Welcome to carpy fat club

elmoputney

Well I weighed myself today, 22st of manly power 😳😳😳😳😳

I guess this might be the result of lockdown and what it has done for me, tbh I have never felt so unhealthy, I ache constantly, my back is in constant pain, I just feel rubbish, but it's time to make a change, anyone else need/want to join me? 😁

I've been online and bought some protein powders and fine oats to use as a meal replacement, I've found this can be helpful in the past as they really help reduce your hunger pangs, then just snacks like fruit and veg and protein bars, oatcakes, that type of thing etc and a proper healthy dinner,plenty of water for detoxing, give up the chocolate and sugar, cheese, caffeine, beer and hopefully lose weight and feel better again, and gain some control back in my life, and some space back in my clothes 😁

If anyone else wants to join in with me or wants to use this post as a way to make a positive change to their life  then get stuck in, we are all here because we love fishing but that doesn't mean we can't help each other do things better, its been a tough year and I've always found this site has been helpful, so please speak up if you are struggling with anything, or just want to do something better, 

So tight lines and looser clothes all 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Well I weighed myself today, 22st of manly power 😳😳😳😳😳

I guess this might be the result of lockdown and what it has done for me, tbh I have never felt so unhealthy, I ache constantly, my back is in constant pain, I just feel rubbish, but it's time to make a change, anyone else need/want to join me? 😁

I've been online and bought some protien powders and fine oats to use as a meal replacement, I've found this can be helpful in the past as they really help reduce your hunger pangs, then just snacks like fruit and veg and protien bars, oatcakes, that type of thing etc and a proper healthy dinner,plenty of water for detoxing, give up the chocolate and sugar, cheese, caffeine, beer and hopefully lose weight and feel better again, and gain some control back in my life, and some space back in my clothes 😁

If anyone else wants to join in with me or wants to use this post as a way to make a positive change to their life  then get stuck in, we are all here because we love fishing but that doesn't mean we can't help each other do things better, its been a tough year and I've always found this site has been helpful, so please speak up if you are struggling with anything, or just want to do something better, 

So tight lines and looser clothes all 

I know where you're coming from regarding weight gain. I was always 15st 8lbs, that was until the first lockdown. I put on 3 stone and having been back to work since September I've not lost a pound and yet I'm a landscape gardener so I do a physical job.  It's not helped by the fact that I drive past a certain fast food outlet every work day morning that has a drive thru,  combine that with me being weak when it comes to food, I am in there most days. Not good. It's quite simple I guess, calories consumed far out weigh the calories I burn. I need to change something.  

I gave up smoking in 2013 and went to vaping 

I gave up vaping in 2017 and went up to 90kg

I joined a gym and went down to 70kg going twice a week even had a 6 pack lol and I’m over 50 

started doing stretching yoga 

it all made a massive difference.

lock down is killing that all however 

I walk over 10000 steps a day even on a work day this week I have managed over 100k steps and do so most weeks come rain or snow lol

i can’t wait for the gyms to open again 

need to start doing the yoga again though as I do feel the joints stiffening up again since stopping.

try the couch to 5 k app it’s good to motivate you you can choose your trainer I used Michael Johnson when I had it .

the hardest part is the first session

93A19408-F860-46C4-B4A1-5035E571DADD.png

10 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I know where you're coming from regarding weight gain. I was always 15st 8lbs, that was until the first lockdown. I put on 3 stone and having been back to work since September I've not lost a pound and yet I'm a landscape gardener so I do a physical job.  It's not helped by the fact that I drive past a certain fast food outlet every work day morning that has a drive thru,  combine that with me being weak when it comes to food, I am in there most days. Not good. It's quite simple I guess, calories consumed far out weigh the calories I burn. I need to change something.  

