Best hooklink material

ouchthathurt

4 hours ago, yonny said:

I only use chods and zigs when I believe there is no other method that can catch them in the given situation. I've caught plenty so imo you are missing out boys.

When they're nuts deep in heavy weed it has to be a chod.

When they're mid-water it has to be a zig. 

Ditto

What's your thoughts on the slip D rig?

Been watching a few videos on them and they seem pretty good for bottom baits and pop ups. I've tied a few up with metal bait screws for bottom baits. I usually like the standard knotless knot for bottom baits but these slip D rigs feel easier to tie. Gonna give them a try this year and see how they perform 👍

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Many moons ago I played with a similar version but the D went all the way back down the hooklink to the swivel (instead of back through the eye). It worked well but I can't be bothered to tie them anymore. I dont think it makes a huge difference over a standard chod.

I do think the chod can be improved by adding a tiny boom (like 1 or 2 inches, like a tiny hinge rig). This gives the rig the movement the standard chod lacks, and solves problems with the lead bouncing the hook out during the fight too.

Wasn't the extended D back down the hook link Roger Smith's original Savay version? 

I recall a carefully whipped D attached to the hook link in Tim Paisley's Big Carp

14 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Wasn't the extended D back down the hook link Roger Smith's original Savay version? 

I recall a carefully whipped D attached to the hook link in Tim Paisley's Big Carp

And fox releasing a hook with a whipped D attached 

https://picclick.co.uk/Fox-Carp-Master-Ready-Tied-Hooks-Longshank-D-163932889803.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Edited by framey

51 minutes ago, jh92 said:

What's your thoughts on the slip D rig?

Been watching a few videos on them and they seem pretty good for bottom baits and pop ups. I've tied a few up with metal bait screws for bottom baits. I usually like the standard knotless knot for bottom baits but these slip D rigs feel easier to tie. Gonna give them a try this year and see how they perform 👍

I just googled slip d rig and found loads of different ones which one in particular are you trying? 

Also are they just like a multi rig? 

14 minutes ago, framey said:

Yep just can’t change the hook as easy 

DKlzxoZW0AYLrjo.thumb.jpg.f53c3337cc90d9c48556a4f999edca2a.jpg

This is Julian cundiffs latest version of the multi rig, like you say it isn't so reusable, but it's also been my go to pop up rig for a good few months now, been more than happy with its performance so far tbh, you can even attach a small mesh bag if you want, I haven't used it for anything other than a pop up though 👍

This is going to be my bottom bait rig this year I think, personally I think the hookbait acts better and turns the hook faster on this set up (this is only my opinion though, still unproven)😁

IMG_20210129_165702.thumb.jpg.6562d21ab164524dc3b32b034cda0f32.jpg

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That’s what I had in mind from the description. I think you find something similar in Tiger bay by Rob Maylin 

1 hour ago, framey said:

I used to use these many years ago. I used to pull a 1.5 inch  piece of shrink tube down the rig  that I'd pull over the eye and then steam. Can't for the life of me recall what the make of shrink tube was but it was very stiff. I basically made the bent hook rig, which was banned pretty much everywhere by then. I smashed the lake up I was on at the time for a short while until a bailiff clocked my rig when I was unhooking a fish. Told me the bent hook rig was banned to which I argued that it was shrink tube and not a bent hook. I was told to stop using it or I'd be banned. I wouldn't have minded if the carp had mouth damage etc but it was nailed bang centre. So I then went onto the long shank nailer hook 😂

10 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I used to use these many years ago. I used to pull a 1.5 inch  piece of shrink tube down the rig  that I'd pull over the eye and then steam. Can't for the life of me recall what the make of shrink tube was but it was very stiff. I basically made the bent hook rig, which was banned pretty much everywhere by then. I smashed the lake up I was on at the time for a short while until a bailiff clocked my rig when I was unhooking a fish. Told me the bent hook rig was banned to which I argued that it was shrink tube and not a bent hook. I was told to stop using it or I'd be banned. I wouldn't have minded if the carp had mouth damage etc but it was nailed bang centre. So I then went onto the long shank nailer hook 😂

He’s an idiot lol

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

That's not a bad shout, I have tried a bit with zigs but never confidently, I was going to use them a bit more this winter but that hasn't materialised so far,

Chods I have also tried a bit I can see me using those more often I think, I should have more last year tbh, but didn't quite see how useful they can be, 

This is my so solid chod rig 😁 it's basically like a normal chod but with a massive D that you use to hold the bait on with, basically the bait won't blowback like any other rig and in theory will be super tough to eject? 

