hassle of bending open/close the swivel what would may cause a weak spot? Just a thought. 

I’ve used both quick change and spinner swivels pal, without any issues, but nowadays I just use the korda spinner swivels as they’ve been designed for the job, no bending open the QC swivel to get the hook eye in! I use size 11 swivels for all my rigs, the smaller and less obtrusive the better! 

3 hours ago, Mattn750 said:

Here my attempt , looks about right. Threading the QC ring through the hook eye was really tight and required bending the QC part out and back in.

16196132042466239501586545289887.jpg

I prefer the crook of the swivel so the opening is on the outside of the hook rather than inside.

just in case...

20 hours ago, framey said:

I prefer the crook of the swivel so the opening is on the outside of the hook rather than inside.

just in case...

On occasions I use Ronnie or Spinner rigs I have the opening on the outside. 

This is an interesting point, when I use spinner/ronnie rigs, I have the opening on the inside of the hook, so the opening of the crook of the swivel faces the hook point. I use shrink tube over the swivel/hook eye enough to cover the eye completely, up to 1mm of the shank and down over the crook and 3/4 of the barrel of the swivel. Ensuring that it doesn’t impede the swivel at the ring side. I don’t trust the cut down “kicker” method and I think it looks bulky and untidy, shrink tube is much less obtrusive. To change the hook involves cutting the shrink tube away and re-steaming after swapping hooks, but as I prepare 10-15 of them at home at a time, so I’ve got lots prepared, this isn’t an issue. I’ve landed cats to 55lb on this set up as described above, after a mammoth 45min fight, where it swam out of the net backwards and I had to fight it all the way back again! On checking, the hook/shrink tube hadn’t shifted a bit. I thought the Ronnie was a bit “blingy” and I chucked one out for the first time as an experiment, on a water where bites were hit and miss, they were very cute and riggy, I hooked 2 in one overnighter, my pop up catch rate on 2 waters that had really riggy carp doubled overnight with the Ronnie rig, I’ve got real confidence in it now.  

15 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

This is an interesting point, when I use spinner/ronnie rigs, I have the opening on the inside of the hook, so the opening of the crook of the swivel faces the hook point. I use shrink tube over the swivel/hook eye enough to cover the eye completely, up to 1mm of the shank and down over the crook and 3/4 of the barrel of the swivel. Ensuring that it doesn’t impede the swivel at the ring side. I don’t trust the cut down “kicker” method and I think it looks bulky and untidy, shrink tube is much less obtrusive. To change the hook involves cutting the shrink tube away and re-steaming after swapping hooks, but as I prepare 10-15 of them at home at a time, so I’ve got lots prepared, this isn’t an issue. I’ve landed cats to 55lb on this set up as described above, after a mammoth 45min fight, where it swam out of the net backwards and I had to fight it all the way back again! On checking, the hook/shrink tube hadn’t shifted a bit. I thought the Ronnie was a bit “blingy” and I chucked one out for the first time as an experiment, on a water where bites were hit and miss, they were very cute and riggy, I hooked 2 in one overnighter, my pop up catch rate on 2 waters that had really riggy carp doubled overnight with the Ronnie rig, I’ve got real confidence in it now.  

I prefer shrink tube myself as well. I have found silicon or plastic tubing can move, either direction, and I am positive I have lost fish because of it, with Carp-R-Us Gizmos and sea fishing Spinlinks. I first played with them back at Taverham in the 1990's and I recall losing a fish where silicon tubing moved. I have also seen someone else lose a big fish on quicklinks because of it. Hence my preference to stick with hooklink swivels. Even leads attached to run rings with quick links can come off! 

With Ronnie swivels, it may not be such a problem, because the hook is tight on the swivel crook, but it's not a chance I will take

On 27/04/2021 at 18:51, ouchthathurt said:

The spinner rig is my go to pop up rig, I’ve used ESP cryogen curve shanks and korda kurves in size 6 and 4s with no issues. In fact i prefer the size 4 to be honest. Whilst I use it with a helicopter set up, it can be used with a lead clip arrangement, but I probably wouldn’t use it with an inline lead personally, I find inline leads lend themselves to short soft braided hooklinks and pva bag work, I would be worried that the nose of the lead would dig in taking the hooklink with it. As I use fluro or at least a semi stiff hooklink of between 8-10 inches (to suit the lake bed I’m fishing over - silt) an inline lead would negatively affect the presentation if the lead did plug in nose first. Of course that doesn’t mean an inline lead wouldn’t work over a hard lake bed, but a helicopter or lead clip arrangement would be my choice. 

