Best Winter Boot/Wellie

Evening chaps, i hope this post finds you well during these strange times. The reason for the post is basically during a mornings pike fishing on Saturday, as the rain, sleet and snow battered me along the canal I noticed my whole body was perfectly warm and happy to sit in the -4 wind chill conditions apart from my feet, despite wearing the skeetex wellie with a brand new thermal liner inside. 

Id layered up as I would normally do which consists of, a thermal base layer, trakker 2 piece base layer, joggers and a thick hoodie, fortis bib and brace trousers and a fj9 jacket, coupled with some army surplus waterproofs over the top. 

Given the temperature rating for the skee tex wellie iv never been hugely impressed with them out on the bank. On pondering if there were better options on the market I came across a post on facebook about the new fortis wellies, retailing at around the £109.99, the comments consisted of 95% tearing them apart for the claimed ( ridiculous price and carp tax ) The remaining 5% were people claiming that £109.99 was cheap for a good quality warm boot and claimed the Le Chameau boots were the ones to buy. 

Id be interested to see what your boot/wellie of choice is during the colder months, any vouches or ones to stay clear of. 

Much appreciated 

Take care

Dash

109.99 is a lot of money if they are rubbish lol

i suffer from cold feet 

I use muck “chore”boots and merino wool socks and not felt the cold yet

i bought my mrs the Arctic version but it hasn’t been cold enough for her to put them on yet lol

Edited by framey

I don't do wellies, preferring combat boots and TFG Extreme boots. 

https://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/carp/clothing-and-footwear/tf-gear-extreme-boots

One thing I do do is walk to the swim in combats, and then change into my Extremes, often changing socks.

I know it's a faff, but sweaty wet feet get cold. 

Framey's choice of Muck Boots is a good one, guy I used to work with swears by the Arctic and Muckmasters

I have had a pair of Muck Boots for over 10 years. Use them for dog walking & fishing. I have the one's that are a foot high so good in grass & dead easy to get on & off. I often fish  2/3 hrs into dark in winter when most anglers I know are tucked up for the night so need something that keep my feet warm & they have been great. I have read that they can slip but I fished the boards at Patshull for years without a problem.

I'm not a fan of the welly type boots (Muck/Baffin etc).

I've been through loads of different boot over the years and actually found decent leg wear makes a bigger difference than most winter boots. Keep the legs toastie and they feed the feet warm blood.

That said, the boots I'm using at the moment are the best (i.e. most effective) I've come across. They're North Face Tsumoro's.

I wear this version most of the time and did a 12k walk the other day when it was raining 

I believe that equates to 16000 steps lol

https://muckbootcompany.co.uk/collections/men/products/mens-muckster-ii-ankle-all-purpose-lightweight-shoe-black

I bought them about a year-18 months ago on the recommendation of mark Bryant from bait works 

great even for dewy mornings in the summer.

I keep the longer chore boot for proper winter and deeper floods

For me wellies are a no no, they don’t keep your feet warm, if anything, I find they can cool your feet down. I tend to stick to the alt berg or magnum boots I wore in the army. Thin cotton socks with thick thermal socks over them. I avoid gortex or waterproof socks as although they stop water getting in, sweat can’t get out and your feet get damp anyway. 

6 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

For me wellies are a no no, they don’t keep your feet warm, if anything, I find they can cool your feet down. I tend to stick to the alt berg or magnum boots I wore in the army. Thin cotton socks with thick thermal socks over them. I avoid gortex or waterproof socks as although they stop water getting in, sweat can’t get out and your feet get damp anyway. 

HiTec Magnums are hard to find at the moment. The Nitehawk combat boots are good. 

A couple of weeks ago I had to resort to chest waders to cross the outflow, and pull some weed out to  get baits in the water, I got flipping freezing feet. Back on the bank and into the Nitehawk boots a lot warmer. 

https://www.nitehawkproducts.co.uk/clothing/footwear.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6t6ABhDMARIsAONIYyzJ2b0hwKArqSSBA5CB9gG5kqpCLWjany2yP4jpAVa7iedVkz785pYaAtSIEALw_wcB

As Yonny says, warm legs help keep your feet warm. I've been wearing combat trousers with Hoogs Strathmoor over trousers over the top, but even with chesties they were cold. 

30 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

HiTec Magnums are hard to find at the moment. The Nitehawk combat boots are good. 

A couple of weeks ago I had to resort to chest waders to cross the outflow, and pull some weed out to  get baits in the water, I got flipping freezing feet. Back on the bank and into the Nitehawk boots a lot warmer. 

https://www.nitehawkproducts.co.uk/clothing/footwear.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6t6ABhDMARIsAONIYyzJ2b0hwKArqSSBA5CB9gG5kqpCLWjany2yP4jpAVa7iedVkz785pYaAtSIEALw_wcB

As Yonny says, warm legs help keep your feet warm. I've been wearing combat trousers with Hoogs Strathmoor over trousers over the top, but even with chesties they were cold. 

The nighthawk boots look really good,  could you tell me if they are waterproof, i can't find it anywhere in the information. 

Cheers Keith. 

24 minutes ago, finchey said:

The nighthawk boots look really good,  could you tell me if they are waterproof, i can't find it anywhere in the information. 

Cheers Keith. 

Not above the mesh where it meets the leather. (You can see it better on the brown ones). I found that out when I did try to walk the outflow when it was higher than normal. However they are OK in rain, so I would say water resistant. 

They are decent walking boots as well, and comfortable enough to wear all day.