Chod rigs?

elmoputney

Hi guys 

I've decided I need to be using a chod rig for next little while until my spots have thinned out, basically I am chucking into low lying Canadian at present, 

Would you be using naked or Gardner camflex unleaded leader or a fluoro leader ? 

I am going to use the Gardner drop out clips, so if the lead needs to it can come off and I am going to attach it to a Q type clip, and use the Gardner tungsten beads 

In just can't decide whether naked or a leader is best? 

Thanks all 

3 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I always use the chod with a leader, a leadcore leader to be precise.  That's just my preference and I've never had an issue with this set up. 

Thanks

Unfortunately leadcore is banned but I have been using camflex unleaded leader which is as similar as you can get I guess , I just wondered if there is any advantage to going naked really, 

I much prefer using a leadcore or unleaded leader as opposed to a naked set up. I’ve used both types extensively, and have found the unleaded to be more supple (obviously!) as well as a bit thinner. My only slight problem with the thinner unleaded material (Nash version in my case) was getting the top bead/silicone sleeve to stay in place. I use the old silicone sleeve method with a bead pushed lightly on it as a top bead. So the silicone sleeve must fit tightly so only the bead can move and pop off easily. With unleaded leaders, I used a dab of rig glue on the leader where I wanted the silicone sleeve to go, then slide the sleeve over the glue before it set. This is down to personal preference as when fishing naked, i have an inherent fear of tangles! Could you fish one set up on each rod side by side and see what suits your needs best? Or are you planning the choddie on one spot only? 

30 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I much prefer using a leadcore or unleaded leader as opposed to a naked set up. I’ve used both types extensively, and have found the unleaded to be more supple (obviously!) as well as a bit thinner. My only slight problem with the thinner unleaded material (Nash version in my case) was getting the top bead/silicone sleeve to stay in place. I use the old silicone sleeve method with a bead pushed lightly on it as a top bead. So the silicone sleeve must fit tightly so only the bead can move and pop off easily. With unleaded leaders, I used a dab of rig glue on the leader where I wanted the silicone sleeve to go, then slide the sleeve over the glue before it set. This is down to personal preference as when fishing naked, i have an inherent fear of tangles! Could you fish one set up on each rod side by side and see what suits your needs best? Or are you planning the choddie on one spot only? 

I always used to use a piece of spaghetti as the stop for the top bead until Korda brought out the half bead kit

44 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I think I am pretty settled on the idea of going all in tbh, it's very weedy all over the place and I think from having used one last time (with camflex) that it was the only rig I was confident was in play, I'm working on spot cleaning but it might take a while as I want to do naturally with bait this time 🤔

I've ordered some more camflex as I am getting low, I have tied up a couple naked also so I may try one, but normally I like to use a leader myself so I think it makes sense to use one with the chod and you have all pretty much agreed it's best so that's good enough for me 

Thanks all 

• 2 years later...

I'm experimenting with Chods and been catching.

I am wanting to use a three bait pva stringer with this, would this work just looped on the lead? It feels like it could be a bit far from the hook bait.

I have to use a naked setup as leadcore etc is banned where I am fishing.

Any extra 'weight' on the hook from something like a stringer will pull the barrel down to the lead.

I saw Frank Warwick did a video on a chod and a stick - seemed a bit fiddly, but I am interested to give it a go: 

9 hours ago, Whitstable Jack said:

I'm experimenting with Chods and been catching.

I am wanting to use a three bait pva stringer with this, would this work just looped on the lead? It feels like it could be a bit far from the hook bait.

I have to use a naked setup as leadcore etc is banned where I am fishing.

Any extra 'weight' on the hook from something like a stringer will pull the barrel down to the lead.

I saw Frank Warwick did a video on a chod and a stick - seemed a bit fiddly, but I am interested to give it a go: 

There is nothing to stop you putting a stringer on the hook or on the lead.

12 hours ago, jh92 said:

Never really used chod rigs, do you need to dump the lead? Just curious because of how close the lead will be to the carp when playing it?

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Not necessarily. You can tie a knot below the chod to keep the lead away from the rig. As long as the top bead can move, it's safe.

As @yonny says a knot below the chod will keep the lead clear.

In fact, with a chod (or helicopter) setup should you unfortunately have a crack-off, you need the lead to allow the rig to come off the top end past the beads.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Not necessarily. You can tie a knot below the chod to keep the lead away from the rig. As long as the top bead can move, it's safe.

So the knot would stop the rig slipping down to the lead when hooked up? If I remember correctly I seen Alan Blair spice two bits of leader to an O ring, one end would be the top half of say 2 or 3 foot where your chod rig and beads sit then on the other side of the ring would be like 6 or 8 inches of leader down to the lead. So in effect when hooked up the rig will slide down to the ring and stop leaving the lead clear of the fish. If that makes sense 🤣 and is that just as safe? 

13 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

As @yonny says a knot below the chod will keep the lead clear.

In fact, with a chod (or helicopter) setup should you unfortunately have a crack-off, you need the lead to allow the rig to come off the top end past the beads.

So really, if you're dumping the lead on chod rigs/heli setups, it's not as safe as keeping the lead on?