Shockleader

5 hours ago, Dezzy27 said:

Shock leader, do the same sort of guides apply as they do in sea fishing, 10lb be for each oz of weight. Concerned over knot size going through the eyes of the rod? If fishing a 12lb mainline with either a method or pva bag, would a shock leader be necessary?

Good point, although I use predominantly 4oz leads and use 15lb line straight through. If you're concerned there is a tapered mainline on the market so no knot. 

I use 12lb mainline and pva bags without a shockleader with no problems, I tend not to fish pva bags at range anyway as they can reduce my accuracy. When beachcasting, I would often use leads in the 4-6oz range and the casting style would demand a shockleader as the forces imposed on the mainline by the rods t/c, the actual casting style, (half pendulum, full pendulum, OTC, etc) and the added weight of a baited 2-3 hook trace, or a mackerel fillet or peeler crab etc, the initial air resistance of the baited end tackle, not forgetting the hostile nature of the sea to begin with, all these factors place a far greater strain on a mainline used for beachcasting than the strain placed in a carping environment. 

most modern carp lines snap at a higher strain than their stated breaking strain, and most modern set ups can, in the right hands, put a 3oz lead a long way with little force or effort. I’ve had a rod fail before the mainline when casting extreme range (twice!) it’s a case of being sensible, I’m happy to blast a 3 1/2oz lead as far as I can chuck it with 15lb line, if I was using a lower b/s line, of 10lb say, I’d use a length of 20lb line as a shockleader, or if it was a common tactic, if fishing a water where extreme range fishing was the norm, I would turn to a tapered mainline. (I would also use these on waters where leaders are banned) but to be honest, I haven't needed a shockleader for years, diawa hypersensor has reduced diameter for its b/s so I can use a line of 15-18lb with a line diameter of 12lb(ish) modern mainlines give us more options these days 

I very much doubt that the carp would ingest foam or cork, they often suck into their mouths inedible items to test them to see if they are food or not, plus they take in stones, sticks etc when feeding and are extremely well adapted to filtering out the food and spitting out the inedible stuff. So I think if they took in a bit of foam or cork, they will soon spit it out when they realise it’s not food. Provided you’re using a proper zig set up, and the foam/cork hook bait is secured, it shouldn’t come off anyway. I’ve seen carp suck in Fag butts, they soon spit them back out!! 

I normally only use a shock leader if I am really pushing for distance. 

15lb line is normally OK with 3oz leads, but really going for it, I would go with a leader in weed and snag free waters. 

Like you I tend to stick to around 10lb per ounce of lead, although 3.5oz I stick with 30lb Amnesia and I have not had it give yet. 

I was using 40lb Grey Greased Weasel for years on my Spod rod, with a medium Spomb, and found that the Amnesia could cope with that. However I would go back to the Weasel if I started using the big one again. 

If I needed to drop to 10lb line for distance I would be fishing a leader