Best hooklink material

ouchthathurt

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Cheers guys

I doubt I will use it anyway tbh unless I get really hard up for ideas, I don't want to get into faffing with bait and rigs this year 😂 

I AM keeping it simple  🤕

That’s a good bet mate, simple rigs, bait you have confidence in and you can rest with the knowledge that those parts of the equation are sorted and you can concentrate solely on location, knowing that the bait and rig you use will do the job provided the carp find it. 

12 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

That’s a good bet mate, simple rigs, bait you have confidence in and you can rest with the knowledge that those parts of the equation are sorted and you can concentrate solely on location, knowing that the bait and rig you use will do the job provided the carp find it. 

That's it, now I just need to remember how to get there its been so long 😂😢

30 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Nick, did you ever notice a difference in “stiffness” between the 15lb and 25lb amnesia? I didn’t really suffer hookpulls, only had one from memory - although that was the biggest carp in the pond, a 36lb mirror which spat the hook at the net! (Still mourn that loss even now 20yrs later!) the biggest drawback I found in using amnesia as a continuation into a hair was the size of the overhand knot forming the hair loop! It would tear into a bait something awful. I did tie up a fluro rig using ESP soft ghost, to a fox wide gape size 5 with the hair formed by continuing the ghost hooklink, it still looks crude! The hook and bait just didn’t “sit” right, so I would use a supple hair now. Yet years ago, it was my go to rig! Funny how things change. 

It is lol I used a lasoo rig in the wharf as i found the older carp were sitters you’d have a bleep then another a few minutes later typical bream bite so changed hooks to a g-point gamagatsu on a lasoo rig found after that first bleep it would just be a savage take single tone job mr carp was hanging himself then my profile pic is my biggest from there but what a fight 

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

Nick, did you ever notice a difference in “stiffness” between the 15lb and 25lb amnesia? I didn’t really suffer hookpulls, only had one from memory - although that was the biggest carp in the pond, a 36lb mirror which spat the hook at the net! (Still mourn that loss even now 20yrs later!) the biggest drawback I found in using amnesia as a continuation into a hair was the size of the overhand knot forming the hair loop! It would tear into a bait something awful. I did tie up a fluro rig using ESP soft ghost, to a fox wide gape size 5 with the hair formed by continuing the ghost hooklink, it still looks crude! The hook and bait just didn’t “sit” right, so I would use a supple hair now. Yet years ago, it was my go to rig! Funny how things change. 

There's a difference in stiffness between clear and black Amnesia as well as the 25 being a lot stiffer than the lower stains.

Black is more supple. 

I would tie as big a loop as possible, so the knot was only just going onto the bait. 

The rig was tied with a boilie on already. Then I'd take the bait off to store the rigs. 

Even a large loop could tear soft baits. 

12 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

I do like the look of the chod hammers... 

when did hooklinks get so complicated?? I used to catch stacks on Berkeley big game mono hooklinks in 15lb! It was my main line and I would just cut a length off and make a hooklink out of it! 

You ain't catching these days if it isn't complicated 🤔

58 minutes ago, yonny said:

They remind me of the old Chod Twisters which I didn't get on with at all.

I really like the TrigHammers but I think I'll give the choddy version a miss tbh.

I guess it depends on the rig you are using them for, I like the stiff rigger hooks for my stiff rigs,these will be similar but maybe with a better point, so a worthwhile investigation to me(or an excuse just to buy some more hooks😂) 🤔

Also I actually like a twister type hook(not chod) for my multi rigs too I like the squareness and the angle I get with shrink tube  lol

I suppose if we all used the same thing tackle companies wouldn't last long 😂

IMG_20210218_093045.thumb.jpg.56d4386a0431213a45e36f682d295c70.jpg

These are pretty much my rigs this year top to bottom 

Bottom bait /wafter stiff rig Gardner 25lb trick link,i might get some 15lb too 😁

PVA bag rig (smaller krank type hook this year) Bank tackle braid but might get some Gardner braid, I like Gardner stuff at present 

Pop up multi rig, with whatever coated braid I choose first lol either bank tackle, jelly wire, or ESP tungsten all seem to work fine 😂

Nice and simple stuff 👌

I do like the trighammers, when I first got them, i was a bit unsure, as I thought they may be a bit too thin in the wire, first session out and I caught an eel that I ended up badly distorting the hook when unhooking the rather lively snake with needlenose pliers, which didn’t settle my thoughts, but I caught a few carp with no problems at all, including a few hairy fights with an animal that got its head firmly buried in one of the few weed beds that sprouted up in the park lake. I had no problems with them at all and am now totally sold on them. 

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

IMG_20210218_093045.thumb.jpg.56d4386a0431213a45e36f682d295c70.jpg

These are pretty much my rigs this year top to bottom 

Bottom bait /wafter stiff rig Gardner 25lb trick link,i might get some 15lb too 😁

PVA bag rig (smaller krank type hook this year) Bank tackle braid but might get some Gardner braid, I like Gardner stuff at present 

Pop up multi rig, with whatever coated braid I choose first lol either bank tackle, jelly wire, or ESP tungsten all seem to work fine 😂

Nice and simple stuff 👌

Not a bad bit of sharpening there elmo

On 17/02/2021 at 12:34, salokcinnodrog said:

I lost a couple of fish to hook pulls on Ardleigh of all places using a stiff hair, so went back to more supple materials. Both fish were on stiff rigs made from 25lb Clear Amnesia continued through to form the hair. 

One of the fish I had played for around 10minutes, then it just 'let go'. 

Annoyingly I never had another take from that spot. 

I think a stiffer hair has it's place, but it does need freedom of movement, a pivot point or able to slide up and down the D or hookshank in the first place

The original improvement, hair made from braid

FB_IMG_1613684098623.jpg