Rig tying for beginners.

Tuckab

I was wondering what advice everyone has for a rank beginner. 

So far my rig has been set up as follows - 

Mainline threaded through a lead - swivel - pre tied hair rig. 

The lead is freely moving on the mainline with a swivel bead preventing rubbing on on the knot. 

Massively basic, I think, are there any guidelines or layouts I need to know. I have some leadcore leaders but no idea how to use them. 

11 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

The lead is freely moving on the mainline with a swivel bead preventing rubbing on on the knot. 

Massively basic, I think, are there any guidelines or layouts I need to know. I have some leadcore leaders but no idea how to use them. 

First answer, bin the leadcore! 

Seriously if you use it, the ONLY safe way is with helicopter rigs. 

I experimented years ago, there really is no safe set-up I was comfortable using that was safe for fish if there was a break or crack off. 

Instead of having the line run through the lead swivel, get yourself some run rings, various makes, Gardner, Fox, Solar etc. The lead can clip onto them with a snap link or quicklink. Keep the buffer bead on, save the run ring crashing the knot.

You can then leave the rods set up and just remove the lead between trips. 

1 hour ago, Tuckab said:

Start basic and work your way up via, friends, YouTube.. Etc. 

As Salo commented below... My Fox Running Rig setup. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

First answer, bin the leadcore! 

Seriously if you use it, the ONLY safe way is with helicopter rigs. 

I experimented years ago, there really is no safe set-up I was comfortable using that was safe for fish if there was a break or crack off. 

Instead of having the line run through the lead swivel, get yourself some run rings, various makes, Gardner, Fox, Solar etc. The lead can clip onto them with a snap link or quicklink. Keep the buffer bead on, save the run ring crashing the knot.

You can then leave the rods set up and just remove the lead between trips. 

Screenshot_20210309_225544.thumb.jpg.ef2109a7c0025b1fc992c8b9f6255080.jpg

I use a Loop to Loop combi rig with either bottom Bait or wafter, attached to my main line via quick change swivel, easy access to change rig. 

Mainline has some tubing on,  but can be a naked setup. 

Indication on a run rig is second to none... No resistance fully like a lead clip. 

I would start off with Pva bags tbh mate, they will help you catch more fish, nice and simple 

Shopping list  

PVA bag stems 

Braided hooklink 

PVA bags not too big 

PVA tape to tie the bags with 

2mm pellets and a hookbait 

1) tie a fairly big loop in your mainline (figure of 8 is what I use) big enough to fit your bag through, 

2) simple hair rig knot less knot about 4-5 inches with a wafter or smallish hookbait, I tie another figure of 8 loop knot on the lead end 

3) I then feed the loop end of the rig through the swivel on the bag stem,add an online lead to the stem also, and put the hook end through the loop so it is locked on the swivel, you could tie it to the swivel if you preferred 

4) make the bag starting by putting the hook and bait in, keeping the lead out, add some pellet bit more rig bit more pellet till its about 1/2 full add the lead bit more pellet leaving the top of the bag stem above the top of the bag make it abut 3/4 full with pellet twist it so it's tight tie it up then pack it down, there are loads of Pva bag vids around to show you this 

Then push the loop on your mainline through the top of the bag stem until the bag will go through the loop them drop it through the loop and it should be ready to cast out, 

I think Pva bags will catch you more fish as a beginner mate, they are more forgiving if you don't cast it perfectly, and they really do work, simple but effective 

A couple of videos to get you started 👍

I’ve used leadcore almost exclusively for over 20yrs and I’m with Nick on this one, if you’re not sure about it, give it a miss, it can be dangerous if not set up correctly. I only use helicopter rigs as the hooklink can separate from the leadcore completely in the event of a snap off. Besides, modern tubing and other rigs are just as effective nowadays. With modern fluro mainlines, you can achieve very good rig concealment fishing mainline straight through to the lead. Check out the vids posted above, chat to your tackle dealer when they reopen, ask them to explain basic carp rigs to you, any tackle shop employee worth his salt will take the time to educate you, (then you buy what you need from them and everyone’s a winner) do you have any mates that carp fish? Otherwise, buy some basic bits, ready tied rigs, tubing, inline leads, lead clips etc and have a play putting it all together, I learnt through experimentation, you also have the bonus of being able to post your results on here so you can have the confidence that they are safe and right. When a ready tied rig reaches the end of its natural life, don’t bin it, take it apart and work out how it was tied so you can emulate it. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, I learnt through asking anglers what they were doing. 

On 09/03/2021 at 21:04, Tuckab said:

As the rest of the guys here have said  look on you tube. Start basic it will come the main thing is you enjoy being there