I know that outlet, one within a mile of me drive past it to and from work,which plants the seed, same chain so Convenient if I am going fishing also there is one I have to drive by, just got a papa John's that delivers and also a dominoes, the best kebab van in the world a mile away, an award winning curry house, its too blooming easy if you are tired, and I am always tired at the moment, 

I've found to get rid of the cravings you need to get rid of the sugar, and also wheat, it is tough when there are constant reminders everywhere, 

I'm going to try and be organised with my work food and plan our family dinners better so we don't get tempted 

I used to have a fairly easy job that involved sitting in front of a computer most of the time running a Chemical Plant. It was 12 hour day and night shifts and I found I was eating rubbish and at the wrong time of day. Typically I was having a breakfast before I went to bed after working nights otherwise hunger woke me up. I went from a comfortable 12.5 stone up to 14.5 before my job disappeared to India. After that, the next job I got involved a lot of walking and crucially it was close enough to cycle to work (12 mile round trip.) It killed me for the first month as the way home was a relentless climb and the first week I had to have 4 stops to get my breathe back but within a month I could do it without stopping and the weight started to drop off and settled at about 13 stone. Not long after I got a dog and we would go for long walks in the Countryside and that helped as well.

Good luck Elmo, take it easy and look at is a marathon not a sprint. Clear your cupboards of chocolate and biscuits as they are always too tempting.

35 minutes ago, framey said:

I gave up smoking in 2013 and went to vaping 

I gave up vaping in 2017 and went up to 90kg

I joined a gym and went down to 70kg going twice a week even had a 6 pack lol and I’m over 50 

started doing stretching yoga 

it all made a massive difference.

lock down is killing that all however 

I walk over 10000 steps a day even on a work day this week I have managed over 100k steps and do so most weeks come rain or snow lol

i can’t wait for the gyms to open again 

need to start doing the yoga again though as I do feel the joints stiffening up again since stopping.

try the couch to 5 k app it’s good to motivate you you can choose your trainer I used Michael Johnson when I had it .

the hardest part is the first session

93A19408-F860-46C4-B4A1-5035E571DADD.png

I gave up smoking a good few years ago, I gave up because I was too unfit to bmx race lol, I had got back into that and lung power was too short,I did that for a while and actually did some racing but one final I crashed and ballsed up my rotator cuff, I lost my bottle and quit 

I also moved onto vaping later on (still do that) 

Before the kids came I was also a bit of a fitness freak I had time and would go to the gym 3 times a week and once a week PT, I trained up to run 3 half marathons in 3 months, and was the fittest I had ever been after that I wanted to lift weights really got into that more and then kids happened, and whereas before I was eating lots for training I was eating lots and not training 😁 soon catches you up and I've never found the desire or time to be that person, and even though I know he is there, I'm so far away from him it's unreal, that was me 2012, living my best life the mowhawk was my last ever hairstyle before baldness took hold 😲Screenshot_20210221_164722.thumb.jpg.94668255216dc092e22630b80101a148.jpg

I can imagine how you must be missing the gym, it takes a while of going and hating it but one day you just break through and start loving it and needing it, hopefully it will get back to normal soon for you,

I don't want to run anymore tbh, I did a lot of it and have grown to hate it though, I have done it again since but I think knowing i can't do what I did makes it hard to be motivated, I do like walking though when I can tbh I will have to start off just doing that, I have a lot of niggles and old injuries that will flare up if I start too hard, I'm taking the first steps today though so not bad 👍

Cheers guys

Every journey starts with a first step mate. When I left the army, I wasn’t in a good place, wracked with PTSD, several physical wounds/injuries that caused issues, I was smoking 30-40 a day, drinking 6-8 pints + a hip flask sized bottle of vodka a day and taking far too many prescription painkillers a day, I ate maybe one meal every other day and dropped to 7 stone. I ended up in hospital with repeated pancreatitis, I got taken on by SSAFA, underwent CBT, was told by my therapist to start going carp fishing again! I then met my now wife, I gave up smoking, switched to vape, (which I still do) gave up alcohol, (last drink 2016) went to drug rehab and kicked the painkillers (I took more opiates daily then a long term heroin addict) which took 18 months, put on 5+ stone and sorted my life out. In fact, during lockdown, I went up to 14stone, I’m back at 12.5st which is ideal. I started walking everywhere and doing light workouts, the increased weight and muscle-mass supports the physical injuries to the point I can cope without any painkillers whatsoever. Now planning to cut the vape down, then drop it all together, but baby steps! I wish you much luck guys, just take it a day at a time! 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I know that outlet, one within a mile of me drive past it to and from work,which plants the seed, same chain so Convenient if I am going fishing also there is one I have to drive by, just got a papa John's that delivers and also a dominoes, the best kebab van in the world a mile away, an award winning curry house, its too blooming easy if you are tired, and I am always tired at the moment, 

I've found to get rid of the cravings you need to get rid of the sugar, and also wheat, it is tough when there are constant reminders everywhere, 

I'm going to try and be organised with my work food and plan our family dinners better so we don't get tempted 

The thing I struggle with is what to eat at work. I'll take salad to help with a diet but get bored of the same thing after a week of it. I just need the discipline.  I know that some things I eat are not good. One of my worse traits is having a snack late evening, it just sits on your stomach so can't be good. 

