Blow back rig, hinge or not?

Uroy

When tying a blow back or similar bottom bait rig do you remove a little of the coating just above the hook to create a hinge in the way you do for a pop up rig or leave all the coating on to create a stiffer rig with no hinge. From looking at videos online it seems to vary 

The blowback rig has been my bottom bait rig of choice for a few years and I’ve always stripped back the last centimetre by the hook to give it that flexibility, combined with shrink tube or a kicker of some sort. I want the hook to be able to drop and take hold quickly and find that it’s best to have the coated braid stripped just before the hook to provide this hinge. 

7 hours ago, Uroy said:

Brilliant thanks. Do you use a piece of silicone to trap the hair or a ring, what’s your preference? 

In theory, the rig ring should allow the rig to reset itself. 

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

I prefer using a rig ring mate, I had a few hook pulls when using silicone tubing which put me off somewhat

It may possibly be that the hook pulls could have been from fish which picked up rigs that had not reset after being ejected in the first place. 

The number of times I have seen fish pick up, move and eject rigs on semi-fixed leads with absolutely no indication at the buzzer still astounds me!

22 hours ago, Uroy said:

When tying a blow back or similar bottom bait rig do you remove a little of the coating just above the hook to create a hinge in the way you do for a pop up rig or leave all the coating on to create a stiffer rig with no hinge. From looking at videos online it seems to vary 

Depending on what I’m fishing over I’ve used both tbh but I find that I seen to be using the combi as my go to rig for some reason 

11 hours ago, Uroy said:

Brilliant thanks. Do you use a piece of silicone to trap the hair or a ring, what’s your preference? 

If you use a rig ring on the hook shank, with a line aligner and a bead to stop it, you can change hair length if required. 

This has been my version for years. Rob Maylin called it revolving or extending hair with the rig ring. 

It can be fished as a snowman (hence an orange Monster Crab pop-up as top bait) or bottom bait rig

Screenshot_20210315_215022.jpg

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

If you use a rig ring on the hook shank, with a line aligner and a bead to stop it, you can change hair length if required. 

This has been my version for years. Rob Maylin called it revolving or extending hair with the rig ring. 

It can be fished as a snowman (hence an orange Monster Crab pop-up as top bait) or bottom bait rig

Screenshot_20210315_215022.jpg

I do it slightly different if you tie the ring to the original hair and trim it off tie a knot less knot as normal,you can still change hair length on the ring just saves having a bead on the hook

I use a blow back rig with ring as my first choice, been using it for 20 odd years, if it ain't broke!

I've landed quite a few where they have blown the ring right over the hook eye onto the hook length - seemingly impossible because you cannot get it to go back over again, you have to scrap the rig and start again.  Just shows the force they can blow with and that's why the rig works a treat.

I strip the last 5 mil for free movement.

1 minute ago, kevtaylor said:

I use a blow back rig with ring as my first choice, been using it for 20 odd years, if it ain't broke!

I've landed quite a few where they have blown the ring right over the hook eye onto the hook length - seemingly impossible because you cannot get it to go back over again, you have to scrap the rig and start again.  Just shows the force they can blow with and that's why the rig works a treat.

I strip the last 5 mil for free movement.

If it ain’t broke 

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

That’s a proper old school hair there nick! I do prefer longer hairs, but I’m not sure I would have the confidence to use one that long! 

A good 20mm from hook shank to the bait

It really worked well on Nazeing Brackens pool; a quite heavily fished, even crowded at times, 2 acre lake with some wise carp, where you pretty much had to fish on gravel. 

Added to the running lead and I got proper runs. 

In 3 seasons I caught a number of rarely banked fish, including 3 30's. The only reason I stopped using it exactly like that is I moved onto the lagoons, and crayfish could be a 'mare playing with the bait.