Quality Baits 50/50

Hi guys, 

Been looking at Quality Baits 50/50 red fish and bird as a cheap, reasonably nutritious boilie (prebaiting purposes), but I'm distinctly unclear on whether it's actually balanced/ has any nutritional value? Have asked via the messaging service on website, and was told that it is a balanced food source, but the base mix's name has thrown me off😵

Anyone able to help?

Cheers. 

23 minutes ago, carp_anon said:

Hi guys, 

Been looking at Quality Baits 50/50 red fish and bird as a cheap, reasonably nutritious boilie (prebaiting purposes), but I'm distinctly unclear on whether it's actually balanced/ has any nutritional value? Have asked via the messaging service on website, and was told that it is a balanced food source, but the base mix's name has thrown me off😵

Anyone able to help?

Cheers. 

It is cheap because its a 50/50 mix with some added bits, the patshull Park mix would do the job better I think, and still not expensive, 

Personally If you want to save some money prebaiting I would use pellet and particles much less hassle than rolling bait yourself, and will do a great job 

1 hour ago, carp_anon said:

Hi guys, 

Anyone able to help?

Cheers. 

Well I've just been on their website and for me I personally wouldn't touch it.  

1 hour ago, carp_anon said:

Hi guys, 

Anyone able to help?

Cheers. 

If you want to pre bait with boilies then take a look on premier baits website.  They do something called "randoms". £35 for 10kg. 

9 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If you want to pre bait with boilies then take a look on premier baits website.  They do something called "randoms". £35 for 10kg. 

I second that, I’ve been an avid premier baits user since the mid 90s. It’s brilliant stuff. The randoms as above is a good option, or if you wanted to go all out, buy a basemix off them and make your own bait! 

It’s no different to the 50/50 that all the bigger brands did in the old days 

for an extra 50p or £1 a kilo you might as well get a better version of it 

but you can buy the cheap 50/50 for a lot cheaper pro rata than they are selling it for at your local supermarket.

you could just take a bit of the mix out add a few different ingredients and make it better by a long way for not a lot more money again

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Personally If you want to save some money prebaiting I would use pellet and particles much less hassle than rolling bait yourself, and will do a great job 

Yeah I plan to bulk the mix out a bit using these, but there’s a lot of bream on the water I’m fishing so am hoping to get a few boilies into the mix as well. 

2 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I second that, I’ve been an avid premier baits user since the mid 90s. It’s brilliant stuff. The randoms as above is a good option, or if you wanted to go all out, buy a basemix off them and make your own bait! 

I will give these a look, although last time I checked there was a very sizeable delivery fee! But for £35 for 10k can’t complain at all I suppose! 

Cheers for the advice guys 

Edited by carp_anon

10 hours ago, carp_anon said:

Yeah I plan to bulk the mix out a bit using these, but there’s a lot of bream on the water I’m fishing so am hoping to get a few boilies into the mix as well. 

I will give these a look, although last time I checked there was a very sizeable delivery fee! But for £35 for 10k can’t complain at all I suppose! 

Cheers for the advice guys 

Bream will eat boilies too mate 👍 I tend to invite all to the party when I start prebaiting, they all help to clear the spots and I always think the other fish will make the carp investigate, 

Everyone seems to think pellets =bream, but I also have complete confidence they help me catch carp too, 

Blakes baits is pretty good for pellets and particles free delivery over £40 

On 23/03/2021 at 07:41, yonny said:

Personally if I was looking at saving money I'd put less of a decent bait in rather than more of a bait I wasn't 100% confident in. If bream were a problem then the tigers would be joining the party too.

Totally agree mate, you’re better off getting the best quality bait you can afford and use less of it then fill it in with a bait that’s less expensive but with a lower nutritional profile. If it’s a high quality bait with a good nutritional value, the carp will recognise it as a decent food source with time and application and eat it over other less nutritional baits. It’s the old adage (I think it was Fred Wilton who said it) “carp will take advantage of the best available food source” and I’ve found it to be true, that a high quality nutritional bait will out fish a lesser quality bait over the course of a season. They can be slower to get going at times, but it pays off in the end. I’ve been using the same robin red/fish meal mix with oils, flavourings and additives now for well over a decade with few changes and it still does the job. Bait is so important and it’s essential that you have the upmost confidence in it or you’re beaten before you start! 

On 23/03/2021 at 07:41, yonny said:

Personally if I was looking at saving money I'd put less of a decent bait in rather than more of a bait I wasn't 100% confident in. If bream were a problem then the tigers would be joining the party too.

Same here. 

I would rather have a better quality bait that I know the fish will eat rather than a bait that they might eat. 

Even on big waters I have had carp take the 'food source' rather than the 'sweetie'. 

Bream will eat anything, they tend to 'vacuum feed' an area, eating everything, whereas carp can 'pick and choose'. 

With carp you may be far better baiting with small patches of bait, rather than creating a bed of groundbait, especially in open water. That is not to say a carpet of bait won't work, but it can be hit and miss. 

On Ardleigh and Alton heavy baiting with Vitalin produced far more bream than carp in open water. It worked for carp if it wasn't on a bream patrol route, but they could take a few days to find it.