New Carp Rods .... Help

Good morning all,

Not wanting to regurgitate previous posts about 'Which Rods', etc ... But I'm having a great deal of trouble finding modern / new carp rods with what I see as a sensible test curve, i.e. say between 2lb and 2.5lb. I've not bought rods or looked into them for say 15 years but when did 3lb t/c become the norm. Back in the day the only people I knew who owned these heavier rods were regulars to fishing in France. 

Also what happened to 11ft? That was the norm untill 12ft kind of took over, now I see a raft of dwarf-style jungle sticks of between 6 and 9 ft. 

I only tend to fish small to medium sized waters where an 80 yard or so chuck would see me in the far trees! Fish size probably up to higher doubles possibly 20lb. I can see plenty of small to medium sized baitrunners but seem to be struggling to find an appropriate rod to balance them with.

I'm now kind of leaning towards Barbel rods or 'Specimen' rods. Not wanting to sound as if I'm moaning but just surprised buy how 'heavy' carp fishing has become ...

Thanks in advance all.

Thanks both. Harrison's are probably out of my range price-wise, sadly. I have been looking at the shorter rods. Funny because as a youngster that's what me and friends started carp fishing with, 9ft Leger Rods, almost gone full circle 😀

I'll do a bit more research on these shorter carp rods.

15 minutes ago, moore82 said:

Thanks both. Harrison's are probably out of my range price-wise, sadly. I have been looking at the shorter rods. Funny because as a youngster that's what me and friends started carp fishing with, 9ft Leger Rods, almost gone full circle 😀

I'll do a bit more research on these shorter carp rods.

Sonik Xtractor are looking like they are taking over, also the recon rods (double pack down). 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

3lb test ..... Wasted on me that. I only use 8 or 10 lb line with 1.5 or 2 oz leads 😀

I tend to fish quite light .... Probably why I catch so many poxy bream !! 

I remember years ago when some of the older more wealthy anglers started turning up to my local with these 3lb tc rods that seemed to have massive rings / eyes and resembled a broom handle. Never thought they'd become the norm ...... God I'm getting old 

54 minutes ago, moore82 said:

3lb test ..... Wasted on me that. I only use 8 or 10 lb line with 1.5 or 2 oz leads 😀

I tend to fish quite light .... Probably why I catch so many poxy bream !! 

I remember years ago when some of the older more wealthy anglers started turning up to my local with these 3lb tc rods that seemed to have massive rings / eyes and resembled a broom handle. Never thought they'd become the norm ...... God I'm getting old 

I use 12ft 3lb tc rods they aren't that broom Handley, not like they used to be tbh, I also remember thinking 3lbtc was a big rod and they were stiff, and they were back then I had a shimano cheapy and it was horrible 😂, i use wychwood c-101s at present and they are quite nice to play fish on tbh, 

There are Definately lighter rods out there though, if I think of anymore I will let you know 👍

Edited by elmoputney