I would be interested to hear thoughts on it BTW my thoughts on it are that it could be revolutionary or completely terrible 😁

16134899811021798959857998747286.thumb.jpg.28fdbd6be3ce1f83cdfd2584815640f3.jpg

Your d is acting like a stiff hair do you have any movement after the hook elmo I’ve used really stiff hairs with no movement in and found you couldn’t say where the hook was going to be top lip etc that was my own findings if it was a small combi it works nicely and if you reverse it keep the stiff d but tie a short length of braid then the stiff bit that works awesome 

13 hours ago, emmcee said:

I basically made the bent hook rig, which was banned pretty much everywhere by then. I smashed the lake up I was on at the time for a short while until a bailiff clocked my rig when I was unhooking a fish. Told me the bent hook rig was banned to which I argued that it was shrink tube and not a bent hook. I was told to stop using it or I'd be banned.

I had a similar experience with a bailiff on my water, I was using a spod on a water with braided mainline and a tapered mono shockleader, the bailiff came wandering into the swim and asked me to pull my rods in for a rig check, (they were trying to stamp out dodgy rigs after a few had been found up trees etc - fair play in my book) after inspecting my rigs, (before asking me how it all worked - he admitted to not fishing for “silt pigs” (carp) as he loved his pike - begs the question why he’s inspecting carp rigs but still...) he then turned his eye on my spod rod and with a triumphant gleam in his eye pounced on my shockleader as all leaders are banned! I explained that a spod rod isn’t a “fishing” rod as such, so a carp can’t possibly be tethered by a spod, but he wasn’t having it. He took pictures of my spod rod, which I posed with rather fetchingly I felt, and reported me to the head bailiff, I was warned off for an instant lifetime ban... when the head bailiff saw the pics, he burst out laughing and told me I was in the clear, before explaining to the other bailiff exactly why someone would have a shockleader on a spod rod... 

14 hours ago, emmcee said:

I did, or even still do the same with shrink tube. 

I heard that longshank hooks with an inturned eye like the Fox and Nailer equivalent could do as much damage as the BHR. 

The Partridge piggyback were a nicely curved shank as well. 

Personally, possibly because I was not fishing for single figure fish and rather than use forceps with deep or well hooked fish, just cut the eye of the hook off with wire cutters and pushed it through point first, I never noticed any mouth damage. 

I did use the Fox D hooks, but after the Series 2's I think it was let me down started doing my own, making a tidy D on the shank. Think I still have a couple of my own in the pop up rig wallet, although now I do tend to use Amnesia with a knotless knot and lighter tag the end through the hook eye

14 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Your d is acting like a stiff hair do you have any movement after the hook elmo I’ve used really stiff hairs with no movement in and found you couldn’t say where the hook was going to be top lip etc that was my own findings if it was a small combi it works nicely and if you reverse it keep the stiff d but tie a short length of braid then the stiff bit that works awesome 

Only a swivel and the spring of the chod monofilament, in theory the swivel should still turn but I did wonder if it could end up not hooking correctly 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Only a swivel and the spring of the chod monofilament, in theory the swivel should still turn but I did wonder if it could end up not hooking correctly 

I lost a couple of fish to hook pulls on Ardleigh of all places using a stiff hair, so went back to more supple materials. Both fish were on stiff rigs made from 25lb Clear Amnesia continued through to form the hair. 

One of the fish I had played for around 10minutes, then it just 'let go'. 

Annoyingly I never had another take from that spot. 

I think a stiffer hair has it's place, but it does need freedom of movement, a pivot point or able to slide up and down the D or hookshank in the first place

Going back to 99/00 I used to use short stiff rigs of about 4-5” made of 15lb clear amnesia, to a size 6 wide gape style hook (I forget what I was using back then - fox series 2 maybe??) fishing bottom baits, the whole rig was made from amnesia, including the hair, it looked (and was) crude, but it worked, it never occurred to me at the time to use a supple hair, I just switched to amnesia from braid (silkworm or merlin at the time) because everyone else was using braid, and my braided rigs would tangle - a hang up I still have today (thoroughly soaking a soft braid hooklink and using larger baits and/or stringers helps tangles though) then I discovered snakeskin! Nowadays, if I use a fluro hooklink, I tie it with a supple braided hair. 

11 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I lost a couple of fish to hook pulls on Ardleigh of all places using a stiff hair, so went back to more supple materials. Both fish were on stiff rigs made from 25lb Clear Amnesia continued through to form the hair. 

One of the fish I had played for around 10minutes, then it just 'let go'. 

Annoyingly I never had another take from that spot. 

I think a stiffer hair has it's place, but it does need freedom of movement, a pivot point or able to slide up and down the D or hookshank in the first place

Totally agree

Nick, did you ever notice a difference in “stiffness” between the 15lb and 25lb amnesia? I didn’t really suffer hookpulls, only had one from memory - although that was the biggest carp in the pond, a 36lb mirror which spat the hook at the net! (Still mourn that loss even now 20yrs later!) the biggest drawback I found in using amnesia as a continuation into a hair was the size of the overhand knot forming the hair loop! It would tear into a bait something awful. I did tie up a fluro rig using ESP soft ghost, to a fox wide gape size 5 with the hair formed by continuing the ghost hooklink, it still looks crude! The hook and bait just didn’t “sit” right, so I would use a supple hair now. Yet years ago, it was my go to rig! Funny how things change.