16 minutes ago, framey said:

Well done 

I haven’t run since this lockdown 

and I was only up to 5k anyway 

but I hadn’t done any exercise since school 

I bought some resistance bands about a month ago just to keep the upper body going lol

5k is a decent run mate, I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near that now, anything longer is just like when you built up from the couch to 5k, you just do slightly longer on some of the runs each week and build it up, i started off doing a couch to 5k, its a good way to build it up

Resistance bands are good, our personal trainer used to beast us using those and bodyweight exercises 

27 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Every journey starts with a first step mate. When I left the army, I wasn’t in a good place, wracked with PTSD, several physical wounds/injuries that caused issues, I was smoking 30-40 a day, drinking 6-8 pints + a hip flask sized bottle of vodka a day and taking far too many prescription painkillers a day, I ate maybe one meal every other day and dropped to 7 stone. I ended up in hospital with repeated pancreatitis, I got taken on by SSAFA, underwent CBT, was told by my therapist to start going carp fishing again! I then met my now wife, I gave up smoking, switched to vape, (which I still do) gave up alcohol, (last drink 2016) went to drug rehab and kicked the painkillers (I took more opiates daily then a long term heroin addict) which took 18 months, put on 5+ stone and sorted my life out. In fact, during lockdown, I went up to 14stone, I’m back at 12.5st which is ideal. I started walking everywhere and doing light workouts, the increased weight and muscle-mass supports the physical injuries to the point I can cope without any painkillers whatsoever. Now planning to cut the vape down, then drop it all together, but baby steps! I wish you much luck guys, just take it a day at a time! 

That sounds like a hell of a journey you've been on mate, well done for getting through it and getting to a good place now where you can talk about it openly, 

40 minutes ago, emmcee said:

The thing I struggle with is what to eat at work. I'll take salad to help with a diet but get bored of the same thing after a week of it. I just need the discipline.  I know that some things I eat are not good. One of my worse traits is having a snack late evening, it just sits on your stomach so can't be good. 

Can you microwave? Or does it have to be cold? 

Chicken breasts are quite handy, you can knock up a week's supply on a Sunday, then just have them with a rice or cous cous or in a wrap, and some veg or salad, I use the frozen mixed veg bags quite a bit, just chuck them into a container from the freezer before work cut up a chicken breast and add a sachet of rice like the tilda ones 3mins in the microwave stirring once then add a bit of hot sauce or some other sauce for flavour voila, and chicken keeps you full for longer because its pretty high on protien 

I also like a late night snack, that's when I am at my weakest too I think 

Musclefood is good for bulk meats there chicken breasts are good quality usually and a decent price too, well worth a look, 

I know a lot about what I am supposed to do just can't seem to do it myself 😁😳😳

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Can you microwave? Or does it have to be cold? 

Chicken breasts are quite handy, you can knock up a week's supply on a Sunday, then just have them with a rice or cous cous or in a wrap, and some veg or salad, I use the frozen mixed veg bags quite a bit, just chuck them into a container from the freezer before work cut up a chicken breast and add a sachet of rice like the tilda ones 3mins in the microwave stirring once then add a bit of hot sauce or some other sauce for flavour voila, and chicken keeps you full for longer because its pretty high on protien 

I also like a late night snack, that's when I am at my weakest too I think 

Musclefood is good for bulk meats there chicken breasts are good quality usually and a decent price too, well worth a look, 

I know a lot about what I am supposed to do just can't seem to do it myself 😁😳😳

I know nothing of it and if I did I may be better off than where I am to date 

Nearly all of mine is guess work.

you tube videos just seems to confuse me more 

one says do this and another says that’s bad do it this way and another says none of those will work unless you do this as well 

47 minutes ago, framey said:

I know nothing of it and if I did I may be better off than where I am to date 

Nearly all of mine is guess work.

you tube videos just seems to confuse me more 

one says do this and another says that’s bad do it this way and another says none of those will work unless you do this as well 