Hello , Ouch.

I use a ready tied ESP Gripper Combi Rig for my pop ups which gives me a fairly high pop up - about 2" .

I seem to remember Nick favouring a low pop up , and would that be the same for you ? .

Lastly , do you think the Spinner Rig has replaced the Ronnie Rig ? .

Thanks 

😃

Spinner Rig , rather the Ronnie Rig 

I prefer a lower pop up generally mate, I’m not a fan of anything popping up over an inch to an inch and a half at maximum. I only fish the spinner over boilies, if I’m fishing over small particle/seed or spod etc then I prefer to fish a straight bottom bait, or a wafter type presentation. It’s about putting the bait where they are feeding I suppose! With the spinner rig, it presents the pop up nice and low, whilst keeping the hook point clear of the bottom. I don’t want my hook bait to be blatantly obvious, I critically balance my pop ups, so they only just sink. I make all my own baits and pop ups, I find a thin skin of paste over a 10mm cork ball gives me a bait of 11-12mm which matches exactly the 12mm bottom baits I make. My pop up paste is identical in ingredients to my bottom baits, only with added egg albumin (egg white powder) to give it a tough skin. Maybe a slightly higher flavour dosage as I boil the pop ups for longer than bottom baits. I lasso the bait on with floss and with a size four curve, to size 11 spinner swivel balances out nicely. 

40 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I prefer a lower pop up generally mate, I’m not a fan of anything popping up over an inch to an inch and a half at maximum. I only fish the spinner over boilies, if I’m fishing over small particle/seed or spod etc then I prefer to fish a straight bottom bait, or a wafter type presentation. It’s about putting the bait where they are feeding I suppose! With the spinner rig, it presents the pop up nice and low, whilst keeping the hook point clear of the bottom. I don’t want my hook bait to be blatantly obvious, I critically balance my pop ups, so they only just sink. I make all my own baits and pop ups, I find a thin skin of paste over a 10mm cork ball gives me a bait of 11-12mm which matches exactly the 12mm bottom baits I make. My pop up paste is identical in ingredients to my bottom baits, only with added egg albumin (egg white powder) to give it a tough skin. Maybe a slightly higher flavour dosage as I boil the pop ups for longer than bottom baits. I lasso the bait on with floss and with a size four curve, to size 11 spinner swivel balances out nicely. 

Thanks very much , Ouch , for your detailed reply , it's very helpful .

😃

• 4 months later...

Just got back from a 24hr session and I used it with both inline and clipped up leads and it worked perfectly. I also used it with bottom baits as well as pop ups. I found my bottom baits were hooked perfectly. The place I'm currently fishing is heavily weeded and I'm not a fan of the Chod rig. Instead I used the spinner with a bottom bait attached to a mesh stuffed with particles and chopped boilies. I had eight carp and one tench. So don't worry about using inline leads with it. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
On 01/05/2021 at 15:20, crusian said:

Hello , Ouch.

I use a ready tied ESP Gripper Combi Rig for my pop ups which gives me a fairly high pop up - about 2" .

I seem to remember Nick favouring a low pop up , and would that be the same for you ? .

Lastly , do you think the Spinner Rig has replaced the Ronnie Rig ? .

Thanks 

😃

Spinner Rig , rather the Ronnie Rig 

I do prefer a low pop-up, as I tend to have the fish to be feeding rather than an 'inquisitive' take, and I do normally fish spots with minimal weed rather than in the thick of it. 

I had switched back to inline leads, even with Spinner rigs, but I have been able to hand place rigs out in chesties and know that I have good presention. If I was casting it out I would probably be back to helicopter set-ups. 

• 2 weeks later...