Scaled down dead bait rod.

Evening gents. Im putting together a little bit of kit so I can have a go at float fishing for pike, nothing to heavy duty. Im just looking to fish a simple float setup fishing baits like small sprats ext, fishing venues like canals, small rivers and ponds. I feel a big 12ft  3.5tc pike rod would be overkill for what Im going to be doing. 

I feel a smaller rod would fit me better, maybe around the 7/8foot mark given the venues I'm looking to fish, could a light/medium jerk bait rod be used for this? Coupled with a 3000/4000 sized reel? 

If anyone has a similar scaled down setup id like to hear what your using, or if you can recommend me anything that would be great, many thanks

Dan

Your problem is setting the hooks with a shorter rod, not many are stiff enough. 

On a jerkbait or lure rod it is the fish hitting the lure that sets the hooks. 

You might find a 10ft carp rod with a 3lb TC is OK, but to be honest, not having done it myself I wouldn't know. 

My pike rods are 12ft and 2.75 or 3lb tc

On 17/01/2021 at 16:43, salokcinnodrog said:

Your problem is setting the hooks with a shorter rod, not many are stiff enough. 

On a jerkbait or lure rod it is the fish hitting the lure that sets the hooks. 

You might find a 10ft carp rod with a 3lb TC is OK, but to be honest, not having done it myself I wouldn't know. 

My pike rods are 12ft and 2.75 or 3lb tc

Appreciate the info Nick, I went for one of my 9ft 2.75tc carp rods in the end. Seems to feel like a nice balanced setup. Unfortunately no fish to report but there's always next session. Many thanks. Dan