Do you mean exercise wise?  I think you are doing well if you have your steps up and you are keeping active that's all good 

If that is what you mean, a personal trainer will help you, as they teach you how to do things right, it does cost a bit though, if not Joe wicks is pretty good on YouTube I've done quite a lot of his videos with the kids, there probably are others that are good, I've not looked for a while tbh, if you have a local boot camp they can be good also, you may find they are open before gyms are it is outdoors, 

I'm no expert but if there is something inparticular you aren't sure of I might be able to assist 

55 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Do you mean exercise wise?  I think you are doing well if you have your steps up and you are keeping active that's all good 

If that is what you mean, a personal trainer will help you, as they teach you how to do things right, it does cost a bit though, if not Joe wicks is pretty good on YouTube I've done quite a lot of his videos with the kids, there probably are others that are good, I've not looked for a while tbh, if you have a local boot camp they can be good also, you may find they are open before gyms are it is outdoors, 

I'm no expert but if there is something inparticular you aren't sure of I might be able to assist 

When the gym re opens I MIGHT ask for a instructor lesson at least to see what he suggests 

40 minutes ago, framey said:

When the gym re opens I MIGHT ask for a instructor lesson at least to see what he suggests 

It won't do you any harm to have a go, I found they push you further than you will push yourself, but also will help you do things right, they can also give you a program to follow that might be a good thing for you 

I found the best way to keep in shape was aquafit... when I retired I started eating properly not junk on shifts as I was before and I put on weight... I started going to aquafit as the low impact work was kind to my back and knees... its great... twice a week and I was toned and fit... then lockdown hit... I have an exercise bike but its not the same... sadly the pool is closed til further notice... I'll be glad to get back after all this is over... theres a social side too and as most of the folks in the class were ladies of a certain age, I was the eye candy🤣🤣🤣🤣

62 and a cobra-back studmuffin...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by bluelabel

Being 34, I should be loving it, but I also love my food, heaviest I've ever been now (12st heavy??) yesterday me n the lad went for a bike ride... Good 10 miles. 

170 acre lake (Scotsmans Flash) looks very daunting... Seen a few on spoke to a few... Veeeery hard water, mainly Carp and Pike, BIG but in small numbers, people said if get a take its always a 20lb + but IF you get a take, spoke to 1 lad, and had 3 fish in 2 years. 

Back onto the exercise, I think biki g will be a new weekend pass time now. 

40 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I found the best way to keep in shape was aquafit... when I retired I started eating properly not junk on shifts as I was before and I put on weight... I started going to aquafit as the low impact work was kind to my back and knees... its great... twice a week and I was toned and fit... then lockdown hit... I have an exercise bike but its not the same... sadly the pool is closed til further notice... I'll be glad to get back after all this is over... theres a social side too and as most of the folks in the class were ladies of a certain age, I was the eye candy🤣🤣🤣🤣

62 and a cobra-back studmuffin...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good for you, blue, 👍

I bet they all think its David hasselhoff from baywatch, when you walk in the pool, 😎😎

I wish.... I hobble in.... jump in the deep end and they laugh em'selves sick as I flounder about... but as well as the fitness side if you work out with other folks, the social side keeps you going back, as you don't want to miss hearing about Ethel's "Problems" or Joan's "Little Trouble"...🤣

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

I wish.... I hobble in.... jump in the deep end and they laugh em'selves sick as I flounder about... but as well as the fitness side if you work out with other folks, the social side keeps you going back, as you don't want to miss hearing about Ethel's "Problems" or Joan's "Little Trouble"...🤣

I think it's always good to socialise, I miss the school runs quite a lot at the moment, just seeing someone different to chat to can be great, work isn't the same, I get sick of seeing some of those people 😂

Edited by elmoputney

And My day today 

Kids home school,shout, cry, scream have a breakdown about now, currently vaping in garage before work 

Get to work, become depressed as I drive into the gates, chat to people who will moan about something work related, get into a discussion where someone says Boris is doing the best he can, I get annoyed and disagree heartily and will probably slag off matt Hancock quite a lot, and moan about people not respecting social distancing guidelines, usually I say something to them also, like are you all trying to beat the record for idiots that can fit in a 2m square? 😁

People seem to think I am angry, I wouldn't be of they didn't annoy me so much 😂😂😂😂